2014 Crochet Corner - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Is it okay if I join? I don't crochet a lot, but I'm getting a set of crochet hooks from Denise Interchangeables and will be doing several projects with those in the next few months. Right now, I'm working on a wrist thread holder I found on Rav. This is not my pic, but this is the pattern. The idea is you put your yarn ball or crochet thread in the holder and then hang it from your wrist.

I have one side done already. I hope to finish the whole thing by the end of the week but we'll see. I'm not very good at thread crochet so one goal for this project is to help me improve my thread skills, and I think it's working. I'm getting much better at controlling my tension. This is my pic.

Everyone has such pretty projects! I especially loved the owl baby afghan.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just made a wide neck warmer/head band.

It was wide loop with a twist. Sometimes they are called magic scarfs. This is because once you get going the yarn wraps around both sides without having to do row increases.

It is a good no pattern project. Make it as long as you want. Some styles are long loops. Make it as wide as you want.

It is good for using a ball of yarn because you can keep going till you run out of the ball.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Pretty SD!

Do you have a link to the pattern Kathy? Sounds interesting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wonderful pictures, folks.

Realized that I didn't have enough of the red I wanted for the afgan I'm making for a friend. I did have some red but not the same color. And, lucky for me, the color I wanted was on sale so I was able to pick up what I think will be enough. Still, I do need to get some more work done on the other afgan I'm making for another friend. Although I will probably focus on my wool blanket in the next few days when the temps drop again into the single digits in the evening.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Crochet a Cowl and Learn How to Crochet an Infinity Scarf | AllFreeCrochet.com

This is a link that has some patterns for them.

I do not normally follow a pattern. For me it is a bit link crocheting a regular scarf. You can follow a pattern to make a scarf or you can just do plain crochet stiches till you get a long rectangle the size you want. I usually do all double crochet stich, but single and triple would work as well.
    The infinity scarves just have just one little extra step for making them.

Method 1: Make a regular scarf. You can do a fancy pattern or plain stiches. Connect the short end together with a slip stich when you are done. When you connect them, flip one side over so you are connecting the bottom row of one end to the top row of the other end.

Method 2: Make one row the length (long part) of the scarf. Connect the two ends, flipping one side before joining like in example one. Keep crocheting around till the scarf is the width you want it. Because of the twist, you go around the loop on both sides before getting back to the start of the row. So you are really making two rows each time around with the first row being in the center of the rows.

How long should it be?

Short ones will go just around your neck or head. These should be just big enough to loop over your head.

Long ones should make a big loop that hangs down your torso. About 36 inches depending on your size. They can be worn in a big long loop or doubled up around your neck to be extra warm and bulky. You can also do one loop around your head and one around your neck.

How wide should it be?

If you are making one for warmth it should be pretty wide. At least 4 or 5 inches, but you could do up to 12. If you are making it for decoration it can be skinny or wide. A short thin one makes a nice headband.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thanks Kathy! I might give it a try this weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My current big project is a basketweave afghan to go with our new couch - it's up to 2 feet long at this point.

I took some breaks for a couple of short projects, felt like I needed to finish something.

I made this hat for DH yesterday:

And did this set for my step-daughter's doll a few days ago:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Decided to try my hand at doll clothes beyond a hat and scarf this weekend to make a Valentine's gift for my step daughter. Made a hat, scarf, sweater, pants, and a set of slippers:

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

What an adorable outfit janal! Great job, I am sure she will love it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Getting close to finishing one afgan for a friend. The other afgan for another friend is about halfway done. I've been focusing on those so I can give them to my friends when I see them. The weather's been annoying but not so cold as it had been in January so my wool blanket's been on hold. I do have a small laprug I'm doing in wool since I only had enough of that wool color for a small one anyway. That's what I have for my car project.

I did pick up some more wool on sale for about half price. I don't know who is going to get that just yet. I don't intend to start that one any time soon anyway so I have time to figure it out. I already have a couple of wool (and one alpaca) blanket for myself and one in progress for my car that I don't need to make another one for myself. I just felt the urge to pick up the wool since it was on sale. Besides, my wool blankets have been well used and so warm that someone will appreciate it if I do give it away.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm a self taught crochet-er. I only know how to sc, dc, & a shell. I make scarves & afghans. I'm working on a afghan of dc's. The yarn is from my Mother's stash--which I didn't know she even had or why. The colors are so pretty together--browns, gold, deep reds & oranges. This one I'm keeping for myself .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm hoping one of you expert crocheters can answer a question for me... I crochet pretty well when I follow directions, but I usually use a worsted weight yarn. I bought a really heavy yarn that feels like fur to make hats for a few nieces next Christmas, and now I'm wondering if I need to do anything different to be sure that I make them the right size. I have never used thick yarn for anything before and don't know if there are techniques I need to learn, or just do what I always do and use a bigger hook. Maybe a specific pattern I need? I just have no idea....this is not potholders and tote bags.

Thanks!
    Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Jen, just do what you always do but you will most likely need a smaller hook not a bigger one. Good luck!

Been working on an infinity scarf....with the way how winter is going this year, I will still be able to wear it for a while!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for the tip, Debbie-Cat. I would never have thought to use a smaller hook, but it makes sense. I found a pretty simple pattern to try, so I'll be starting one soon, and I don't want to mess up with this gorgeous yarn.

Jen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I took a break from my big scarf. I made one dishcloth and finished another one I had started earlier. I did something different for this dishcloth. I usually do a granny square as my default dishcloth pattern. This time I just went around in a circle, making up a pattern for each row guessing how many stiches it would take to go around the circle. It turned out pretty good.

I am near the end of my cotton yarn I use for dishcloths. I no longer have enough to make a whole dishcloth out of one colorway. Since the yarn I bought is all varigated, it looks like better to just make the whole thing with one yarn ball. The next one I do will combine the shades of blue yarn with the yellow/white/blue yarn. Those go together reasonably well. If I did more after that it would be a scrappy little thing that combines three of more colorways that do not really go together.

I am debating wheter to pick up more cotten yarn for dishcloths even though I have lots of other yarn.

I am almost finished with my big scarf. I should finish sometime this week. The weather is supposed to turn colder Wednesday so I hope to finish by then. Right now it is a little too mild to wear an extra warm scarf.
    KathyB

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast