Food problems.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food problems.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Food problems.

So DH and I moving in with DHs dad, sister, and boyfriend has been working out, except for 1 thing: FOOD!

Before DH and I moved in they were nutourious for eating out, ordering, etc. Now that we moved in they snack, snack, snack, and eat, eat, eat and do not even notice it, and then blame it on us.

We decided when we moved in DHs sister and I would do shopping together, and split the bill but we soon realised that would not work because they buy things DH and I would NEVER buy. Like charmin TP which does in 2 days and is expensive!! And tide laundry detergant! NO WAY!! So then DH and I did shopping one week, and she went the next, thought maybe this would work. Wrong. She spent $50 and $10 of it was on coffee we don't drink.

Then we decided okay we will buy our own stuff. My ginger ale was gone after 1 glass, etc. That did not work out.

Then there was tention in the house for a few days because they have been playing the well we bought this you bought that crap. So she suggested we write our names on food we don't want them to eat. This caused even more of a problem!!

So now today we go down stairs and DH looks in the med cabnit to see the pepto bottle; it states "if you are the LAST person to use this, buy a new one!". Um...okay? Obviously?

I am not sure how to go about all this. I mean do I buy my own milk, eggs, etc.? Meds? There is not enough room to have all of our own stuff, not to mention, the fact that they will eat it.

This was a problem at my dads as well, but this is much more because its three other people. My room does not even fit a queen size bed so I cannot store anything up here. Cabnit space is minimal.

The anger and tention coming from everyone is so stupid. I mean who argues about this crap??

Any ideas??

Thanks all.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can you fit a dorm fridge in your room? Long ago when I had room mates I had a dinky room but I had roll out under the bed for storage and a dorm fridge.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

When DH and two of his buddies worked out of state and lived in a camper, they handled their food situation this way. Every pay day, they would put a set amount of money in the grocery kitty. In their case it was $100 each. This was only used to buy real food and receipts had to be provided. If one of them wanted any junk food such as sodas, chips, candy, cakes, etc, they had to buy their own with their own separate money. A list of what was considered junk was written down and posted in plain site and agreed on by all three. This worked out really well for them. Also they agreed that my DH would cook, one of the guys cleaned up after the meal and the other one did all their laundry. Maybe you can glean some useful ideas from this

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

nope, we really cant fit anything. DH has to keep his small dresser with clothes out in the hall way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for your ideas! The only problem with putting money aside every week is she 'cant afford' to buy groceries every week'. She said they would spend maybe $100 a month on grocerys which sounds like bs to me =/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think there is much you can do .
    I still say I'd move into a place all my own even if that is one room. A boarding house for a month or so is much better than living with all this stress.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thats not really an option right now =/ Thanks though!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

So there isn't any space under the current bed that you can store things in shoe box size containers?

What about over the door "shoe" storage units like Clear Over the Door 24-Pocket Shoe Bag You can make one easily with an old sheet some thread and a needle. Dollar stores might have them too.

Are you allowed to put hooks on the walls? You can make tee shirts into bags to store things in and hang them on the wall for storage or put them on a hanger in store things in your closet.

You could also make storage space Slender TV Remote Clutter Organizer | Storage pocket caddy for your Bed that can easily slip along one side of the bed. Lots of little things can be kept in these pockets and you can make more than one row of pockets.

What you do need to do is sit down with these good people and brainstorm solutions. Living with "room mates" is never easy.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Would it be an option to trade responsibilities?

You take over paying the light bill, phone bill and cable bill and she buys all the groceries or something to that effect?

Make sure everyone understands that groceries means groceries and anything else that is used by everyone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post
    So there isn't any space under the current bed that you can store things in shoe box size containers?

What about over the door "shoe" storage units like Clear Over the Door 24-Pocket Shoe Bag You can make one easily with an old sheet some thread and a needle. Dollar stores might have them too.

Are you allowed to put hooks on the walls? You can make tee shirts into bags to store things in and hang them on the wall for storage or put them on a hanger in store things in your closet.

You could also make storage space Slender TV Remote Clutter Organizer | Storage pocket caddy for your Bed that can easily slip along one side of the bed. Lots of little things can be kept in these pockets and you can make more than one row of pockets.

What you do need to do is sit down with these good people and brainstorm solutions. Living with "room mates" is never easy.

Awesome ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't think there is much you can either except to suck it up and save and move into a room somewhere. This stuff is going to happen when multiple people live in a home where clear boundaries and rules aren't set in place from day one. My 19 year old daughter is going through this with her roommate right now too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I am not going to just give up. There has to be some type of solution. I am not living with college roommates. I am living with a family equalling 5 people, and most familys live with other people so there must be a solution. I am not going to give up and move out. We moved in here to save money and get out of debt so that when we get an apartment we can stay there and I am not going to give up this time, expecially over something like food.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceashels View Post

Our bed is on the floor but awesome ideas cea!!! I am going to make on of those and put it on the door in the closet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Josephhgoins View Post
    Would it be an option to trade responsibilities?

You take over paying the light bill, phone bill and cable bill and she buys all the groceries or something to that effect?

Make sure everyone understands that groceries means groceries and anything else that is used by everyone.
    We pay a total rent amount to DHs dad. Not sister. She does not pay anything-so there really is nothing to trade =/

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If the bed is on the floor... think UP

Even one shelf can give you enough room for your food... providing you aren't putting huge bags of rice up there

There are a lot of us who are good at small space storage ideas... can you draw a picture for us showing us the measurements, door placements and what you have in there now? Icovia Space Planner is pretty good

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you have a box spring you can raise it on cinder blocks (I would recommend 5 - one for each corner and one for the middle of the opposite side that you need access for) and protect the floor with a few towels.

IF all you have is a mattress then invest in 3/4 inch plywood that is cut to the dimensions of your mattress and use it as a base -- most stores can cut it for you at the store. If it won't fit in your car than have them cut it in half. You'll need another cinder block but you'll have full support for sleeping - not bouncing (kwim? ) hehehe. The cost of the wood and blocks might run you $20 bucks max but the cost you'll save overall is much higher.

---
    Keep in mind that storing things in your room may also set up some tensions so it is not a great solution to the long term problem.

A better solution: might include having a "staple" grocery list that everyone contributes to and that everyone eats. Get your menu planning hat on and sit down with the other cooks in the house! Everyone splits that grocery bill. Then everyone else can pay for their own extras that only they will enjoy... coffee, brand name detergent, etc. It takes a bit more micromanaging but if everyone agrees to it things will get better.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When I had housemates everyone had their own cupboard in the kitchen. My cupboard, my food, off limits to others. People were good about minding the rules. I had the fridge to myself mostly because nobody else bought vegetables.

I think separating and labeling things is your best bet.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast