Grocery Challenge for November!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile Grocery Challenge for November!

Hi all you wonderful people!!!
    It's that time again to set our goal for our monthly grocery budget challenge. With the holidays coming up it could be a real challenge for some of us to stay within our budgets. Just remember to be on the lookout for those great deals on turkeys and all the extra fixens! If you can swing it, it's great to pick up an extra turkey or 2 for your freezer when turkey is at rock bottom prices of FREE with your qualifying purchases.
    I'm setting my goal for $200 again. That seems to be a reasonable amount for our family. We are going to my SIL's for Thanksgiving and they are doing the turkey, so I'll do some side dishes to take to that. I'm still getting a turkey or 2 for the freezer though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I'll set mine for 220$.

I've already talked to dh and we agreed to skip doing a turkey this year. (turkey sandwhiches instead) I'll enjoy not baking and cleaning up that thing

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Originally posted by aylasmommy
    I think I'll set mine for 220$.

I've already talked to dh and we agreed to skip doing a turkey this year. (turkey sandwhiches instead) I'll enjoy not baking and cleaning up that thing

Heather,
    I'm just the opposite! I love baking a big turkey. I made one last week and we have been enjoying the leftovers ever since. Turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, turkey enchilades! Yum!!!
    You know, I don't think I even know how to cook in small amounts. I've always made things in big batches (I grew up in a family of 6 with lots of friends joining us for meals and helped cook for my parent's big parties also). Now that I have 3 teenaged sons and all their friends here off and on for meals, it's a matter of survival!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lol Debbie

I tried to like turkey, really I did, but for some reason it just doesn't settle right with my taste buds...and then dh will *only* eat the breast part so that leaves the rest of the turkey to go to waste. And he's the same way with chicken too.

Actually, I do like cooking those tiny chickens

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

okay, I'm in for the first time and a little nervous....I'm going to say $250 for my first time out and see how it goes...wish me luck

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Crossing my fingers and toes and wishing you good luck Melina!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I really blew it last month! I will try for $200 and include what I spent my last trip. I'm hoping to fill the freezer with meat!

You can do it melina! Don't feel bad if you don't make your goal though, I think I've done it once in over a year!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I forgot to keep my total for last month but it was under the goal, i do remember that!
    Since my pantry is empty and so is my freezer (top of my fridge), plus we are hoping to get a freezer I am going to bump my goal for this month and say $400.
    My goal is to stock up for months like last, where i had less than $200! This includes all non food stuff too, dog/cat food, tp etc.
    So far we have bought dog food
    1.5 gals of milk
    4 doz eggs
    many meats
    5 lb of flour
    carrots
    25lbs potatoes
    3lb onions
    14 lbs frozen veggies
    and I forget what all else. It was a carful though!
    total spent, $90
    Total remaining $310

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I will try for this month but will set mine rather high because I want to buy several turkeys when they are like 5.oo with no minimum purchase at certain stores, cut them in half and begin anew on a new and improved LOW carb diet. So I will set it at 200.00. My freezers are full and the cupboards look pretty good too, so I am pretty sure that I can do it.

The big problem at the moment is the bargains at the striking supermarkets. Dh and I have purchased 20 whole chickens this week, they are .39 a pound! With deals like that I do cross the lines and I DO spend the money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I always forget to keep track, but this month I need to get serious.    With less money coming in, I need to stick with an amount and not go over.    So I'm setting mine at $300 for 5, not including pet food.       I do have a freezer half full of deer meat and we are getting a free pig, so thats going to really cut down on the meat.    I purchased a case of chickens at $1.09 a lb (okay ladies you can pick yourselves up off the ground now.) and that was ON SALE and the lowest price I could get!!!

I will pick up a couple of turkeys when they come on sale for 99¢ and have them in the freezer for Christmas.    

Melina, don't feel bad if you don't make it.    We all do that quite often.    Its a start and you might find you can lower your amount or have to raise it.    Thats okay too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, we went shopping today

6 cans of soup 4.49 (with 1.00 coupon)
    12 begals 2.99
    Chocolate snacks for the month 9.79
    Coffee 39 oz can 2.89 (with 1.00 coupon) adding to stock pile
    Diapers 20.99 (with 2.00 coupon)

For a grand total of: $41.15 YIKES!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$1.09 a pound? Gee, it might be worth your time to drive to Oregon--they're on sale here for .59/lb! LOL

Since our 1/4 beef isn't ready yet, I stayed under the line for October, but November will be UGLY. We are doing Thanksgiving and I will have the beef to pay for, so I am going to say (gasp, BIG swallow ) $450.00. $150.00 of this will be th ebeef, so I don't feel too bad.

I started on November yesterday and spent just over $200.00. this will last (easily!) for three weeks. It would last for four except we will be having family for Thanksgiving. Also, the special diet for Sophie, our diabetic kitty, is $10.60 for FOUR pounds (OUCH!).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

more additions:

2 9oz frozen green bean packages @ 0.25 = 0.50
    4 pounds of spagetti noodles: $1.00
    3 1 gallon milk @ 2.17 = 6.51
    Cheese = 1.57
    butter = 0.44

today's total: 10.02
    month to date total: $51.17

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Well I spent:

$10.00 on 75 lbs. of potatoes

$5.75 on 5 doz. eggs

Got everything yesterday at the Hutterite colony.     This leaves me with a balance of $284.25.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Safeway had twenty doubles, so I got four bags of groceries plus two gallons of milk for 12.82! I got four free dederants, two lotions that they paid me to take home, and more goodies.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast