2020 Grocery Budget Challenge - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Martha, did you know you can buy refillable K cups? That way you could buy coffee in larger quantities, probably cheaper per cup.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Grocery prices have been going up for quite a while. Farmers are struggling due to factors such as flooding and trade wars. I expect increases to continue as more farmers are bankrupted. We noticed on our drive home from Missouri last fall that too many crops were still in the fields, many in standing water. It didn't look good. Climate change is wreaking havoc on the heartland where so much of our food is produced, another reason I expect rising prices.
    I noticed this past weekend, driving through Missouri, that many of those fields still have standing water, and ponds and lakes are full to the brim. A wet spring will mean more flooding.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

1/8 went grocery shopping heard rain and storms was suppose to be moving in today and then turn real cold i was needing pay couple bills anyway.Spent $54.86 just for groceries some things i didn't need just now but will be using sooner or later.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ham went on sale so I bought one. I regretted not getting one at Christmas when they were cheaper. Spent $38 so far this month so doing well. I did NOT buy any bread products or sweets. Did buy 5 lb box of clementines on sale. There is a turkey in the freezer that I will cook in the next few weeks. Ham will be cut up and frozen including the bone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We got a little Cure 81 ham today for $1.99/lb.

The forecast is for another wet spring, which will mean late planting which will again push the harvest later into fall into potentially wet weather. It's a worrisome cycle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So, it's the Can-Can sale at ShopRite and even though it meant that I wasn't as low as I would have liked, but I stocked up on things and next week should be next to nothing. I won't need any cereal or pasta. I also had my price driven up because I needed new Olay Regenerist lotion, which is super expensive, but it is great for my sensitive skin, and, I like to think, keeps me looking young. And I bought my John Frieda blonder shampoo, which I haven't bought in ages because it's so expensive.

The good news is, I had a $50 gift card to Acme from my parents, so that cut down what I spent. Makes me happy. :slight_smile:

**ShopRite**
    4 boxes Pop Tarts (I don't buy these ever, but they were on sale and I forgot to get them for the kids stockings this year and they were on sale) $1.88 each (normally $2.49 each)
    2 boxes SleepyTime Tea $3.79 each (these were supposed to be on sale...they weren't. I wouldn't have bought them at this price)
    1 12 roll pack Cottonelle $7.99 (normally $10.99)
    4 boxes Jolly Time microwave popcorn $1.49 each (Normally $2.49 each...they have the free Redbox codes inside the boxes, which we use...so, in addition to the popcorn being on sale, being something we eat by the bucket, we also get free movies)
    6 cans of Green Giant corn $.59 each (normally $1.69 each)
    4 cans of ShopRite kidney beans $.50 each (normally $.89 each)
    1 canister Progresso bread crumbs $1.00 (normally $1.99)
    12 boxes Ronzoni pasta $.50 each (normally $1.69 each) We shouldn't need pasta again for months
    4 boxes Kraft Mac and cheese $.88 each (Normally $1.39 each)
    4 boxes Special K $1.49 each (normally $3.59 each...big sale so I stocked up)
    2 bags Herr's tortilla chips $2.50 each (normally $4.29 each)
    1 box Ring Dings $2.50 (normally $3.49)
    1 box Entenmann's donuts $2.84 (normally $5.69)
    1 lb 93% lean ground beef $6.37
    1 large pack organic chicken breasts $9.82
    1 pack organic chicken thighs $6.85
    10 navel oranges $5.98 (they are supposed to be 10 for $10...I think the cashier keyed in the wrong code)
    1 lb of butter $2.99 (normally $4.99)
    2 gallons 1% organic milk $4.99 each
    4 boxes Banquet Turkey sausage $.99 each (normally $1.99 each)
    1 long loaf French bread (we are having pasta with meatballs and sausage tonight...I was inspired to get some bread to go with it) $1.99
    1 4 pack of Pure Protein drinks $6.99

Total $117.42

**Acme**
    1 big box Goldfish crackers $8.39 (normally $8.99)
    1 Signature Kitchens ice drink $.69 (normally $.88)
    2 jars Signature Kitchens pasta sauce $1.50 each (normally $1.99 each)
    2 packets Signature Kitchens Chili Mix $.39 each (normally $.79 each)
    1 bags Reese's peanut butter cups $.99 each (couldn't resist...normally $4.99 each)
    3 boxes Kellogg's Special K $1.47 each (normally $3.99 each)
    SmartWater Flavored with Cucumber and Lime FREE (normally $1.89) it's gross, but it was free
    2 18 count eggs $1.25 each (normally $2.49 each)
    6 bags Lucerne shredded cheese $1.99 each (normally $2.79 each)
    1 bottle Signature Kitchens parmesan cheese $3.29 (normally $3.69)
    1 John Frieda blonder shampoo $8.99 (normally $10.99)
    1 jar Olay Regenerist lotion $26.99 (normally $28.99)
    1 loaf Signature Kitchens white bread $1.49
    2 bags Mama Lucia's Meatballs (I've never had these before, but they are on big sale and I'm interested in spending less time making meatballs today, so I went ahead and got them) $1.50 each (normally $5.99 each)
    2.35 lb green grapes $7.03 (normally $9.38)

