Another dehydrating post, sorry!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Another dehydrating post, sorry!

I saw a thread by vigilant20 on another forum I'm on and came here to search out the dehydrating threads only to find quite a few of them! But there are so many pages and I recently I haven't been able to be online as much as I used to be. Anyways but I have some pretty specific questions so I figured since there are so many dehydrating folks on here...maybe someone could help me

I'm just going to list them, if you know any of the answers please enlighten me (^_^)

--------------------------
    1) How cost effective is dehydrating? Anyone perhaps know the exact energy usage of typical dehydrator use?

2) Has anyone attempted making a powdered smoothie mix of sorts? Maybe dehydrating different fruits, freezing them to "crisp them up" (I've read it's sometimes necessary), then grinding them up together into a powder that you could throw into a blender with liquids for a "smoothie"? If you have, did this work? The idea just popped into my head.

3) If I'm having to live VERY frugally starting soon (see my introduction post to know all about that) do you think that dehydrating foods could be helpful? My mom has offered to buy me a dehydrator (I've considered trying to get the one vigilant20 uses as it's cheap but effective) if I want one. What makes it frugal, in your opinion?

4) What are some great things to dehydrate and some things to use them for? For instance, corn...would I only put that in something like a soup or would rehydrating it and eating it plain taste OK...or gross?

5) I've seen people dehydrating things like spaghetti sauce. How does this work and how do you use it?

6) I see that some people use frozen or canned fruits/vegetables sometimes. Obviously price wise this is sometimes a great option, but what do you think about the flavor compared to fresh?

7) I've heard of those oxygen pack things for long term storage. Do you use these? How much are they? If you don't use them, how long do your dehydrated foods last? What about with them?

That's all for now. I had another one but I forgot it lol.
    TIA

Master Dollar Stretcher LastDragonfly's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ValleyOfLotus View Post
    I saw a thread by vigilant20 on another forum I'm on and came here to search out the dehydrating threads only to find quite a few of them! But there are so many pages and I recently I haven't been able to be online as much as I used to be. Anyways but I have some pretty specific questions so I figured since there are so many dehydrating folks on here...maybe someone could help me

I'm just going to list them, if you know any of the answers please enlighten me (^_^)

--------------------------
    1) How cost effective is dehydrating? Anyone perhaps know the exact energy usage of typical dehydrator use? My dehydrator costs about 6 cents per hour...I have an Excalibur 9 tray.

2) Has anyone attempted making a powdered smoothie mix of sorts? Maybe dehydrating different fruits, freezing them to "crisp them up" (I've read it's sometimes necessary), then grinding them up together into a powder that you could throw into a blender with liquids for a "smoothie"? If you have, did this work? The idea just popped into my head.
    I make all sorts of powders for lots of things...I like strawberry powder to add to smoothies.
    3) If I'm having to live VERY frugally starting soon (see my introduction post to know all about that) do you think that dehydrating foods could be helpful? My mom has offered to buy me a dehydrator (I've considered trying to get the one vigilant20 uses as it's cheap but effective) if I want one. What makes it frugal, in your opinion?
    We eat lots of frozen veggies, however, I was running out of freezer space and prices continue to RISE. I was able to buy veggies at one price and therefore locking in that price for me.

4) What are some great things to dehydrate and some things to use them for? For instance, corn...would I only put that in something like a soup or would rehydrating it and eating it plain taste OK...or gross?
    Rehydrated corn tastes just like frozen and or canned.
    5) I've seen people dehydrating things like spaghetti sauce. How does this work and how do you use it?
    Dry your spaghetti sauce as a leather...watch the videos on the thread sticky....showing leathers.. I no longer waste spaghetti sauces. it's awesome...rehydrate it and use it just as normal.
    6) I see that some people use frozen or canned fruits/vegetables sometimes. Obviously price wise this is sometimes a great option, but what do you think about the flavor compared to fresh?
    Dehydrated foods have intense flavor...I love dehydrated canned pineapple...
    7) I've heard of those oxygen pack things for long term storage. Do you use these? How much are they? If you don't use them, how long do your dehydrated foods last? What about with them?

Depending on where you purchase them will determine their amount. I think I bought 100 for $16 from sorbent systems
    That's all for now. I had another one but I forgot it lol.
    TIA

Hope this helps you. Dehydrating your foods will help you supplement your pantry and give you the ability to stockpile without taking up tons of pantry space...I am a true believer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks so much Misti, that was very helpful!
    By the way one of my best friend's is named Misty, what a great name lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Bought a dehydrator and some mason jars yesterday! I'm ordering some oxygen packs online but I have to wait a couple of days.

How long does dehydrated food stay good in jars without the packets? Just want to be sure they'll be fine until I can get some!