The little brown dress challenge
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Red face The little brown dress challenge

The little brown dress challenge is one person's fight against spending!

http://www.littlebrowndress.com/brow...ive%20home.htm

Registered User Droppedonmyhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That was very interesting to read and look at. Good for her!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe it worked for her, but if I showed up in the same little brown dress for work every day, I think I would get fired!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for her! I've been thinking about simplifying my wardrobe (not to the same extreme) by wearing white shirts (which I love) and neutral pants, but I might get bored.

Thanks for sharing that neat website.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey Europeans!! In America, everyone wears their clothes once in a row to work. They would never wear the same outfit two days in a row - even the guys. Not even the same tie. Not even a suit. And unless it is a dry clean item, it goes right into the laundry after one wear. I had to pull the new Brit in the office aside and tell him to go buy more clothes

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I just could never do that!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I can say that I applaud her for what she did. But then I am a little bit rebellious, and I look good in brown..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I couldn't do it but I admire her for the point she is making. We do have a lot of pressure to have a large wardrobe and different kinds of clothes for different occasions. It is very expensive and a waste.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think that's awesome. I couldn't do that though. I do however have a favorite pair of black slacks that I wear at least 2-3 times a week to work. I get casual Fridays so I wear jeans then. I wear a different shirt each day though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good for her but I just couldn't do that even staying home on the farm with no one around. But I do only have 3 strap T's and 2 pairs of shorts that are my home wardrobe from first to last frost, but several pairs of jeans and "town" shirts.

kj

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow! In concept that is really cool. In reality, I would be quite uncomfortable with it though. I work in a profession where my appearance is very important. I don't spend a million dollars on my wardrobe but it has to look really good. I also would miss the boost of confidence I feel in putting on something that makes me feel attractive.

On the opposite hand, you have to admire anyone who can really change their life based on what they feel is right. Good for her for doing this!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I work with preschoolers and since we use paint and glue alot I downsized my work wardrobe to blue or gray pants with different colored preschool shirts. My boss bought my shirts for me in exchange for doing some extra work. Which was fine with me! In the winter I wear pants/capris and in the summer shorts. If I worked in an office I wouldn't change too much except for not wearing shorts and I have a large selection of colored pullovers. Suits and dresses are just not my thing.

I get all my stuff from JMS online and love the quality and price from the catalog. It's totally different from the line that Walmart carries.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wanted to say I love the concept!

Registered User Laurie in Bradenton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think this idea is more popular than most people realize. Not to this narrow idea of just one item. Don't like the word extreme. I have friends who are different phases of both Amish and Mennonite and most of the ladies only own between 4 and 5 dresses. Thats it. Since most items are home made and some without the aid of electric clothes take on a whole different meaning.
    I will admit I have a few more items but over the years my wardrobe has shrunk. The amount of money I used to spend on new clothes now goes to a much better place, like paying off bills and paying down our mortagage.

Laurie in Bradenton

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What a brilliant idea!

Hey IronMaiden, I dont' actually know anyone who washes their clothes every single time they wear them (usually good for 2-3 wearings as long as nothing gets spilled or muddy)...as long as 'I'm' clean, they don't need daily washings....the clothes aren't dirty, they don't smell except of the soap that was used... I know lots of americans too. They do the same thing... I dont'think that it's necessarily a European thing.

I've stopped buying clothing just because I have more than enough. Most of my stuff is too big for me now and I have to take it all in, but it's in fine shape. I think I'll just keep not buying any more. It's not as dramatic as the little brown dress, but I'll do my part.

The whole 'need a walk in closet full" is ridiculous anyway. Show most people in the world those kind of clothes and I'm sure they would laugh or be appalled at our greed and vanity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast