Retiring in Vermont

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Retiring in Vermont

Due to intolerable circumstances and exceedingly high stress, hub wants to retire in a few months, maybe earlier. That puts us at a third of what he makes now, for about 3 years. We were hoping to buy a small home in Vermont and get involved in local things. Does anyone have any suggestions about place possiblities? Chester and Bennington are some of the areas we are contemplating. We will, hopefully fly out toward the end of the year. I've been in Vermont in July and loved it. Any suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wish I could help you with ideas, but haven't visited Vermont in over 35 years - what a beautiful state you've chosen. Most people head to the warmer climates to retire and you're heading for the cold. Are you from there originally?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mauimagic...No, we are both originally from California and then spent 17 years in Las Vegas, Nevada before coming to Albuquerque.

It looks as if DH & I will be staying in Albuquerque, even when he reitres, for the time being. Hopefully, we will get to Vermont.

Guess I'd better head over to the Southwest section now. Have a safe and happy 4th.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Bennington, as it's the local "big town" will be more expensive, although it IS nice. Try looking at data in the places rated, retirement book. Also, the Vermont ARts council no doubt has some stuff. If you wind up in Brattleboro, I could be more helpful. We're on the board of a photography gallery there, I know a DJ there, I know some of the antique dealers and booksellers there. But I know next to nothing about Bennington, and less about Chester.

Are you used to snow? Large winter storms (i.e., Nor'easters?) we get 'em. I'm in southern NH and the farther north you get of course, the worse the weather is.

The only Aldi hereabouts is in Bennington, I believe.

Judi