Food problems. - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Food problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    When I had housemates everyone had their own cupboard in the kitchen. My cupboard, my food, off limits to others. People were good about minding the rules. I had the fridge to myself mostly because nobody else bought vegetables.

I think separating and labeling things is your best bet.
    We are trying that now and its really just not working, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    If you have a box spring you can raise it on cinder blocks (I would recommend 5 - one for each corner and one for the middle of the opposite side that you need access for) and protect the floor with a few towels.

IF all you have is a mattress then invest in 3/4 inch plywood that is cut to the dimensions of your mattress and use it as a base -- most stores can cut it for you at the store. If it won't fit in your car than have them cut it in half. You'll need another cinder block but you'll have full support for sleeping - not bouncing (kwim? ) hehehe. The cost of the wood and blocks might run you $20 bucks max but the cost you'll save overall is much higher.

---
    Keep in mind that storing things in your room may also set up some tensions so it is not a great solution to the long term problem.

A better solution: might include having a "staple" grocery list that everyone contributes to and that everyone eats. Get your menu planning hat on and sit down with the other cooks in the house! Everyone splits that grocery bill. Then everyone else can pay for their own extras that only they will enjoy... coffee, brand name detergent, etc. It takes a bit more micromanaging but if everyone agrees to it things will get better.
    Yeah I can see everyone getting poed at this to. We live on the third floor so up and down all the time to get food to cook downstairs they will know. There really are no cooks in the house. Everyone works weird shifts so we all cook for ourselves. DH just told me he went downstiars and the ketchup was out and she started saying well im not getting anymore and this and that its your turn, not even deciding to look in the cabnit where there is more. Raising the bed would work, but its up against the wall, and DHs "bed" is directly next to it, so it would be a lot of moving all the time. I really think the closest idea would be ideal!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_V View Post
    If the bed is on the floor... think UP

Even one shelf can give you enough room for your food... providing you aren't putting huge bags of rice up there

There are a lot of us who are good at small space storage ideas... can you draw a picture for us showing us the measurements, door placements and what you have in there now? Icovia Space Planner is pretty good
    I can take pictures!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When I lived with roommates we did the one cupboard each thing. Then a shelf in the fridge. We had one roommate that would just split the cost but it didn't work because we were buying things he didn't want so we just bought ourselves. Then some nights we'd have "community" dinners everyone would contribute something and help out it worked and at one point we had 7 of us living there!! We always had a cleaning chart that we rotated so everyone had their own chore for the week and then would rotate Sunday so your not always the one cleaning the bathroom, mopping floors, vaccuuming etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think you should move. Soon!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    When I had housemates everyone had their own cupboard in the kitchen. My cupboard, my food, off limits to others. People were good about minding the rules. I had the fridge to myself mostly because nobody else bought vegetables.

I see this as the only way it will work, too. Everyone just needs to be RESPECTFUL of each other's property. Make ground rules that it is only OK to borrow from someone else if you ASK first, things like that. You will all have different preferences on what you buy/like, so shopping together or splitting the bill, like you said, will not work. I also like Ashley01's idea of having community dinners. You can sometimes cook together and each contribute towards it so there is more unity in the house. But, otherwise to each his own.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I like the raised bed idea. I remember in hs going over to a friends house. Her dad had built her bed. Her room was small and the bed was raised high enough to need a ladder. Underneath was shelving/chest of drawers acting kind of as braces for the bed. It was very unusual but cute and functional at the same time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I only see one solution.

Gather everyone together and have a family discussion about it. Find a way that will work for everyone. Instead of everyone grumbling and griping work on finding a solution to the problem together.

Why waste a bunch of time running all around the problem when it could just be dealt with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

How about everyone having their own space in the kitchen for food (That is how we did it when I had roommates), but then each having a night that they cook dinner for everyone. That way you have that sense of community, but still have your own breakfast and lunch foods and your own snacks. Maybe each of you take 2 nights a week to cook for everyone and you provide everything?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife

We are trying that now and its really just not working, at all.
    What specifically isn't working about that? Is someone taking food that isn't theirs? Is there too much community foods like condiments that needs to be shared or you don't want double amounts of?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of the things I have found to be helpful is to remember that it is still cheaper to eat together than seperately. It is just my niece and I and sometimes I think she spends too much money. But I try to remember that I am still spending less money on food now than I did before.
    also cooks and I was working a weird 45 hour schedule.
    The catsup? If it was me, I would have put it staight back into the fridge. That stuff has so much sugar in it, it's practically jam. And preservatives. Regardless, it is two bucks. I would suck it up and buy a new one if someone had fussed.
    Pepto? I would have rolled my eyes at that one. For that I might have bought my own. (after all I wouldn't want to walk all the way downstairs if I am not feeling well, right?)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley01 View Post
    When I lived with roommates we did the one cupboard each thing. Then a shelf in the fridge. We had one roommate that would just split the cost but it didn't work because we were buying things he didn't want so we just bought ourselves. Then some nights we'd have "community" dinners everyone would contribute something and help out it worked and at one point we had 7 of us living there!! We always had a cleaning chart that we rotated so everyone had their own chore for the week and then would rotate Sunday so your not always the one cleaning the bathroom, mopping floors, vaccuuming etc.
    Thanks so much for your advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Greebo View Post
    I think you should move. Soon!
    As much as I want to, staying here is going to help DH and I's future and thats what matters right now

