Hello from somewhere in the U.S.A.!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Hello from somewhere in the U.S.A.!

I am retired military, and have a "half-pay" pension. (20 yr retirement) I try to live as cheaply as possible while still having all the "comforts of home." I was fortunate in that I was gifted 80 acres from my paternal grandparents, and there is a septic tank and deep well on the property, as well as a fast flowing stream that runs year round. I live in an all-electric 23 ft camper trailer anchored to a 12" thick concreted slab. Off-grid almost completely. I do have satellite Wi-Fi, and a smart phone. I have two 7.5 KW water turbines, one in use, the other for a backup. Most of my shopping is done at Sam's Club or WalMart, but at times I will use Amazon, etc.

Always looking for suggestions on how to further reduce costs without reducing quality of life! I am somewhat of a "survivalist" and also take advantage of the "stand-downs" to obtain free MREs and surplus military gear/clothing. The immediate 5 acres around the camper is fenced (8' cyclone fence, with blackberry cutting around the perimeter...will form quite a nice barrier once they are of any size! I have a pretty good size garden, about an acre, with everything from asparagus to zucchini, and there is an abundance of small game that traipses around my property...from squirrels and rabbit to wild hogs and deer. There is roughly a 10 month growing season here, which is very nice!! Theoretically, if I laid in a long-term supply of condiments, flour, sugar and the like, I could "live off the land" indefinitely.

For those singles, or couples without children, looking for a very inexpensive way to live comfortably, I would highly recommend getting a piece of property with a fast flowing stream on it, buying a smallish camper trailer (23' - 32'), a water turbine, putting in a well/septic tank, thus completely avoiding any rent/mortgage, power, water, sewage bills. You can't get any cheaper than to have NO electric, water, sewage, or rent/mortgage to pay!!

Cheapest groceries I've found are at Sam's Club or WalMart. For those with firearms, there are several discount ammo sources online. And for a really cheap way to fill the freezer with small game, think "air rifle." I have two, both .22 cal., and capable of taking everything from squirrels to small wild hogs. Also have a cheap crossbow which is capable of taking down hogs and deer. With the cost of meat being what it is, you can believe I keep my freezer filled with wild game, and frozen veggies from the garden! Home defense is another story...I have real firearms for that, and two rather large dogs. The area where I live is fairly isolated...in the 10 square miles around my property there might be 10-12 homes. My nearest neighbor is almost a mile down the road.

Be happy to hear any suggestions on how to further reduce costs, while maintaining comfort!
    The less expensive, the better!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Welcome PoBoy.

I live in a highly urbanized area, so I am not sure I can give you too much useful advice. But I am glad to have another member here.

We have deer in the park near where I live, but I think I would be in big trouble if I went hunting there. Especially since stray shots could easily go in the houses next to the park.

I get lots of stuff of Amazon. It is usually cheaper than local. Part of that is because I live in a high cost of living area. But you could do cost comparison on Amazon. We have prime which gives us free shipping. Well I guess technically we pay a fixed yearly price for all shipping.

I do a lot of altering/modify of old clothes. It is a fun hobby and generally a money saver. I sometimes do other craft projects with recycled fabric. It is a mostly free hobby. For example, with a stuffed bear just I pay for thread, stuffing and plastic eyes. I also make things with new fabric too. Things like blankets and table clothes from thrift stores can be good for making clothing or craft projects.
    KathyB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sounds like a good setup. Do you use batteries for backup, or does the stream always deliver enough or more energy than you use?
    Total paid/saved: $82 600
    Total goal 2019: $12 200 done ($39 300 to go)
    Total goal: $272 900
    To do: $190 300

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by gaja View Post
    Sounds like a good setup. Do you use batteries for backup, or does the stream always deliver enough or more energy than you use?
    I have battery backup and an inverter. The stream always runs though...but it doesn't hurt to have the batteries charged!
    The less expensive, the better!