March Grocery Challenge - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I went over. I found a fantastic sale on fish and really loaded up on wild-caught salmon ($2.99 each slab) and tilapia (BOGOF). Also bought a large Boston Butt ($1.49 lb), which is probably the first pork I've bought in almost a year. Bought all our usual groceries as well .

The bad part is I still need cat litter and TP, so I will be even further over. But, DH is so thrilled with all the fish in the freezer that he said it was worth it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We went over this month, I thought we might. I forgot to take into account that there were 5 weeks of grocery shopping this month instead of 4 weeks. I still have to buy a few things at Aldi and then buy a few more things at the grocery store next Saturday to get us through the first week in April. I haven't made it yet within my $200 grocery budget so I averaged the three months and I am going to raise our grocery budget to $225/month to help better stay within budget .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am very happy to still be more than $50 under my goal, with only one week left to go! I still have one coupon left for $5.00 off my next shopping order at Dillon's. This will almost pay for three half gallons of 1% milk, on sale 3/$4, and three gallons of drinking water ( refills are 39 cents a gallon).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I went over by 70 bucks! I made the mistake and shopped at the wrong store. I knew better. I also did not plan like I usually do. I think that made a huge difference. I do have a lot of stock though that I will put to good use. Done for March. Should not need anything more. I hope!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My husband and I are thrilled with how we are doing this month on the grocery challenge. I find that if I don't concentrate on loss leaders and double coupons I have more good food in my house to make meals. The money freed up I can use on fresh vegetables and fruits. My kids love vegetables. ie I took a butternut squash and cut it in half and baked it in the oven with a little bit of butter and brown sugar. The kids can't wait till I make it again. My son loves parsley ground in the mini food chopper with a little bit of olive oil to put on his chicken. Soooooo when I spend our food budget on 5 tubes of Colgate toothpaste and 15 bottles of VO5 shampoo I do not have enough money to make meals that these vegetable loving kids really need. (This is just what has worked for my family. Please do not throw your 3 year supply of toilet paper at me.)

Well, we will have to see what happens next month

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Original goal: $500
    Actual: $640

This is still better than last month, where I lost count at about $700. At least I stuck it out this time. I do have a 2-week menu plan done and will need very little for the next couple weeks, so April should start off much better.

I think I shopped too many sales and stocked up on too many things all at once. I got excited about rebate deals, too. ($25 of my total should be coming back to me via rebates, actually.) I need to just try to buy as few things as possible next month so it evens out a bit.

I'm going to try for $500 again in April. I think I can....I think I can...

Hey, at least I didn't drop out this time. ;-)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I went to Aldi today and I spent $12.65 on some supplies for this week and next week: baking mix, choc. cake mix, white block cheese, 2 frozen orange juice, 2 packages onion bagels, 1 can beets, 2 can whole corn, 3 can cut green beans, 2 cans stewed tomatoes, and (6) cans 9 lives moist cat food. I always feel like I get the best deals there . Then I went next door to the dollar store and spent $1 on a 3 pack of soap (pure & natural) I like it as well as Dove and I really like the price at ~33 cents a bar .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This month i set my goal 50 higher than last and i am coming in alright at 205 i do need to go buy TP and paper towels but im going to buy Marcel (sp?) cause they are cheap and environmental friendly. so i will still be under for the first time. i think i will keep to 250 and shopping every week like i did this month and by summer i should have a rhythm and be able to get it to 200 (fingers crossed)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well I went over a little for the month of March. I did go grocery shopping today but I am putting it on Aprils for that is what I am buying for. I wish I had some of the choices of grocery stores that some of you do. I do have to take my mom to Asheville for pre-Op a week from monday so I hope to hit aldi's and Go groceries that day.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

~OK.There's the last $13.50 and March is done! I'm over for the month($252 total) but still under on the year so far.~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I blew my grocery budget by about 25.00. I know the reason is because of all the prepared food that I picked up at the grocery store. when my dad was in the hospital.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I blew it. Tried for $200.00, came in about $260.00.Shopping on a weekly basis next month and if the total doesn't drop, I'm raising my limit.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Woohoo! Made it pretty well under! It's probably closer to even because my bf went out and bought some items without telling me. Usually I do all the grocery shopping. But I did include a rough total for what he bought. He doesn't take this challenge that seriously, but he will when he sees how much we can save!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678