How are you using dehydrated foods?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How are you using dehydrated foods?

The dehydrated pineapple gets eaten up as a snack really fast in my house; I never even get a chance to think about long-term storage! I also like to cook dehydrated zucchini and then mix into the mexican style stewed tomatoes, and I enjoy dehydrated lemons in my tea. The dog got to enjoy the last of my dehydrated strawberries (and hubby has been threatened to within an inch of his life if he ever feeds them to the dog again!) It's getting close to strawberry season, and I can't wait to dry more strawberries....one of my absolute favorite snacks!

How are you using the foods you've dehydrated?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had big plans for the dehydrated peaches.........but I ate them all!!! As did most of the apples.......still have some of those to do though.

Don't know what I had planned for the 'nanas but I have eaten a fair share of them.

I have used some tomatoes in soup- also squash.

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use my veggies mostly in soups or stews. The fruits usually get eaten right away too!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Can I ask what kind of dehydrators you all use?? Are they electric? Do you just store things in air tight jars?
    I bought powdered foods recently. We will try that out soon. next I want a grinder for grains. Now I may need a dehydrator?lol. pooor DH.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Fruits just don't last. I hope to do more cherries and strawberries this year. I have loads of dehydrated zucchini from last year. I would like to try making a casserole with it but i'd be the only one to eat it. lol The onion, leek, celery, carrot and corn are almost used up from soups and stews. I'll be dehydrating more of them this summer too. I think I'll move them into large canning jars and put them in a cupboard with the goal of filling each jar.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Good thread. I like to get new ideas for using dehydrated food.

I use dehydrated mushrooms in lots of things. I use dehydrated tomatoes and onions for soup, chili and pasta sauce. I was able to get bags of frozen vegetables free so I dehydrated many bags of peas, beans and corn but I haven't used them for anything except in soups and adding to casseroles. Last summer I dried zucchini slices and have them as a snack (not a great snack... but low in calories. Next time I get some zucchini to dehydrate, I'll put some seasoned salt on the slices before I dehydrate them.)

I use lots of dehydrated apples - in oatmeal, baking, snacks. I have started making fruit roll ups with ripe bananas. I like them this way better than dehydrated slices. I went through strawberries so quickly; I'm going to be dehydrating a lot more strawberries this year. I put them in oatmeal, eat them as snacks, use them in baking.
    Last edited by RaineyDaye; 04-07-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by frugalwarrior2 View Post
    Can I ask what kind of dehydrators you all use?? Are they electric? Do you just store things in air tight jars?
    I bought powdered foods recently. We will try that out soon. next I want a grinder for grains. Now I may need a dehydrator?lol. pooor DH.
    I have an Excalibur dehydrator (it is electric). I store most of my dehydrated foods in glass jars sealed with the hose attachment for my vacuum sealer. I also have some food stored in plastic bags (Food Saver bags).

I haven't saved much money since I joined Frugal Village. I bought a dehydrator, then a better vacuum sealer, a mandoline slicer, vacuum canisters, food saver bags, oxygen absorbers, two dozen canning jars, and probably more things since I started dehydrating food. (Expensive at first, but worth it!) Now I'm saving for a grain mill. I wouldn't have known about dehydrating or grinding grain if I hadn't read about them here!

Edited to add: I also bought an apple slicer/corer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    I had big plans for the dehydrated peaches.........but I ate them all!!! As did most of the apples.......still have some of those to do though.

Don't know what I had planned for the 'nanas but I have eaten a fair share of them.

I have used some tomatoes in soup- also squash.
    Dehydrated peaches sound delish...how did you prepare them? (Sliced, chopped, as a fruit rollup, with honey, how long did you dry them, etc.?)

I need to make some more apple rings too - GREAT alternative to potato chips!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have the Excalibur 9-tray dehydrator. It's electric. I normally use food saver bags or canning jars. We have this peer recognition program at work - the awards are $50 each, and you can redeem them for gift certificates to various retailers. I had 3 of them that I redeemed for Cabela's gift certificates, and hubby (who buys enough from Cabela's that they actually send him HARD BACK catalogs!) had a really good coupon, and we applied all of that toward the dehydrator so it ended up costing significantly less out of pocket than it otherwise would have. I had one of the Nesco/American Harvest dehydrators before and I like this one much better.

I would love to hear more on what you think about the powdered foods, and also where you get them from. My hubby is a fan of MREdepot.com. (I'm not entirely convinced that we needed that much canned butter!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by RaineyDaye View Post
    I haven't saved much money since I joined Frugal Village. I bought a dehydrator, then a better vacuum sealer, a mandoline slicer, vacuum canisters, food saver bags, oxygen absorbers, two dozen canning jars, and probably more things since I started dehydrating food. (Expensive at first, but worth it!) Now I'm saving for a grain mill. I wouldn't have known about dehydrating or grinding grain if I hadn't read about them here!
    Edited to add: I also bought an apple slicer/corer.
    Oh RD........this cracked me up! ME TOO! I haven't bought near the stuff that you have but did buy the Nesco/American dehydrator and Food Saver.........oh yeah.......since joining FV!!!

The Nesco satisfies what I need. And I don't want the storage problem that the Excalibur would give me. (my Nesco is expanable and I haven't needed to do that yet) I did buy the fruit roll up trays for it.

The Food Saver has probably more than paid for itself with saving food and making it last longer. I DID buy some bags on Ebay and they were a lot cheaper.

LB---as for the peaches...........I just sliced them......dipped in lemon juice mixture and sprinkled them with cinn./sugar mixture before drying (did that to the nanas too but I love cinn/sugar!).............think this is why I ate them just about as fast as I could dry them!! YUM!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

LB-I bought from Honeyville Farms. All orders no matter how lg. go for about $4.50 shipping. I got orange and mint hot choc. in the mini,dehydrated whole eggs,powdered cheeses sauce,a bucket,some absorbers,and a choc. milk alternative. I have only tried the mint hot choc. It is diff but I like it and so does the rest of the family.

The second order was a save 15%. So I ordered the dehydrated butter,2 more buckets for rice/flour,a small pkg. of Groats,the large hot choc. mint because it's on out of season clearance and 50# of dark rye. My DH will shxx when he sees 50#. I am under the impression I will make bread again soon. Haven't done by hand or w/o a kit in yeeears. Anyway, I have mananged to "donate about $200" to them so far. Walton feed is another one I have looked at. Emergency Essentials too. But haven't bought (yet).

Rainey-Must be spring?? I am lusting and pining for a dehydrator and mill.Also I found a place that teaches things like beekeeping ,cheese making and soap making. I could spent $$$$ there too. I also will be buying a dozen super sized canning jars for my pasta. (possible mousy). I have bought 6 shelving units this year too. 3 sets of storage plastics @ $20. each at Sams. A new crock pot. A Costco membership to get the organics.

The feeling of having some control and walking into my mini groc. store priceless.
    I love this site. You really made me laugh. Peas in a pod!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've never used a dehydrator but wanted to let you know that I think it's neat all of you do. A friend of ours used to bring over jerky for us to eat, miss those days. That stuff was sooo good.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have bought 6 shelving units this year too. 3 sets of storage plastics @ $20. each at Sams. A new crock pot. A Costco membership to get the organics.
    You reminded me of more things I have purchased since joining Frugal Village - more shelves for my pantry, and a bunch of plastic storage containers because I got stockpile envy from looking at people's stockpile pictures. I do rationalize all the money I've spend by saying that in the long run, it will save me money, but then again, someone will probably post about something that I'll then want need to buy, and so goes my future savings...

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I hear all of you on the items purchased to save money in the long run since joining FV! I have the Excallibur dehydrator, Wondermill grain mill, new heavy duty shelves for long term pantry storage, canning jars, oxygen absorbers, mylar bags, a food saver (that I did have before, but didn't use for all the stuff I do now) ect.....

I buy from Honeyville farms, Emergency Essential, and a few more places. I just bought a bunch of wheat from Blue Chip group when the shipping was free on orders over a 100.00 the wheat was a great price and the free shipping made it a great deal.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is supposed to be a bumper crop of peaches here in Texas this year. The trees need it to get really cold (but not a hard freeze) to make blossoms and thus fruit. SO I am hoping peaches will be cheap and I will dehydrate them like crazy. I have tons of dehydrated apricots, strawberries, and bananas. I use them in breads, muffins, on cereal, etc.

I bought lots of jars of spaghetti sauce really cheap and I made tons of spaghetti sauce leather. I vacuum sealed in one meal servings and put in the freezer. Flat rolls of spaghetti sauce take up MUCH less space than jars.

I also have tons of dehydrated veggies. I use them in all sorts of recipes. I also dehydrate celery, garlic, and onions. I put the dried celery through the food processor and I have celery powder. The dehydrated onion and garlic are in vacuum sealed canning jars in the fridge.

I bought my Excalibur dehydrator used from Craigslist. I knew I needed and would use it.

If you go to the Foodsaver website and sign up for the newsletter you will get notices of sales on vacuum sealers, rolls, cannisters, etc. I saved up and bought a bunch of rolls (they get cheaper when you buy more), used a coupon, and got free shipping so I paid about half price for them. If you can't afford to do that, you could go in halves with someone. I also got my Foodsaver from their website when it was on sale and with a coupon. I got a really good price.

WARNING - Dehydrate garlic and onions outside!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast