moving?

Thread: moving?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default moving?

My DS#2 and I have been talking about becoming a multi-generation household. He is married with 1 child. He is self-employed and his DW also works. I told him I am thinking of selling my place (is a mobile home owned by me but sits on a rented lot) and move to a rental condo at the beach. For me it would be a life's dream to be on the water when I retire in a few years. He and his DW talk and they too want to live at the beach. We've found a beach house that would be large enough for us, giving me a bit of privacy. We're still in the talking stage but this could become real. The house will be ready to rent Jan 1. I have ppl wanting to buy whenever I'm ready to sell.

Has anyone done this or would you consider it? If things didn't work out for us I could always get my own place. This would help my DS out but they would need to sell their house in town. Scary...

Sorry for rambling.... so much to think about.
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is such an individual choice and has so many considerations...depending on your family dynamic. We had family members staying with us a lot when I was a kid...no biggie, but it was always short term. My dh's family had his grandmother with them for about 10 years...but his family is very easy going and is not intrusive.
    Me??? Not sure I could live comfortably with either of my kids and their families....one, I know for sure I could not!
    Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!Share on FacebookSpurl this Post!Reddit!Wong this Post!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I would take the rental for January and mull the home sharing a bit longer.

If you have your own space including a kitchen that's a good thing.

I just finished a year of living with my MIL. She helped pay some bills and made dinner most nights but I felt very judged by MIL and like I was competing for my DH's affection and attention (I was also pregnant and quite ill for most of it). We made it through, but it wasn't pretty.

Then again, my MIL seems to have some mental health issues.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know I couldn't do it with my Mom, but if you have a good relationship with him then yes I could see you doing it. It sounds like a neat venture to at least give a try.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

My FIL lives with us. It is about two years now. He has his own bedroom suite with private bathroom. He eats dinner with us and I make him breakfast in the morning. He helps himself during the day if he wants lunch or a snack. I love him here and wouldn't have it any other way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by onencgirl View Post
    If things didn't work out for us I could always get my own place. This would help my DS out but they would need to sell their house in town. Scary...
    so much to think about.

Is there any way that they could rent out their house for enough $ to cover expenses (mortgage, util., etc) for a few months...............just in case............

Good luck if you decide to do it........I admire you for trying.

Just the thought of it makes my heart stop!!