2014 Crochet Corner - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sometime this week, I want to look at by box of yarn and see what is in there. I have a whole box of it, so hopefully something in there must tweak my interest. I need to come up with the next project as my big scarf is almost done. If I can’t find anything that interests me, maybe I need to toss some stuff out.

I am getting toward the end of my dishcloth yarn and I feel like I really want to do some more dishcloths. I want something I will still feel like doing when the weather turns warm.

Crochet seems to be tweaked toward cold weather: hats, scarfs, blankets, shawls, warm things to wear. Even thinner yarn still works up to something much thicker than the thin clothing I normally wear in the summer.

I live in Maryland and our winter weather season is not as long as it is some places.

I need to think about what I might make during the warm months. Stuffed animals and dolls have crossed my mind. But I kind of want something simple enough that I can carry on a conversation with someone while I crochet.

I rarely just crochet. I am a fidgety person and it is sometimes difficult to sit still and carry on a conversation. It helps a lot to have something to crochet while I talk to people.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have been exploring the idea of freeform crochet.

Freeform crochet uses random stiches. There is also a variation where you make individual motifs and crochet them together. It is made to use bits and pieces from various different yarns. The yarns can be different weights and textures.

Free Form Designs

It produces a unique look that is probably not for everyone. Most of it is pretty wild looking. But the pink and white vest shows how it can also look more elegant.

I really like the look. Even though the end result may look complicated, there is no complicated pattern to follow. Since I usually crochet while I am talking to people, I want something where I do not have to keep looking in a pattern book.

It also seems like something good for using up miscellaneous bits of yarn. That makes it a good for frugal crochet. Also because there are no patterns it is less books to buy.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

KathyB - I too can not just sit and visit with someone. I have to always be doing something so I use that time to either knit or crochet as well. Those who know me don't mind because they know I HAVE to be doing something with my hands and those who don't, I always respectfully tell them I like to keep my hands busy and no one has ever seemed to mind.

The freeform is interesting...difficult but interesting.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I finished up two scrappy dishcloths this weekend.

For these the colors go together reasonably well, though putting two or more multicolored yarns together can look a bit busy. Next is one or two where the color combinations are a bit more of a stretch. I will try to get some pictures posted.

On the other hand, the box of dishcloth yarn I have ordered may be ariving today or tomorrow so I might do something with that instead.

I am thinking of alternating. For every project I make with new yarn, I will do one or two with my old yarn.

With the new yarn, I got a mix of multicolor yarn and solids that (hopefully) match them. Then the leftover bits dishcloths will look a bit less random.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I was gifted a whole bolt of green netting. earlier I took about a yard of it off and was meaning to cut it up to crochet some dish scrubbies. So this week I have been working on those. I have crocheted 4 so far. ( already gave away 2 of them with a 3rd to be gifted) working on a 5th one, and will have enough left over to get a couple more out of this one yard of netting.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished off one afgan to be gifted and am about 90% done with the second one to be gifted. After that, I'm back to things I'm making for myself. Fortunately, those are already started. Then I need to go through my stash and see what I have. I have a lot of leftover verigated yarn for a couple of afgans I made for myself. They're really nice colors so I can probably have a couple of afgans for donations. Then I'll have to get through the acrylic stuff that I've been hanging onto for years since they can be pretty rough and scratchy until they've been washed a few times.

I did indulge in buying more wool yarn since it was half-price at the time. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that. Well, I do know what I'm going to do with it, more like who is going to get it. I already have a couple for myself so I don't need another one. So I will probably keep an eye out for someone who will appreciate having a wool blanket, even though it's a bit of work to wash and can only be air-dried unless they want it to shrink.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am going to post a some things I made a month or two ago.

This is my long infinity scarf. It can go around both my neck and my head. The fuzziness of the yarn makes it good on windy days.

Name:  13086226004_0518649851.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  65.9 KB

This is my short infinity scarf. It is a neck warmer.

Name:  13085891795_67c0c07303.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  57.8 KB

This is a scrappy dishcloth with three different yarns. I call this one sweet on the outside, passionate inside.

Name:  13085816045_5662dcdf93.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  127.4 KB

This is my second scrappy dishcloth with only two different yarns. I call this hint of sunshine. I don't name every dishcloth I do, I just felt like naming these.

Name:  13085784435_4015162ee9.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  145.9 KB

I just got in some new dishcloth yarn. I have a fresh supply of Lily Sugar and Cream. I also have a new brand called I Love This Cotton. It is really nice, almost two nice to make dishcloths with. I have started a dishcloth with it, but I may make some non-dishcloth stuff with the yarn.

I still have some scrappy bits, from before. I stated making a new scrappy dishcloth, but put it aside when I got my new yarn. I am out of scrappy bits that got together reasonably well so the next scrappy dishcloths will not be as coordinated. With the new batch of dishcloth yarn, I got both solid and multicolor that went together so the scrappy dishcloths would work.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yay - finished the second gift afgan with a couple weeks to spare. I'm now back to my wool blanket for my car trunk. Still have some cool weather ahead so I will appreciate having something warm on my legs in the evenings.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I just picked up a book on freeform crochet lace. So far I have only looked at a few pages but it looks interesting.

I joined ravelry recently and signed with their freeform crochet group. I suppose I should say I started being an active member recently. I was a lurker for awhile. I initially joined to have access to their free patterns.

I have not done any freeform yet, but I am thinking about it more seriously than I was before.

I have a couple sewing projects I want to do this weekend, but I think next weekend I will do the freeform crochet.

And I just joined a dishcloth crochet along group so and I want to do the March pattern before March is over. I have a habit of making all my dishcloths the same pattern. I want to try to try some new patterns. Maybe I will have another new favorite that I do over and over instead of the one I currently do over and over.

Maybe April for freeform. Or maybe I can squeeze some in earlier.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Out of that yard of netting I have managed to get 7 dish scrubbies ( they work like a scotch bright pad) finished and am working on an 8th one. Maybe 9 will be the magic number I can get out of it. Since I don't like doing the net crochet as a portable project, I switched to my crochet along the edge of fleece for a cool looking blanket project. I managed to finish sewing the blanket stitch along the edge and am now doing the crochet edging part.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I managed to do a small freeform thing this weekend. I will post a picture later. The challenge in a freeform group for this month was to do something practical. I made a stand for a small light with a broken stand. It is kind of plain by freeform standards, but I am very pleased with how well it actually works as stand.

I am starting the dishcloth a-long. The dishcloth they picked has a whole bunch of different stiches. I have to review my stiches because I usually do the same stich over and over. In reviewing I found out I was not doing my crochet stiches correctly. I had taken a long break from crochet and I "remembered" how to do the basic stiches....

It was fine for the simple things I was doing. The stiches held together just fine. But a more complicated pattern would not turn out right. But I am glad for the chance to practice doing stiches the correct way on a small item.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never formally learned how to crochet, other than learning from a friend. lol

My wool blanket is coming along. It's a good thing it's still cold enough that having wool on my legs is a good thing. I looked at the next project in my queue and found it's not as far long as i thought it was.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Going back I realized that I was doing the stiches correctly after all. I messed up when I looked at the instruction in the book and misinterpreted them. It is all better now.

I finished my dishcloth. It is a scrappy thing. I used up the ends of several balls of variegated yarn. The outside row I ran out completely of the purple/green yarn and had to finish with a bit of pink/green yarn. I put plain white yarn in between rows which helps tie all the random variegated colors together.

2014 Crochet Corner-13548578235_6a4e8bc429_b.jpg

I also made a thing. Not sure what else to call it. I made it to hold up my light after the fold out stand broke off. It is a freeform creation, made without a pattern.

2014 Crochet Corner-13548589865_d85ae75709_b.jpg

I ordered a small batch of yarn which I hope to get this week or next. I ordered one of each of a few types to try. I am trying various acrylic yarns and a ball of Red Heart's new kitchen cotton Crème de la Crème.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Very cute 'thing' Kathy and love the dishcloths. That is all I have been doing are dishcloths. I not only need them but it is a pattern I can do in my head so something great to have on the hook to pick up whenever I feel like it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'll be seeing my friends this weekend so I can give them the afgans I made for them. I made a couple of scarves from wool I bought at the living history farm I go to regularly. It may be more expensive but it's hand sheared and spun. Plus the money goes to supporting the farm and its activities/events.

I'm almost done with my own wool afgan. I think this skein and one more will be the end of it. The next afgan in the queue is not as far along as I thought it was. But the yarn's chucky so it should go fast. After that, I have no idea what I'm going to do for my next project. I should see what's in my stash....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast