Why do some people uses the term "My Wife" ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

DH has 4 kids from a previous marriage, I don't think one of them has ever referred to me as Stepmom. They always introduce me as "This is my dad's wife." Not sure why.

One thing that bugs me is grown people who still use "mommy" and "daddy" when speaking to a third, unrelated party. As in, you are talking to a coworker and say, "Daddy always likes it when I get him Scotch for a birthday present." Weird. I knew a 70-something lady who did that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    DH has 4 kids from a previous marriage, I don't think one of them has ever referred to me as Stepmom. They always introduce me as "This is my dad's wife." Not sure why.

One thing that bugs me is grown people who still use "mommy" and "daddy" when speaking to a third, unrelated party. As in, you are talking to a coworker and say, "Daddy always likes it when I get him Scotch for a birthday present." Weird. I knew a 70-something lady who did that.
    Many people in the South refer to their fathers as "daddy." I have a friends from Tennessee and Kentucky in their 60s who call their father Daddy.

Regional, cultural, and family traditions seem strange to those not exposed to them at an early age.
    Kim
    The Lord will provide

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by josantoro View Post
    My mother remarried when I was seventeen. My dad had custody after my parents' divorce. I'm 44 and still do not refer to her husband as anything other than my mom's husband. He did not raise me, so I don't see any point in referring to him as my stepdad.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yes, as I mentioned in my previous post, here in the South, people call their parents mommy and daddy. Doesn't matter how old they are.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Unless it's someone who's actually met him, I always refer to my husband as well... "my husband." I don't presume that colleagues, etc. remember my husband's name. I refer to my stepson, cat, etc. in the same way. It makes for simple communication.

It's never occurred to me that this is "wrong"... lol!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, I'm glad to see it's not just an ignorant English (UK) thing, to refer to your partner/wife/husband as "THE . . . "

In England, I mostly come across "THE wife" in working-class environments. I've always thought it depersonalised a woman to be referred to as "THE" - an object, not a living being.

I don't think I've ever heard "THE husband" (meaning MY husband) from women.

I was most uncomfortable when a man who referred to his wife and mother of their child as "THE wife" also referred to their child as "THE babb" (meaning "baby").

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Maybe while he's talking to a beautiful woman, he needs to remind [email protected] home I have a wife.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I call my wife (oh no!!!!) several things. She also calls me several things (as HER HUSBAND). I don't own her, she doesn't own me, we are both well aware of that. MY SON is, well, the kid that came from me.

What an odd thing to get hung up on.

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Deleted post........

TDN
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I was going to start a new thread and this caught my eye since I was the last to post......I then saw I deleted my post?? So that was 2 years ago and have no idea what was in my mind then?? Hubby and I pretty much never, ever call each other by name....to each other or to others. If I hear him say my name I am like what is wrong? I can not answer for him but for myself it is more of a term of endearment to call him my husband. It seems very impersonal to me to call him by name like I do everyone else. When it is just us together he often calls me "wife" or "woman".....no it does not offend me. I love it as he says it with love. I grew up with my favorite, closest aunt and uncle and he always called her "woman" even in front of us and I saw their love for each other so to me it is a wonderful thing.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I reread this thread and its funny. We now are saying HEY in front of the person name. And We say HEY,oomen (like oo in wood not moo). Hey oomen gets me a brewski. Get it yerself oldman. What gets me is dude. My Dd will say hey dude talking to me! So I say hey,girlee girl I'm not no dude! Why do some people take thing so far outta whack. MY is inclusion in a protective got your back way not a yer mine woman kinda way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a friend who refers to his wife as "the wife". When I started calling him out on this, he continued doing it and putting it in air quotes. Kind of a running joke between us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12