$300 Challenge until Feb 1st..
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default $300 Challenge until Feb 1st..

I only have $300 until the end of the month..I'm pretty sure all I will need to buy is milk and eggs food wise and gas for the vehicles.

I have never done this before..but, I have goals to pay off our debt so I'm challenging myself to live on very little this month.

Please be my support system my FV family.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Make that $200 for the month found another bill I need to pay this month.

I have to admit this makes me very uncomfortable
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can't do it, sorry. Our dog will need x-rays and other follow-up care this month. We're expecting that to be at least $200 by itself and prefer to pay it all at once in spite of our vet always offering us monthly payments at zero interest. It's easier to just pay it off and be done. We'll also need gas in the truck which will be another $75 or so, you get the idea, and since we're burning propane like crazy, we might have to get our 500-gallon tank filled again this month, too, which would be over $500. Daytime high temps below zero tend to raise havoc with heating fuel bills. Luckily we have a contract again this year which assures us a price below the current market price.

But I do know if anyone can do it, Brenda, you can! I'm also pretty sure you have a safety net in case you come up short. Don't worry, be happy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can do it Brenda!! You can, You can!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I support you. Can you pay partials. I did that when i was tight. I just sent the Dr. $50. because I only had that etc.

I cant play because 2 dogs need shots and the 3rd need HW and blood levels for his pain meds plus a tail check and we need litter. Plus licenses.
    Also DH need shoes and new glasses w/ exam.Plus i said he can order a hard drive for his birthday the 11th.
    Apparently I can $3000.!!!
    but again i support you.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Not counting surgery expenses, I think I can get by on $200 the rest of the month, but only because I have already bought so much food and cat litter this week.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know you can do this Brenda, and while I would join along, I have my car payment and other bills that need to get paid so that makes me out BUT YOU GOT THIS!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

The $200 is just for food and gas only btw.

FW~I don't need to do this now as the debt is on no interest credit cards for 12-months..1-card has to be paid within 8-months and the other is 10-months before any interest accrues..I just want it paid off!

SD~you know me to well my friend..lol..yes, I always have *unseen* reserved money. I just don't like having debt other then our mortgage payment..once bitten twice shy..I refuse to let get into financial problems again like when I lost my job 6-years ago.

I'm just not use to being limited or putting restrictions on myself..

Hugs to you all for your support.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This seems do-able but I only have 2 people to feed, not 5. Just over 3 weeks to go!
    Also a good time to start the diet if you need to! Seriously - if you are counting calories your food bill will be less.

I am making a several soups this week. Definitely a cheaper way to eat. Try Martha Stewart's veg soup recipe if you have not already made it. That is one I will make soon. I bought a bag of mixed vegs for $1, will add some garden okra from the freezer, can of tomatoes, onion, etc. Give it a try. She is not specific on the vegs so use what you have. Could add barley or rice to thicken it up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dlrcpa View Post
    This seems do-able but I only have 2 people to feed, not 5. Just over 3 weeks to go!
    Also a good time to start the diet if you need to! Seriously - if you are counting calories your food bill will be less.

I am making a several soups this week. Definitely a cheaper way to eat. Try Martha Stewart's veg soup recipe if you have not already made it. That is one I will make soon. I bought a bag of mixed vegs for $1, will add some garden okra from the freezer, can of tomatoes, onion, etc. Give it a try. She is not specific on the vegs so use what you have. Could add barley or rice to thicken it up.
    We have 5 in our household did have 6 but my middle son is in the USMC..All adult males excluding myself.

I keep several months worth of food at all times (meat is at a years supply right now..as I pressure can, food saver and my youngest son put 2-deer in our freezer) but, I'm one that never turns down a good sale..so it's hard for me to not look at the grocery store flyers..then again this is how I keep my family in food by stocking up when the price is right.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a 4-day old ham carcass simmering away that I will turn into split pea, barley& ham soup..and 2-chicken carcasses that I will be turning into stock for chicken soup..this will be in our meal plan this week.

I made what people call stuffed cabbage but I layer it like a casserole (much easier this way) that we had for last nights supper along with homemade bread so will have lots of food for the week.

I'm baking a crumb cake for our dessert tonight.

I will need eggs and milk in a few days but, that's about it so far..this gives me a good idea where I'm weak in my food stores over the next 3-weeks.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hear you on the good deal Brenda, I'm on a year long challenge to eat down my freezers and pantry so this fall we can put in new and we hopefully will be pretty bare by then. It's hard!!! I want to just get everything at costco, but it doesn't make sense when i'm trying to keep a small grocery budget.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just gas and food? I could do that, but I'd be cheating since I'm not likely to get to a store for another five to seven weeks, possibly more. Our injured dog needs constant supervision and the vet discouraged us from taking him along in the truck, so I'm home for the duration while his broken leg heals. This isn't really unusual for us anyway, because of our hill in the winter time. We stock up so we only need fresh stuff, for the most part, in winter. Some days it's very dicey getting up the hill to our house, so we don't add any unnecessary trips. I haven't been off the place since Christmas Eve.

Husby's a good grocery shopper as long as I give him a list. The list for one store tomorrow is two heads of cabbage because they're .79 each. Gotta love diet season!

I'm like you on a good deal, Brenda. Happens all the time. I refuse to pay full price for stuff like 99% lean ground turkey, so I'm always looking for the markdowns. One of our stores always has great markdown deals and I've learned all the places they hide them. LOL

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

OH then easy. I am so stocked and i just got more bread and milk. I had 2 =18's of eggs. We are only spending about $75. on gas per month w/ Dh working at home and Kroger fuel points. I used $50. of my cash back ($75.) for food. I have at least $10. in bottles return (.10 here the only state).I went into the fall overstock w/ the idea of eating here and not dragging things home in blizzards. If DH (never) would give up milk-then so easy. I'm in. His bday meal is beef tips and noodles and I will make brownies. MAYBE I'll get him ice cream. We really dont need it but...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can totally do this Brenda! I am sure with all the canning you do and your pantry you barely need anything from the grocery store. You got this, girl!
    2020 Pay Off Debt Challenge: $22,887.41/$25,676.45 (Goal: Pay Off By 12/30/2020)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast