Visiting Maine - Anything I should see?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Question Visiting Maine - Anything I should see?

My family is taking a trip to Maine the first part of June. We are landing in Portland and driving up to Bar Harbor for a day or two. Luckily we will be staying a week and plan to shop in Freeport while there. Is there anything else that I definitely do not want to miss? Also, could anyone recommend reasonable accomodations for Freeport?

Thanks to anyone who can offer suggestions.

Rhonda

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

OMGosh Where to start?? Portland Head Lighthouse is gorgeous. http://www.visitmaine.com/attraction...l4p70esm78p8q7

might hit some farmers markets in June and give a try at fiddleheads (vegetable...sorta...one of my favorites!)

you could go whale watching off the coast

Go to the top of Cadillac Mtn, the northern end of the Appallacian trail!!

Hike in the woods, paddle a canoe, in Saco there's Funtown and another park too...

ummmm hmmmmm, man if I lived back home instead of away, i'd be your tour guide!! There's tons to do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you like lobster, you will definitely want to have some while in ME.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Eat at the Salty Dog in Bangor and go see Stephen King's house, Bar Harbor, in Freeport, go to the LLBean store, and we ate at a little restaurant on the water, can;t remember the name , you had to drive a little bit, just a hole in the wall place, but wonderful food and you sit right there on the water.....LOVE LOVE LOVE it.....this is where we will be going for our 25th anniversary in 3 yrs.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I live 15min from Freeport and if it was me I would get a hotel in Brunswick the town next to freeport. The naval air station is located in this town and they have a lot of hotels the base is closing this year but you can get a much better rate then in Freeport. The drive from portland to Bar Harbor will take you 2.5 hours. If you plan on staying in Bar Harbor accomidations their are very expensive. You can camp which is much cheeper or stay ouside of the town. You can stay in Elsworth or Bangor much better rate. Oh by the way Elsworth has an LL Bean outlet. My daughters and I have spent a week in Bar Harbor every summer for the past 7 or 8 years we usually camp.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good suggestions so far... There is so much to do in Maine, it's too bad you don't have two weeks. I used to spend my entire summer on a lake in Northern Maine when I was a kid. I love to camp and fish in Maine.

If it were my trip and I wasn't into roughing it, I would visit Bar Harbor and then Campabello Island (Where FDR used to vacation). If you want to head South, you could follow the coast down to Kittery, ME and visit the Kittery Trading Post and outlets.

I hope you like seafood. Get some New England Clam Chowder while you are there.

Have a great time! I'm jealous!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Rhonda...

Freeport is great! I went shopping there on Saturday with a friend and our daughters. We got a wonderful lobster bisque at a place called " The Lobster Crockpot" I believe. It is a relaxed atmosphere, a great kid place with good food. There is a large parking area behind the resturant that you can park all day in. It is in walking distance to all the downtown shops. We went to Gap, the Abercrombie & Fitch outlet, Beans, Ben & Jerry's, Starbucks... You could spend a whole week shopping in the outlets down there.

After Freeport I would go to Camden and Rockland. If you are a hiker you could climb Mt. Battie in Camden. If you are not a hiker just drive up to the top. Once there you will see all down into Camden harbor. The view is spectular. Camden has many wonderful shops and resturants. Don't miss it!

If you go to Rockland, plan a trip to the islands off the coast. You can take the ferry to either Vinalhaven of North Haven. North Haven is the smaller island and very bike accessible. If you take your car on the island, be sure to wave at every car that you meet. It is an island thing.

I live right outside of Augusta, Maine's Capital City. The Maine State Museum is located next to the Capital Building. Fort Western is only a few miles away, across the river. This fort is one of the oldest in the country.

If you plan on camping in June, you should plan for cool weather. We have many campgrounds that even have cabins you could rent. I would google that for availalbity.

Also, in June we have "Open Farm Day". I believe it is on the third Sunday of the month. Farms all over the state are open to the public. The Sunday papers will say where the farms are and what they are offering. Farm stands will be open and strawberries will be ripe by then too.

That is all for now. I may think of more later. I have lived here all my life, so you can pm me if you have any questions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a link to a travel article I wrote a few years ago:

Uggh - can't post the link because I've not posted 15 times yet.

Go to:
    justsaygo.com and at the very bottom is where the articles are and there are a few for Maine - I wrote a couple of them.

If you have any questions about Maine, don't hesitate to message me!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you are on route 1, especially down in wells and up through wiscasset, it is beautiful- goes right up the coast. There are so many cute waterfront villages. I particularly like damariscotta (beyond wiscasset, on business route 1, which is just a bypass of route 1, it is a few miles long- just stay on it and it brings you back to route 1).

Have fun!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

fyi, wells has a lot (or used to) of used bookstores!

See the used book lover's guide to New England or the publisher http://bookhunterpress.com/

They also do guides for the rest of the country. See if your library has 'em!

Judi