9 Reasons Your Grocery Bill Is So High, & How To Lower It
    Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default 9 Reasons Your Grocery Bill Is So High, & How To Lower It

The writer brings up a number of good tips. 9 Reasons Your Grocery Bill Is So High, & How To Lower It

Buying staples on sale, and knowing whether it is a good price are two I follow most often.

There's a lot of other good financial info on that site.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine has crept up because the kids are gone. And for a minute we wanted name brand salsa and store bought pie. And when we wanted it not on sale. BUT like eating out-the thrill has passed
    Our bill is also up because DH travels at a moments notice. I shop for us and then its me. We dont even like the same things.
    Because rotting food does out gas and fast ripen other food.
    Because just once in awhile I dont want to clip coupons
    Because i am bad about uploading digital coupons and miss 5x sales.
    Because I hate the sales where you mix and match-you always goof the count and get nailed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Let's see which ones I do or am working on doing:

1. Lack of planning.

We usually shop with a list, but that can change at a moment's notice. One of our local stores often has unadvertised specials that have deep discounts, and I buy in large quantities if it's items we will use. That's why we own freezers. Usually the discounts are for perishables but not always. For this reason, we don't have a grocery budget. However, we know our monthly average and it rarely changes.

Meals are usually prepared with at least three servings in mind, two for the meal itself, and planned-overs for Husby's lunch the next days. Often they're prepared for more than three servings so we can have another supper from the same batch of stuff. Or extra servings are frozen to be used as needed.

2. Not getting deals on staples.

Buying enough staples to get to the next likely sale is second nature for us after all these years. Some things we eat almost every day, like bananas and milk, are rarely on sale here so we just have to suck it up and pay full price.

3. Meataholic.

I've been working for years on cutting back on our meat consumption. I'm even more determined to do that these days. A three-ounce (cooked weight) steak is a serving, and with the right sides it's more than enough. I'm also working on adding more vegetarian meals to our diets. So far our favorites are falafel and portobello mushroom burgers. A good salad with boiled eggs is good, too. I'm planning to learn to do a lot more with beans. I've always been adventurous with seasonings, since most have no calories so when I'm restricted as far as portions and some bad ingredients like cheese, I can still go nuts with flavor and make foods more satisfying that way.

4. Fridge/freezer neglect.

Need to do better on this one. Of course we use freezers/fridge for leftovers. I've used our freezers for make-ahead meals for years now and don't see that changing. I do need to keep closer watch on fresh produce in the fridge though.

5. Fridge/freezer overuse.

Food is always cooled before it goes into the fridge here, and I do make sure the freezers and fridge can circulate air. That's one big reason I subdivide space in the freezes, because not only does it help with organization, but it allows for easy air circulation by keeping the baskets slightly away from the edges.

6. One-time events.

I do a lot of batch cooking. I have a good idea what freezes well and I often freeze small portions of things I'm not sure of, just to see if it will freeze well or not. Then I can make a note on the recipe and make larger batches the next time if it does freeze well, or know by the recipe that it does not and then decide if I want to do the work to make small batches.

7. Ignoring the seasons.

We used to buy without paying attention to the seasons but we're much better about that the past few years. We no longer bother with stuff like watermelon in the winter, mostly because it's not very good compared to summer melons. So I'd say we're doing okay in that area now.

8. No back-pocket recipes.

I don't really understand this one. Don't we all have recipes we use repeatedly? Otherwise we'd be having to find new recipes for everything, all the time. I also don't understand it unless the author does not maintain a well-stocked pantry. I know some people don't. But in our case, we could go weeks without having to go to the the store and still have great meals without a lot of thought.

9. Following deals too often.

We usually do question deals and compare sale prices vs. the regular prices of other brands. Often, the advertised price isn't that great while the store brand is cheaper than the sale price of the national brand.

I think we're doing pretty well, per this article, but like with most things, there are always areas we can do better.

Interesting read.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm only home on the weekends and my hubby does a lot of the grocery shopping at Winn Dixie instead of Walfart or save-a-lot or shopping the deals......That's why our grocery bill is so high. He's better than he was when we first got together but there is still room for improvement.