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfriend View Post
    I see this as the only way it will work, too. Everyone just needs to be RESPECTFUL of each other's property. Make ground rules that it is only OK to borrow from someone else if you ASK first, things like that. You will all have different preferences on what you buy/like, so shopping together or splitting the bill, like you said, will not work. I also like Ashley01's idea of having community dinners. You can sometimes cook together and each contribute towards it so there is more unity in the house. But, otherwise to each his own.
    I do like this idea, but they are no respectful. DHs dad is never home but when he comes home he snacks and snacks and I will not fuss over that because he is letting us stay here...But I will find a way to figure this all out!

Quote Originally Posted by fairydana View Post
    I only see one solution.

Gather everyone together and have a family discussion about it. Find a way that will work for everyone. Instead of everyone grumbling and griping work on finding a solution to the problem together.

Why waste a bunch of time running all around the problem when it could just be dealt with.
    I have tried this a few times and it has went way south, but your right, I HAVE to try this first, again. I have to talk about it with them again and they HAVE to help me figure out a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by dancemommy View Post
    How about everyone having their own space in the kitchen for food (That is how we did it when I had roommates), but then each having a night that they cook dinner for everyone. That way you have that sense of community, but still have your own breakfast and lunch foods and your own snacks. Maybe each of you take 2 nights a week to cook for everyone and you provide everything?
    I love this!!!! I will bring it up in our family talk

Quote Originally Posted by krbshappy71 View Post
    What specifically isn't working about that? Is someone taking food that isn't theirs? Is there too much community foods like condiments that needs to be shared or you don't want double amounts of?
    Yep, they take what they want and then blame it on us when its gone like we ate it all, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kita View Post
    One of the things I have found to be helpful is to remember that it is still cheaper to eat together than seperately. It is just my niece and I and sometimes I think she spends too much money. But I try to remember that I am still spending less money on food now than I did before.
    also cooks and I was working a weird 45 hour schedule.
    The catsup? If it was me, I would have put it staight back into the fridge. That stuff has so much sugar in it, it's practically jam. And preservatives. Regardless, it is two bucks. I would suck it up and buy a new one if someone had fussed.
    Pepto? I would have rolled my eyes at that one. For that I might have bought my own. (after all I wouldn't want to walk all the way downstairs if I am not feeling well, right?)
    Thanks so much!! Yeah the pepto was rediculas. She is just trying to cause drama. I will buy a bottle for them, and a bottle for us and keep it up stairs but I will not buy a new bottle for them when its gone this time because I used mine

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by AnW819 View Post
    As much as I want to, staying here is going to help DH and I's future and thats what matters right now
    Short term maybe - but IIRC from your budget you will be able to get caught up very quickly - and long term damage to your family relationships will haunt you a long time.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Short term maybe - but IIRC from your budget you will be able to get caught up very quickly - and long term damage to your family relationships will haunt you a long time.
    We have to get caught up $8000 and then $1000 EF and then save for an apartment, so in about a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have to get caught up $8000 and then $1000 EF and then save for an apartment, so in about a year.
    Woah woah woah..

Where did $8k come from?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

What he said....

I have been working on one back and forth the past few weeks and here is what I came up with.

$1800 - Wayne Pay Monthly (this varies, but this is the least)
    $1100- My Pay Monthly
    -------
    $2900 - Month
    minus
    $400 - car
    $150 - car insurance
    $300 - rent
    $240 - gas (dh's commute to work is still the same, 50 minute drive back and forth)
    $300 - groceries (have not got this 100% figured out yet because living with 3 other people is interesting, so once I get this all figured out I'm sure I can wiggle this down)
    $105 - cells
    $40 - clothes (If it does not get used, I plan to stick it in my EF)
    $100 - car repairs (going to keep filling up my car repair envie every month until I need it)
    $40 - Misc- Toll money, birthdays, oil changes, etc. (what ever does not get used will be saved for Christmas fund. If I happen to not have anything ever left over (which im sure will not happen) then I don't buy gifts.)
    ------
    $1225 left a month which is $306 a week.

So, now obviously I can get my baby EF in one month with $225 left to spare.

It should only take me 6 months to pay off all of DH and I's debt til we are debt free, minus the car, which sounds like an awesome plan! We also have tax time coming up and normally we get about $2000. I should have a baby EF by then, but if not, thats where its going. The other $1000 is going to go to debt. So it could even maybe take less than 6 months.

!
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Woah woah woah..

Where did $8k come from?
    Was wondering the same.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast