March grocery challenge
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Exclamation March grocery challenge

I can't believe March is only 2 days away. I did really well with my Feb. grocery challenge and kept my grocery total $25.00 under my goal.

My goal for this month is $300.00 for a family of 5. That does not include pet food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Exclamation #4 - let's post ways to be frugal when buying canned goods?

Let's post your tips to keeping frugal when you purchase canned goods.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I also stayed $25 under my budgeted amount, this month I dont think I will spend more than $50 as I have stocked up pretty good, we will be eating lots of spaghetti and sausage though!

Dont think the family will mind, with me being sick, I've had friends come over and bring me homemade soups, baked chicken with rice so I haven't spent much time in the kitchen this past week let alone any money as i haven't been out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Forgot to mention, I will be getting help from Angel Food Ministries for March but the food I receive will last me atleast 2 or more weeks! So that's only $25!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll be aiming for $200cdn/mth for 3 adults again this month. This may be harder. I did it for February, but March is a longer month. Also I was gone some of February and dh and dd#2 ate out of my freezer. I haven't got much left in there. We'll have to see. Today is inventory and menu planning. Tonight is grocery shopping.

Jean

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I spent almost $200 last month, between me and the pets. (I buy fresh produce for the parrots and snails, and I make my own dogfood for the "boys," so I buy their fresh food along with mine at the grocery store, so it is easier for me to just add it as one sum.) I am going to shoot for $150 or less for March!

djs
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm going to keep mine at $200 for this month and that will include
    the dogs and cats food.
    This is fun and really has made me stop and think about what I spent shopping!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am aiming for $200.00 for the month of March. I think I can do it. This includes all groceries, health and beauty products, paper products, diapers, etc. Basically, it includes everything I could possibly buy. This is for a family of 5, although one of them isn't actually eating real food yet, but he's going through diapers like there's no tomorrow!!!
    Blog: http://amysreallife.com

Amy
    Wife to
    Mommy to 4
    Public School Teacher

Mortgage - $377,836.63

Always remember others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'll aim for $100 again. That's just food for one adult. I've already spent about 1/2 of it though on Saturday. I'm counting that as March because I grocery shop twice a month always on a Saturday and that will cover the next two weeks or so.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thumbs up March grocery challenge

I had challenged myself to only spend $600 for groceries, BJs, eating out and take out for February. And I did it!! I know I have one more day but I don't need to buy anthing else for a few more days. I have kept track for the past 3 years and $600 is pretty good.

My husband makes a decent salary and we were putting away money every month (more than 10%) so I didn't worry too much about the grocery budget. But now our goal is to buy a house in the Westchester area so I am getting really serious about cutting down in the grocery area.

I realize this is a huge amount for a family of 2 adults and 2 young kids (compared to everyone else) but we can afford it. We've never had credit card debt but we've never saved either until 3 years ago when I realized if we wanted to buy an apartment we needed to cut back drastically and start saving.

Plus, we live in Queens, New York and the grocery prices are so much more expensive! But still I know I can do even better. We are only going out once a month and our take out options are not great anyway but still occasionally we'd like to do it.

A couple of suggestions for cooking cheaper meals. Have any of you been on miserlymoms.com? She was my inspiration to start a frugal life and cutting down on groceries and cooking cheaply but healthy and yummy. And cheapcooking.com? those have great ideas.
    Also try shopping at a Chinese grocery store which I try and do every couple of weeks -fish, meat and vegies are way, way cheaper than other non Asian supermarkets. For example, I have bought a 2 pound sea bass for under $6!!
    I have bought a pound of green Chinese leafy vegetables for under $1. Shrimp costs about $3.50 a pound. These prices vary but never too much over.

I have meal planned for a long time even when I worked -I hate the stress of deciding on what to cook so meal planning takes the pressure off.

We have cut back on eating beef and pretty much eat it when we eat out. And we started a soup and bread night again and also cook one vegetarian meal a week too. And try and use up what is here so if I see what I need to use up then I google the ingredient and find a recipe. We get coupons in the Sunday NYT but they are for processed food which we don't eat at all.

Also, I have mentioned before on another post, that I try and only cook 3-4 times and then eat leftovers for the rest of the week. And if I get bored with leftovers, I freeze it to eat another time and cook something else.

So my grocery challenge for March is to see if I can keep my total food/eat out expenses to under $550. Now that I have made my Feb goal -I want to keep challenging myself. I treat it like a game.

Sorry for such a long post! Thanks for listening.

Sue

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

$168 is my goal. The dog/cat food is 68$ a month with raw food supplments (usually salmon and deer) - so 100$ for the two of us grown ups. I really can't squeeze it out more than that until the summer and I have a garden up. Food is very expensive here.

babs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in. I am going to go for $400 again this month.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since I did not make my goal of $200 for February, I am going to go back up to $250. We are trying to include more fruits and vegetables in our diet, and that is just more expensive. I do only buy the produce that is the best buy each week, but still, when you are aiming for five servings a day, that is a lot of GREEN. LOL.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm in! $600 for the month, Australian dollars, no coupons.

guest7
    Tourist

I totally succeeded in Jan and Feb challenges!! Feb was $186 under budget of $300.
    This challenge is great! I never paid attention to my grocery bill before and that's how last year's bill got to over $10,000!

This month's challenge will remain at $300. It's a longer month and I have stocking up to do.

Good luck to everyone in the challenge. So far I've seen alot of successes!

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast