What types of yarn do you like?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default What types of yarn do you like?

This is my year for thinking about what kind of yarn I like.

I have discount store on line that is my favorite place to get yarn. There is a $50 minimum order. Over half the yarn is $1.99 or less, so $50 gets a lot of balls of yarn.

In the past I have gotten a variety of stuff just to see what I like. This time I want think about what types of yarn I liked before getting more yarn.

I am trying to keep a lot of this general, because the place I get my yarn does not have consistent yarns in stock. I think a lot of their stock is discontinued yarn.

Wool yarn:

Wool yarn feels good to work with. Unfortunately, the wool neck warmer I made seems a little itchy on my neck. I will make some things with other brands/styles of wool yarn and see if there is a consistent pattern. I enjoy dyeing wool yarn. Wool is easy to dye. Acrylic is much harder.

Fuzzy yarn (acrylic):

Right now I am working with a very fuzzy yarn which I am pretty sure is Red Heart symphony. (I am working with yarn a bought a few years ago and most of it does not have labels.) I like the fuzzy feel. I wonder if I would like the feel of it as much in warm weather. The downside is that the fuzziness of the yarn makes it harder to see the stiches. I think my scarf might be growing a tiny bit from extra stiches that were put in. But it will probably just look like a subtle ruffle that looks like it was intentional.

Cotton yarn:

I have been doing some dishcloths with Lily Sugar and Cream yarn. The yarn does not feel as nice as the wool or the fuzzy yarn, but it feels okay. It is a nice project to do in between larger projects or when I am not sure what to do next. I think it would be nice to always have at least a ball or two of this in stock.

I am wondering if other cotton yarn (marketed for clothing instead of dishcloths) would work for making dishcloths.

Novelty yarn:

I have some mixed feelings on novelty yarn. Overall I tend to like the novelty yarn that has a fuzzy or fleecy texture when it has been worked up.

I bought a several balls of ladder style yarn because I got a good deal. I really think it looks nicer on the ball than it does worked up. I think it would be nice if it was done with something loose, like fringe. I have seen it done up in necklaces too. I probably will not get more of it though.

I think I may get some ribbon yarn and do a fringe type thing with it on some outfits.

Also yarn with metallic bits often feels itchy to me, so I will stay away from that in the future.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Cotton yarn is my favorite but, like you pointed out, there isn't much variety. I find that sad because I think people would use cotton more if there was.

Wool is good for some projects but I don't wear it much. I prefer wool for pot holders (felted), wash clothes / dish scrubbers and soap-sliver holders.

Polyester is the only fuzzy or novelty yard I'll use. I like using it because it is usually inexpensive.

I'm allergic to acrylic. I also hate the feel of it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try to buy as little yarn as possible, as I already have a large stash. But my favorite is second hand cashmere. You can find it both on ebay and etsy, and it is incredible to work with. So soft and nice, and not too expensive. A large part of my stash is from a vacation to Shetland and the Faroes, where I got hold of left over bits of good quality wool from knitting factories. I only knit with natural fibers.
    Total paid/saved: $214 900
    Total goal: $304 900
    To do: $90 000

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Yes.

Bamboo is my favorite so far but I don't get to use that very often. I don't like straight acrylic yarns because they feel really weird to me so I usually look for things that are blended or natural.

I'm working with Wool Ease by Lion Brand Yarn at the moment and I'm enjoying it very much.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I find that acrylic quality varies a lot. In the past I have had acryclic yarn that felt rough and cheap. Then sometimes I will get yarn that feels really nice and I think, "it must be made of something good." I check the label and it is 100% acryclic.

So I try to keep an open attitude on yarn content.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I try to keep an open mind as well. I just like yarn that feels good and sometimes it's acrylic and sometimes it's a blend. I search clearance sales and look for more expensive stuff at a better price, then I feel better about it. Although, I just ordered some custom dyed yarn on Etsy...I had a weak moment. I just love yarn and think it's so yummy!

I definitely think everyone has their own likes and dislikes and that's why we have so much variety out there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've been on a wool kick recently since I buy wool from the local living history farm which supports events and projects there at the farm. I also LARP. Since we're on a camp where we occasionally have open fires/flames, wool is better for scarves. Wool will scorch before it burns, unlike acrylic which will be melting and burning by the time you smell it.

On the other hand, if I have a blanket I'm making for people, I generally use acrylic but it depends on how the yarn feels. Some acrylic yarns are scratchy, some are softer although those tend to be more expensive than the scratchy stuff.

This weekend is a Sheep and Fiber event about 45 minutes away from me. This will be the third year I've gone, although it's been around for much longer than that. There are a lot of vendors selling mostly wool and alpaca yarn as well as roving and the like. It's more expensive but I love it because I can find a lot of cool colors. They also teach drop spindling which I've been trying to learn. Since I recently got a permanent job, I can splurge on a couple of things like a knitting machine that I'm pretty sure I can use to make hats which I've been wanting to do for a while.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The kind of yarn I like best is the one I have finished knitting successfully, and have not run out of before the end of my project. And I like it to be the kind that doesn't have any (or many) knots or manufacturing flaws that I have to remove and splice. And it has to be a different kind that that pair of socks I knitted on for a week, and shrunk in the wash (not even dried in the dryer), and became instantly too small and stiff to do a thing with. And it mustn't leave fuzz on everything in the washer, and I must not be allergic to it when I wear it. And my family had better just love it when I use it for the many projects I knit and give them as gifts.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Right now all I can afford is red heart and I like it for what I use it for. Bags, blankets, kitty toys etc. I did get some caron simplify soft and it's nice.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sigh. I've become 'addicted' to yarn from Verdant Gryphon, a merchant who sells at the annual Sheep and Fiber event I've been going to the past few years. The colors are usually small batch dyed and therefore are just amazing! I think most of the yarn is either straight wool or a wool/silk blend. Still trying to figure out how many scarves I really need just so I can justify buying from this merchant. lol (And yes, she has a website if anyone's interested in what the colors are. )

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I prefer to only use wool and cotton, but I only buy yarn when I need it for a new project.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have recently discovered some nice yarns on Ebay. They come from merchants in China. I suppose many yarns I get in the store originally come from China, so why not buy directly.

I can get them pretty cheap, often cheaper than what I pay for acrylic. (The price varies because it is an auction.)

One is made from a blend of cotton and fiber made from milk. (Search "milk cotton" and "milky cotton" if you are interested.)

I have also done bamboo and bamboo blends. They are really soft.

I have bought a couple a balls made from aloe. They are also really soft.

I have just discovered an online store called yarn factory outlet. I have not ordered from them yet. I am temped because the prices are really good. They are close outs, so they will not have the same selection as a regular yarn store. They ship from Canada so I wonder if the shipping is high.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

for years didn't do much but liked lionbrand homespun though I know lots don't like it. then caron cakes came out a couple of years ago and since it was popular others copied it so between caron cakes and lion brand mandala ..built a stash since they keep coming out w new ones. only original caron cakes or their cotton for me.