cheap yarn love - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cheap yarn love

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I really have not had that much problems with acrylic things pilling for me. I have a some non-wool sweaters and only one or two had problems with pilling. And these are thrift store sweaters so they have seen some use before I bought them.

Maybe I will check the fiber content of them.

I started an "I like cheap things" thread in the main forum. It was inspired by this, but the ideas go beyond just yarn to most things I buy.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I crochet lapghans and donate them to charity. Because of this, even if I were willing to pay for wool, which I'm not, I wouldn't use it. I know there are some easy care wools, but acrylic is easy care, period. That is a virtue in the world of donated afghans.

There are indeed various qualities of acrylic, and some that were not to so great in the past have recently become noticeably better. I can choose those, and in the end I would rather make two lapghans or baby blankets to donate from inexpensive but serviceable acrylics, than one from costlier yarns. It does twice as much good for the same cost, and I have the fun of crocheting more. If the recipient doesn't like it, it can be passed on to someone else. Or given to the dog. I have no problem with making dogs happy either. Admittedly, I don't make wearables so how something feels against skin isn't an issue.

Crocheting is something I just do. It's a hobby, and I get a lot more "bang for my buck" from cheap or moderately priced acrylic. If it's fun for me to play with, that's all I need it to be. For me, the pleasure is far less in the finished object than in the making itself, and for that, acrylic is just fine. Just my take on it, for myself.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dcompton View Post
    Crocheting is something I just do. It's a hobby, and I get a lot more "bang for my buck" from cheap or moderately priced acrylic. If it's fun for me to play with, that's all I need it to be. For me, the pleasure is far less in the finished object than in the making itself, and for that, acrylic is just fine. Just my take on it, for myself.
    This is similar to the attitude I have with crochet.

Out of curiosity I have checked the content and condition of my sweaters. They are lightweight lacey things I wear inside when the temperature is just a little cool. They button up front, but I usually wear them open. All of them are thrift store finds.

There is one that has pilled pretty bad, it is a wool/acrylic blend. I am not sure if it was "properly cared for." Everything I buy from a the thrift shop goes through the washing machine before I wear it.

The rest are in good shape (no pilling). The content of the remaining sweaters: one cotton/viscose/nylon blend, three acrylic, one cotton/acrylic blend, three with tags cut off. The three with tags cut off feel like they are cotton, acrylic or a cotton /acrylic blend. They do not have that fuzzy feel you get with wool or acrylic that is trying to mimic wool.

So not all acyclic pills badly. Maybe it is just the acrylic that is trying to mimic the feel of wool? Or maybe the quality of acrylic has gotten better?
    KathyB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12