Frugal Village Forums banner

August grocery challenge

4K views 69 replies 19 participants last post by  sunshine 
#1 ·
Boy did I blow it for July. I lost a number of receipts and didn't keep track. I know I probably went over my goal. Not good!!!

For the month of Aug., I'm setting my goal at $350 again. I need to do some major stockpiling for the coming winter months.

Thats for 5, no pet supplies included.

#2 ·
I'm so off track it's not funny. I haven't shopped properly since November! ACK!

I have already started for August. My goal is $250.00 for family of 5, one in pullups (still!)

So Far:

2 bottles Windex cleaner
2 bottles Fantastick cleaner
1 case water (4 bonus bottles, so it was for a 28 ct)
4 bottles White Rain shampoo/conditioner
1/4 lb turkey
1/2 lb cheese
dozen ears of corn

Total: $20.00
Left: $230.00

This will include food for our camping trip too.

#4 ·
I'm keeping my budget at $240 for the month. This is for 2 adults and 1 dog.

#9 ·
Okay, let's just pretend that July didn't happen. Okay? Okay.

Now, for August I'm setting my goal at $200. This is going to include a lot of supplies for the new house and some serious stockpiling. This is for 3 eaters eating real food and 1 baby eating baby food (I know it's cheaper to make it myself, I just don't have the time right now.)

#11 ·
Okay ladies, let me get this right. Your household/food budgets are $200 - $350 for the entire month. This includes everything your family and pets will eat and your cleaning and other house products?

If this is correct I'm way off. I was going to do this challenge this month but I budgeted $600 for the month for a family of three adults! I know our prices are more expensive than yours but I've cut down $200 per month from my bill and I thought I was doing fine. Crikey!:confused: What am I doing wrong?

#12 ·
Bethany,
My grocery budget does include all groceries (food items),pet supplies, paper supplies and such. I'm at $200 a month but I really have to work hard at keeping it there. We drink no alcohol and I bake most of our breads so that helps quite a bit.

:hugz:

#15 ·
forestdale said:
Okay ladies, let me get this right. Your household/food budgets are $200 - $350 for the entire month. This includes everything your family and pets will eat and your cleaning and other house products?

If this is correct I'm way off. I was going to do this challenge this month but I budgeted $600 for the month for a family of three adults! I know our prices are more expensive than yours but I've cut down $200 per month from my bill and I thought I was doing fine. Crikey!:confused: What am I doing wrong?

That's what my budget includes and we spend approximately $240-$280/month.

We do a lot of scratch baking/cooking. I buy VERY few convienence foods, some get free food by using double coupons. We use meat as a condiment, rather than a main dish, I make a lot of my own cleaners, we garden and put up everything we can get a hold of to eat, I shop loss leaders and stock up when I find a good deal. . . . .

It takes practice and perserverence to keep the grocery bills down. You've done great so far, and as it becomes more familiar, you'll probably drop the bills even further (although with rising prices, I'm doing good to maintain here too)

#16 ·
Okay, I sent dh for the first shop of the month and he did alright. I don't feel like listing everything bought, but the original total was $70.32 and after coupons it was $56.38.

Goal for August: $200
Spent to Date: $56.38

#17 ·
I've returned from the battlefront. ;)

Thanks for your information and encouragement ladies. I will perservere, Sunshine and I WILL get better at this. I very rarely buy convenience foods and I bake from scratch. I never buy frozen meals or takeaway, I cook a good meal for my boys every night. I also provide nutritious lunches and snacks as well as breakfasts. We have chickens, I barter eggs for milk and cream but I do buy extra milk as my son hasn't weaned himself off cows milk yet. Grrr.

My supermarket bill this morning was $176.10. That will be my main grocery shopping for the month but I will go back each week to get perishables. I also went to the butcher and got $90.70 worth of meat - I don't eat any meat and that should do the carnivores for a month. I bought things that were on sale like organic tea @ $2.90 for 50 bags, cat food @ $5.70 for a box of 6 large cans, toilet rolls @ $4.78 for a pack of 12, butter @ $1.38 for 500grams. My most expensive items were: instant coffee 500grams (on sale) $14.97 - my son drinks iced coffee like it's going out of style, ham for sandwiches @ $11.02, olive oil in a spray @ $4.70, tinned salmon @ $3.37, cheese @ $7.10. I hope that gives you an idea of my prices.

My outlay so far is $266.80 but I've yet to buy my bread flours and bulk things. I've only taken out $400 this month so that's my goal and by reading this thread for inspiration I hope to make it.

#18 ·
I spent $49.00 yesterday. I got:

8 pack paper towels
12 pack tp
1 bottle juice
2 lbs grapes
2 boxes instant oatmeal
4 boxes cereal (large 20 oz size)
roll of Bounty (for homemade baby wipes)
mayo (got a free can of tuna)
20 lbs sugar
2 gallons milk
5 dozen eggs
12 bagels

I think that's it. Not too bad.

Goal:$250.00
Spent: $69.00

Total left for August: $181.00

#19 ·
Both June and July were over budget for me! I need to crack the whip on myself for August!! lol

I'm going to keep mine at $215.00 for food and $70.00 on nonfood items.

I have not spent a penny yet this month!! lol only 2 days.
I do need to go on Wednesday though. I have my menu made up and my grocery list almost done. So, as long as I don't wander away from my list, I should be ok.

#20 ·
im gonna set my goal at 250.00 again..i went over in july but was stocking up

so far i spent 14.91 at stop & shop for fruit and meat on mark down (the guy who put in my car battery had surgery on his knee and i want to take him something good to eat)

and 18.52 at shop rite ( it was 22.12 befor coupons)

goal 250.00
spent 37.03
----------------
left 212.97

#21 ·
I need to jump back on board in the grocery challenge as we have been way over budget lately.

For the month of August, I will start my budget at $300.00. This is for 2 adults, 2 teen boys:eek: , 1 growing child, 1 cat, and 1 dog. Let's see if I can stay under budget!!

No trips for August yet.

#23 ·
Holy Cow!! You're right!!
I could spend $672!!!! And to think I have my budget at $215!!

What's wrong with that picture?? LOL

:confused:

#25 ·
Calm down ladies, that is the maximum amount allowed. However, most households do not get anywhere near to that.

Here is a link to a site that will explain how they figure out how much you would get in food stamps for your family.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/rules/Memo/00/MonthlyAllotDeductions1.htm

Take a look around the site because there is some really good information here.

The amount your family will receive is based on your income, assets, deductions, etc.

#26 ·
My goal for this month is to keep my grocery spending for 2 adults, 3 children(one in pull ups), and one cat and one dog at 450.00 per month.

Spent so far: 45.00 for groceries

Left: 405.00

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.