2016 Crochet Corner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default 2016 Crochet Corner

A new thread for a new year....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm about 90% done with a wool-blend afgan. Another couple of skeins should do it. Looks like I will have one skein of the yarn left over and I'm not sure what I intend to do with it since it's blended with some nylon or acrylic and I don't want to buy more yarn since I have a good sized stash to go through anyway. The rest of my yarn is generally acrylic.

Speaking of stash busting, I will probably work on another afgan I started to use up some of the stash. The weather is supposed to be warmer this coming weekend which means I can get some length on this project done so it starts to cover my legs. I keep my thermostat low and my crochet projects keep my legs warm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Turns out the wool yarn I'm currently using for the afgan is actually 100% wool, rather than the mix I thought it was. Not sure if it's changed or I was looking at another brand. While it makes washing it a PITA, at least it will keep whoever gets it warm. Not sure if I'm going to give it to a friend who does Rev. War re-enactments (if I can track him down) or I'll give it to someone else.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got a simple afghan in the works for when I watch tv at night. I'm also crocheting cotton dish cloths when I sit with my grand daughter in the mostly child proofed room. She will be a year old in February and we keep her five days a week.
    Chicken scratch pattern, simple, relaxing yet fun. Crocheting slippers for hubby and myself. Took a while to find the perfect pattern! Had to be easy (ha!) and use two strands of Red Heart super saver. (Someone gave me a bunch)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ressa, I also crochet afgans while watching tv at night. I got a bunch of yarn from a couple of people I know as well. lol Although they're generally a mixed bag of yarn (in one case, literally).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Mine are pretty literally mixed too! I feel like I need to use most of it before I buy new yarn but often can't resist. I make baby blankets, too, but took a break from it. I used to love doing the more elaborate patterns but seem lately to have concentration problems. (Husband retired! haha) That is why I have been sticking to simpler things.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I never learned how to read patterns so I never bothered to do more than simple afgans and scarves. I probably should take a crocheting class eventually. I would like to learn how to make hats and socks at least. lol

I know what you mean about buying new yarn I can't resist. Thankfully, I've been good about not going into the local Michaels, AC Moores, or Joanns recently and generally not going overboard when I do. On the other hand, I do love going to an annual Sheep and Yarn event and picking up some yarn there. I like the fact I get to talk to the vendors directly and being able to support small businesses, anyway.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I learned to crochet (and knit a little) from books. I didn't have anyone available to teach me (stay at home mom, no car) and It was easier for me to be able to look at the pictures and refer back to the books. I guess reading the patterns just went along with it. Never really knew if I was doing things right!
    We have Lily Beth (11 months) five lonnnng days a week and I don't much like hauling her to town. We have older grands visit on the weekend and I can't afford to take them. lol But when I do go, I make it count
    I would love to be able to support the small businesses like that. Not sure where I would go locally for yarn. I do like to shop at Rose Of Sharon Acres for goat milk soap and other natural stuff.
    (I had my own dairy goats for years and she was my mentor.)
    Think my biggest problem with crocheting is gauge. I stay away from clothes mostly for that reason.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fortunately for me, the Sheep and Yarn festival is only once a year (and on a weekend) so I splurge. A couple of the vendors at the festival also sell goat milk soap. I've only tried it once but it was good. I tend to buy my soaps from a couple of vendors at my local farmers' market. I haven't used store bought soaps in years.

Downside of it is, my favorite vendor (Verdant Gryphon) has a website so I try to stay off that as much as possible. I did also splurge a couple years back on some alpaca yarn from a vendor at my local farmers' market and made myself a blanket. Soooo warm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ohhhhh the luxury of working with quality yarn! Well worth the money!
    Unfortunately it doesn't happen very often here Hoping my slippers made from two strands of Red Heart soften some after washing.
    I made my own soap when I had the dairy goats. Simple recipe. We are sensitive to fragrances. Sometimes even problems with the essential oils.
    Hoping to try some crochet baskets next. Maybe even one to package the dish rags in! Too many ideas and too little time. Hubby is sitting the Lily in the playroom now so I can have a coffee break.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Went through the yarn for my own scrappy wool-blend afgan over the weekend. Turns out I have three different yarn 'weights' so I'll use them in different projects. I know I'll have to pick up some more of one of the weights but that will take some time. I'm not too worried about that since I have enough yarn in my stash to keep working on other projects while I accumulate more of the wool-blend yarn (which comes from the Sheep and Yarn festival).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If the forecast holds true, it looks like this weekend is going to be a crochet and DVD event. My area's supposed to get the largest snow storm of the season. Not sure how much snow we're supposed to get, though.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hope the weather is behaving nicely for you! Drop in temps here made it easier to work on my afghan. Hoping to finish it this weekend.
    My internet modem went out early Sunday morning and we did not get a replacement until Thursday morning. Funny thing... I have been having terrible anxiety problems lately and medication is not helping much. It all seemed to evaporate while I was without internet. Huh??!!! So when I got back online, I ditched my Facebook account. And I am still feeling fine. Guess I do not need that much stimulation!
    Enjoyed watching some movies and made several more pairs of slippers for myself and some hats for gifts. Still doing the dish cloths. Think I will see about designing myself a label just so they will look nice when I give them as gifts.
    I'm interested in crocheting with the plastic bags. Anyone done any of that?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Well, it looks like over a foot of snow is forecast for my area this Friday night through Sunday Morning. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being closer to 2 feet. At least it's on a weekend so I don't have to worry about trying to get into work. They'll have most of Sunday to plow the roads, although my apartment complex usually does a better job than the township. Sigh. So I'm going to make soup and work on my afgans tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your anxiety problems. Here's hoping they don't return now that you have the internet back.

I haven't crocheted with plastic bags. Let me know how it works out. I've only used acrylic and wool yarns mostly, and once with alpaca. Some of the wool are wool blends (mostly wool with some nylon, a little bit of silk and cashmire).

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

No snow here. I live just outside of Texarkana, TX. The town straddles the Texas and Arkansas state line. It is cold, though. We had rain this past week. Being out of town and living on a dead end road, even though it is kind of paved, we are dead in the water when the roads are iced/snowed over unless a neighbor with a tractor and equipment does everyone a favor. My husband was forced into an early retirement (with bonus, so not bad at all) so we don't have to worry about having to be somewhere on a daily basis. They bring the grandkids to us Well, my husband does pick the two older grand girls up from school and takes them home.
    Hope you keep warm and happy this weekend. I love making soups. What kind of movies do you like to watch?
    It will be a while before I attempt the plastic bags. I really need some easy to clean door mats, though. Maybe I will at least try to get some strips started.
    Taking that defective modem and dropping it off at the Windstream store today. Hobby Lobby is in the same area so I will check out the yarn and flannel. Maybe lunch out!

Where do you buy your yarns?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast