Peach pie filling
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Peach pie filling

I want to can some jars of peach pie filling. I have some questions that I need answered. I have to wait for the peaches to ripen some more so I have a few days.
    1) I don't use cornstarch or tapioca to thicken my pie fillings. I use flour. Can I make up the filling like I always do when I'm making a pie, but then fill quart jars and then process?
    2) I use cinnamon in my peach pies. Do I add this in the filling before processing? Or should I wait until I'm ready to make a pie and add it then?
    3) Should I even bother making up pie filling and just slice the peaches and then can them. And then when I want to make a pie, just drain them and go from there?

I'd like to be able to save some time later when making a pie, by just opening a jar and using it like you would a commercially canned pie filling.

If I do make the filling, how long should I process the quart jars?

Do I cook the filling first and then put in the jars? Seems to me that the water bath would cook the peaches enough that I wouldn't have to do this.

I haven't been able to come across a recipe for peach pie filling to can.
    Anyone know of one some where?

Thank You!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I suggest using this recipe.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_02/...h_filling.html

It wasn't all that long ago that recipes for making home canned pie filling was risky because of food safety problems associated with them, so I suggest you only use TESTED recipes from the National Center for Home Food Preservation, or the recipes in the Ball Blue Book. Note that lemon juice is added to assure the correct acidity level (pH) for safe canning, so don't leave it out. Use bottled lemon juice because it has a consistant acidity that juice from fresh lemons don't have.

The first rule of home canning - never make up your own recipes. Without scientific testing, you will not know how long the product needs to be processed to be safe.

The second rule - never alter recipes or the amount of ingredients in them, unless they are included as options in the recipe. Adding extra starch, flour or other thickeners to recipes will change the rate of heat penetration into the product and can result in under-processing and a greater potential for a bacterial growth. "Extra" ingredients can also dilute the acidity and can result in botulism poisioning.

The third rule - never double recipes, because it can alter the pH.

I guess rule #4 would be to know what your altitude is so you process foods the proper length of time. Here in "flat" Kansas our altitudes vary between 75-ft. to 4,039-ft. above sea level. Timing begins when the water in your canner comes back to a boil, not when you place the jars in the water.

Flour isn't a good thickener to use in home canning. It can alter the density of foods and heat penetration may be altered, causing bacteria to grow. I suggest Clear Jel.

Another option is to freeze the peaches.

BTW - avoid using windfall fruit in home-canned pie fillings. They may contain bacteria from ground/animal/animal feces contact.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

all good to know thank you!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got a bunch of canned pie filling recipes in a bulletin from my co-operative extension agent several years ago. They were all delish, and the thickening was ClearJel.

If you're not familiar with co-op extension, it's the 'adult' branch of 4H, and your 4H person can put you in touch with them.

I give RosieDisposition canned peach pie filling for Christmas!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a couple of boxes of clear jel. guess I better get some more soon lol the peaches will be ready in a few days