I know yankees are frugal!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default I know yankees are frugal!

Where are all of the New Englanders? I saw someone the other day on here from Franklin, NH and I've seen a few from Maine and Mass. Anyone else? Know of any great spots to hit for bargains?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm from Franklin, NH.

I just hit the sales & clearances in any & all stores that I can!
    We don't have anything great like some people do. At least nothing that i have found! LOL
    Where in NH are you?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am from Massachusetts, about 15 miles north of boston.
    Cold and rainy here today.
    You asked about a few places for bargins. For general stuff if you are near the MA border, seek out the store Building 19. It is one of those places you never know what you are going to find, they have fabric, kitchen items, clothing, furniture,etc. I live about a mile from one and the last time I was there, I bought xmas cards (hallmark) 2.00 a box of 18. Fleece throws in cute patterns 3.99 each. (they cover a full size bed.) Merchandise changes frequently, so if you see it one day it may not be there the next. Pretty much hit or miss. Be prepared to not find what you are looking for, Last year they had tons of halloween decorations, this year when I was looking for some new ones, I went there and they didnt really have any. I usually go there about once a week, with my a list of what I could use if it is the right price. Beware of the electronics and small kitchen appliciances. Most are reconditioned, although they will take back things that dont work with a reciept and everything put back in the original boxes. As for groceries, the best store near me with the lowest grocery prices is Market Basket/Demoulas. No other grocery store can beat prices. In some cases, the regular prices at market basket are lower than sale prices at other stores like shaws and stop and shop.
    I know that there are some great second hand clothing stores and the like around cambridge and boston, but I dont have the time to go to them. My ds21 goes to a store called the Garment District in Cambridge MA. I think thats the store that has a fill the bag sale on Sat. I dont know how much the bag is though. He did buy a great coat there (in perfect shape) for 5.00.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh my! I completely forgot about Building 19!
    There used to be one in Manchester, NH and when I lived there, I went there all the time. But they closed some years ago.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm from Mass. about 30 mi NW of Boston.

I like to go to the Christmas Tree Shops for bargains, and I second the recommendation for Building 19. Big Lots seems to be popular too, though I've never been to one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Since I dont live near a christman tree shop, I dont go there that often. My dm goes once a week. I tell her if I need something specfic. I havent been to Big Lot's but if I go buy a Ocean State Job Lot I will go in. I have found some great bargins there. A friend of mine lives near one, when I visit I always stop in.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Funny--I grew up in Manchester and totally forgot about Bldg. 19!!! Now I live in Hampton, NH and for groceries I love Demoulas/Market Basket! They are so cheap. I find they don't have variety like Hannaford or Shaw's, but the prices can't be beat!

For bargain shopping, I go to Goodwill in Portsmouth which is right next to a Big Lots!! I wish we had more consignment stores around here, but we don't have too many. There's one right down the street from me, but they are still so expensive.

Today I hit the Walmart in Portsmouth and they had a huge part of the store dedicated to clearance. Great buys, but I had my three year old who hates to shop with me. Oh well--he probably saved me money!

Glad to hear from all of you yankees!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am a true yankee as well.
    Grew up in Mass., now live in southern Maine. I go to the same Goodwill in Portsmouth, as well as the one in Dover, NH. Used to go to the Salvation Army in Rochester, NH, but haven't been there in awhile. I will hit the end of season clearances at the outlets in Kittery as well.(I love Crate and Barrel)
    I grocery shop at MB/Demoulas-can't beat their prices! And tomorrow I am meeting my DD (who goes to college in Portland) for lunch and we will go to the Xmas Tree Shop..always a great place for baskets, bags...will keep you posted if I find any bargains...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too will probally be going up to the outlets in kittery after xmas. I am lucky we have a crate and Barrell outlet in Woburn MA, a short drive from my house. If I am in that area I stop in. Where I live, Burlington MA I am situated in supermarket central. There are 4 Market Baskets, a Shaws, and a Roach Bros. All within 5-7 miles of my house. With market basket it depends on the size of the store. The one closest to my house is smaller and doesnt carry much more than necessities. The one the next town over is huge, has a in store bakery, and carries much more. The shaws closest to me is also hugh and expensive, I only go there when I have to or to buy something with a coupon. Roach Bros. it just way too expensive for everyday groceries. The only thing about market basket is that they dont double coupons.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am a "Mainer" who loves the LL Bean Clearance Store in Waterville Maine they have unused returned items and items that are no longer being offered in the retail store a great place for Christmas stuff at really low prices!

I look forward to talking with my fellow New England Pals!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

One of my friends just got a great sled from LL Bean for FREE. She was in the store shopping, while her husband was outside with the kids eating. He went to throw away their garbage in the dumpster and opened it up and found this beautiful sled they were just throwing away. My guess is that someone had returned it for a very MINOR crack in one of the slats of wood. It retails for $90.00. Pays to dumpster dive, I guess!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Great find. I love the LLbean store, A new retail store has opened not far from me. I got a cotton sweater on sale for 9.49. I always thought that the retail stores didnt have many sales. Have you recieved the Novemeber sale catalog yet? There are some great buys in there. I live too far from the outlets, to make regular trips. If I am in the area of one I always stop in. I always find things too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Has anyone been to the Tilton, NH Tanger Outlet Mall? I know some of the stores still have ridiculous prices but some have great markdowns.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Off the subject, but I just wanted to let all of you New Englanders that may be close by to me that I'm giving away a rocking horse to anyone who wants it that can come to p/u this weekend. I'm in Hampton, NH.

The rocking horse is in fantastic condition--I described it in detail under the "Freebies and Bargains" section incase anyone is interested. It would be a great Christmas present for a toddler/maybe preschooler.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

FYI--The above mentioned rocking horse has now been promised to someone. Thanks for reading!