2016 Crochet Corner - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I survived the snow. Although my car battery finally up and died. Can't complain too much since I'm pretty sure it's original to the car which is 10 years old. Turns out the battery itself is in the trunk of the car. Go figure... Very weird. Glad I took my car to my usual shop. They're a great bunch of guys, especially since I have a stash of blankets in the trunk that I use for LARPing (Live Action Role Playing).

As for my yarns, I buy most of them from Michael's and/or Joanns. Most of the wools I get from a vendor called Verdant Gryphon (she has a website) or the Sheep and Yarn festival I go to once a year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Glad you survived the snow! LARPing sounds fun. Bet my son-in-law could get into that.
    Just a lot of sickness around here. Hubby and I both under the weather (cold/congestion stuff) and my youngest daughter has been home sick all week. She loves her job, so she really is sick! But that means we have had to get the grandson to pre-school and still have to keep Lily. And Ms Lily either has a bad cold or some major teething going on. Hoping I survive til the weekend!

I finished my scrap afghan and showed it to my daughter who admired it so much that I gave it to her. A few hours later she sent me a text with a frowning face and attached a picture of her hubby all snuggled up in the afghan.
    I've started a new one, same pattern. Black trim and using shades of maroon and pinks and purple. Should be interesting!
    And since I had to spend so much time in my robe, I really started to notice the color combos on it and decided it would do nicely for an afghan and I do have the colors in my stash! Navy blue, lighter blue, green and white. So I have my next stashbuster project lined up.
    Supposed to be nice here this weekend.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope you and yours get well soon.

LOL - I think my sisters have had the same problem with the afgans I made for them.

The projects you have planned sound really pretty. I have four WIP's so now it's a matter of figuring out which ones to focus on since at least one is for me and the others don't need to get anywhere soon. I've decided to focus on the wool one first since that's nearly finished (only a skein and a half to go) and it's easier to do when the weather's cold. One can wait since I'm not sure how much yarn I'm going to need since that's my rag bag one and I buy most of the yarn for that from the Sheep and Yarn festival in the fall. On one hand, I'm pretty sure I don't have enough to finish it. On the other, I need to figure out how much yarn I'm going to need to finish it. This is the one where I buy 'orphan' skeins that are on sale, simply because I like the color. The yarn is dyed in small batches.

A third one is a stash buster since I had bought a lot more of the yarn than I expected when I made an afgan for a friend. So I'm trying to use that up. I may need more of that yarn but I'll wait to see how much more I need before actually buying it. I think that was my problem initially. The fourth one is one where I picked up the yarn previously and I planned on using it for myself.

After these are done, I definitely have to really get going on the stash busting. lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Finished the wool afgan. Have one skein of that yarn left. I will probably use it for a scarf eventually.

Started work on the stashbuster since that is longer than my rag-bag afgan. The fourth project is sort of buried under those two and there's no 'need-by' date on that one.

I do have to donate a couple of afgans I've finished and no longer really like/want. The past couple of winters have been so cold, I've switched over to the wool blankets I've made for myself and have fallen in love with.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It sounds like you get so much done! You inspire me.
    The family had multiple rounds with a stomach flu, strep throat, upper respiratory infections...finally everyone is mostly well! I had to miss Lily's first birthday party because husband and I were getting over the stomach thing that dear Lily gave us! I thought she was well but at least five people got sick the day after the party. My oldest daughter referred to Lily as The Plague Rat. (My family has an odd sense of humor.)
    I got sidetracked from the stashbuster afghan (too much warm weather here) and have been doing dish cloths. I have a simple chicken scratch pattern for when I am minding the baby. At night I have been making some more decorative ones.... flowers, etc. Really enjoying it.
    I used to do thread crochet and thought I might like to make some of the vintage potholders. But I recall the thread I bought at Walmart being unpleasant to work with... not soft, hanging. Aunt Lydia, I think.
    Was wondering if it was still like that or if someone could recommend a good brand that was not too expensive?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry, I don't do thread crochet. I started a very basic one years ago which got put aside and buried somewhere. So I don't have any recommendations for crochet threads. Glad you and yours are finally feeling better, though.

I put aside my stashbuster afgan for the moment as well since I'm making another afgan for a friend. Got yarn for that afgan at about half off. I hope to get that done before the really warm weather hits. I do have the lightweight wool afgan to work on in the worst of the hot weather or scarves which don't cover my legs. I do admire you doing vintage and decorative patterns.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

On a whim I sent a message to Maggie Weldon on Etsy and asked about it. She designs a lot of beautiful patterns. Come to find out, sport crochet cotton and size 3 thread are interchangable! Wish I had known that years ago She sent me a link to some thread on her website. One is moderately priced. The other is a bit more expensive but oh man, the color selection! I bet it is a lot more pleasant to work with too.
    My husband compared it to cheap fishing line and quality fishing line. haha
    I was impressed that she answered so helpfully.
    I'm working on some floral dishrags now that she designed, 4 ply cotton, and enjoying that. My daughters love them. My niece has her kitchen decorated with daisies and sunflowers.
    So when I finish with these I am going to get a pattern from her website for the vintage looking potholders. So darned cute!
    I like to make the clothes for 18 inch dolls, too, and knowing about that thread has opened up a whole new world there, too.
    So darned simple. Huh!

Coffee break, then mind the baby while husband takes a walk. Have to take my mom to the oncologist Friday. Next week is spring break. WOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!
    But the school that my son-in-law teaches at has a different spring break later in April. This means I get 2 spring breaks! Life is good

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for sharing the information about the crochet cotton and thread. I wouldn't have thought to contact someone from Etsy, although it's nice to know that someone is willing to do that. Then again, it sounds like you're a regular customer of hers, so she probably is willing to help out more than just some random person.

One of my favorite wool yarn vendor has fingering and laceweight yarns (Laceweight | Yarn Weight | Verdant Gryphon | The Verdant Gryphon) but they can end up being expensive, depending on how much is needed for a project. But I love them because they're dyed in small batches. So the colors are always changing, although they do sometimes have "throwback Thursdays" where they bring out old dye recipes/batches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12