Total $81.37 minus the $50 gift card brings the total to $31.37

Total: $148.79/$200.00

Next week, I am shooting for under $100. Fingers crossed!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    Martha, did you know you can buy refillable K cups? That way you could buy coffee in larger quantities, probably cheaper per cup.
    I know lol just lazy have some. you can even get paper filters and even disposable you fill ones. my coffee is the strongest you can get in kcups. dh likes med. we still have our drip coffee machine too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know it may seem like a lot, but my goal is $500 for 5 people. We've almost *never* hit that goal, so if I can get it down to that, I'd be thrilled.

My strategies so far in January to get to that goal:
    * Did a full pantry/fridge/freezer inventory, and have been aiming to use up products we already have as much as possible.
    * I have been doing a weekly menu plan, based off the pantry and freezer inventory.
    * Make weekly shopping list based on the menu plan, and only shop off that list 1x week.

What I haven't done but plan to do in the future, once we pare down pantry products a bit:
    * Plan menu off what's on sale that week.
    * Shift to low-cost recipes using inexpensive / bulk ingredients.
    * Cook in bulk / freeze meals.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to post while in town Tuesday i spent $24.89 on groceries. Not sure if i will be spending more this month on groceries just depend on how things goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Safeway is having 50 cent sale so I will take advantage of that. Lots of stores also having "superbowl" type sales including chili ingredients. Which are also good meatloaf and meatball ingredients.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I got soups, tomatoes, canned beans and pasta at Safeway for 50 cents/box/can. The 2 free items were out of stock naturally but not urgent. Got a piece of beef and $5 bottle of Cabernet to make beef burgundy, a rather expensive meal but will keep hubby happy. Still within grocery budget. I bought buttermilk to make cake, muffins, bread. Should see if I can make my own - not substitute but cultured. Target price is better on some things (bread flour, vitamins), I will probably order at beginning of February.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Grocery shop today for the meat markdowns, did very well and overall just a few $ under budget for January. Several things going into pantry and freezer. Got 10 lb store-brand bread flour which I was very happy about, did not know the store was still selling their own brand and several $ cheaper than King Arthur which is what most stores display. I will keep February same at $140.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm in for Feb. I totaled Jan receipts and they were around $425. This is EVERYTHING including pet food, pads. There's just basically just me and hubs. The kid still lives here but she pretty much buys her own stuff or does take out. Way way to much. Only defense is I was down pretty much 6 months in wheelchair or a walker and stockpile and supplies went to crap. He went to store but stuff got used and not restocked. Just really started about first of Dec redoing.

So most everything is restocked and unless they finally schedule this surgery we won't need much. If they do I want some more of the mac & cheese and few cans soup.

Feb goal is between $200 and $225. Would like to keep closer to the $200. We have a bunch of work needs to be done in both bathrooms and it won't be cheap. And it's not his thing. So there's that. I dread hearing the numbers. I need to save every dollar and change I can for awhile. Hoping the floors won't need to be replaced. When we moved in here..... lets just say never hire a cheap plumber. Actual plumber was fine but he let his dumb ass brother do the work. Stab me with a fork.

So yeah.... between $200 and $225.
    Bank of America is THE godfather of Hell with Wells Fargo running neck and neck. When the world ends the only things that will be left are cockroaches, Walmart, Wells Fargo and Bank of America. Not necessarily in that order. The order remains to be seen.

Challenges
    Coupon/Sales Challenge Feb
    $8.00

Grocery Challenge/Feb
    Goal $250.00
    Total $33.55

Eat Out No More Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp/8

No Spend Challenge/Feb
    Goal 20
    Accomp 4

Change Jar 2020
    $

Christmas Fund 2020
    $

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I calculated the January grocery shopping and surprised myself. I budgeted $400 and spent $350. Now, if I could get that lower.....I'll work on that.

I cooked the frozen ham today and baked potatoes. So, that will make sandwiches, scalloped potatoes or eggs & ham for the next few days. I may even try a refrigerated roll dough with the ham, mozzarella and mustard or mayo inside and then top with a butter garlic glaze.... Kinda like a stuffed roll? Not sure how it will turn out, but worth a shot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had budget 200. for Jan but only spent $100.34 that for groceries and hba.Going for $175. from now on this year hope i can not go over even when i start back stock piling.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast