Frugal Village Forums banner

how many do once a month cooking?

Tags
cooking month
4K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  she who can not cook 
#1 ·
I love the idea of it

What types of things do you cook that lend themselves well to this method of cooking.

Not that I have done lots of it, just a few meals here and there nothing that would really be considered OMAC.

Things like meatloaf, meatballs, cooked and shredded chicken and beef. soups.

#2 ·
I have done this kind of the same way you have. About a month ago I made double recipes of chili, spaghetti w/o noodles and goulash w/o noodles. I don't do this enough. It is sooo nice to not have to cook every night or when you come in late and are trying to find a quick meal w/o going out you have one ready to eat.

#4 ·
There are several books out there on the subject and I had one at one time. I will have to look into more meals that lend themselves to this method.

I really could get into having a big cooking day and having things ready to be pulled out at anytime.

I guess it is mostly the main dish of the meal that is cooked ahead. I am sure for the really experienced they include sides and desserts also.

#5 ·
I'd love to make enough spaghetti sauce, soups & cooked meat all frozen into portions for 4ppl for 2wks to a month but my dad is opposed to it and as soon as I made it and froze it, he'd be thawing it for dinner the next day until its all gone. I don't think he understands the concept of me making our own hm frozen dinners lol. I mean we'd only have to make pasta, rice or salad to go with the frozen item!

To those of you who are able to do this - I'm envious. :)

#6 ·
I was into this for a short time. Well not true OAMC but more like mini sessions.

I made soups, pasta dishes, twice baked potatoes, and muffins. It was a lot of work but it did pay off. I loved seeing the freezer filled and just being able to grab and go. :)

I always keep telling myself that I need to get back to this, but never do.

Reactions: jas
#13 ·
Palooka-very interesting. We do mashed potatoes. smooshed flat in a gallon bag. you can break off chunk,defrost and add butter.

I did oamc modified. Lately,not. The key for me was a list of what meals I had and a menu plan. Frying up about 10# of ground beef is good. I make nachos,chili,soup w/ a handful of hamb. thrown in.

#14 ·
This is a really great idea!! I dont know if I could be organized enough to do it all at once. Then I dont have freezer space to store it. It would be great though!! :)

#15 ·
I'm thinking of trying some of the oamc recipes when I got back to work in a couple of weeks. I work three 12 hr shifts a month, so having something to pull out of the freezer would really help my husband prepare dinner on my work days!

#16 ·
These are the things we do in huge batches and freeze:

meatloaf (we do 20 meatloaves at one time)

pizza - I par bake the crusts, add toppings, the put in 2 gallon zip lock bags. We bought a bunch of pizza pans at the Dollar Store, specifically for this purpose)

sloppy joes

chicken and noodles

lasagna

chili

sausage/egg biscuits

pancakes

waffles

french toast

#17 ·
I don't do OAMC, but I have looked into it.

I DO pretty much cook AT LEAST a double batch of most anything and then put the extra in the fridge or freezer for later use. That way I always have quick and easy home cooked food when I don't have the time or aren't in the mood to cook. It is very little extra work, but the rewards are priceless!

#18 ·
Doing OAMC has always been a goal or mini goal at least, but have never gotten fully into the swing of it - have done it here or there, but never with the zest and enthusiasm and planning that I think it requires.

Perhaps it would be helpful if some would post some of their recipes or processes that they use. Freezer size is also a consideration.

Glad that you brought this us jas, I'm going to see how I can adjust his to our lives - even if it's for a two week period.

#19 ·
I would love to do OAMC, but would need to do smaller batches for just DH and me. Freezer space is a concern here, too! I know tater tot casserole will freeze well unbaked and so will tuna noodle casserole if you undercook the noodles. My grandmother freezes entire bags of spaghetti, including the noodles, and I assume she undercooks hers, too, because it always defrosts well.

Here is one resource I have read through a lot that may give some ideas:

Make Ahead Recipes - OAMC - Recipes to Make Ahead of Time - Once a Month Cooking - Freeze Crockpot Leftovers

I have a way that I cook chicken with salsa, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder that might freeze well, and it's very versatile -- I've used it on top of salads, in quesadillas, enchiladas, open faced tacos, would probably also be good on baked potatoes, so maybe I could give that a try.

ETA: sunshine, how long do you "par-bake" the pizza crusts? I would really like to try this! I have also heard you can freeze pizza dough in bags and thaw when needed. Anyone know anything about this?

#20 ·
I do all kinds of stuff.. just depends on the mood.
>frozen pbj rounds (store them each in a sandwich bag and then in an ice buckey)
>frozen single serving deserts
>jello cups (24 at a time these go in fridge)
>pulled pork and divide in bags and put all in one big bag (freeze)
>sloppy joe (freeeze)
>turkey stuffing in smaller bags and then in a big bag to pull out and put on plate (freezer)
>Ham > re-portion and freeze
>personal pizzas - pitas all made like pizza and frozen separately and then when frozen layered with a piece of wax paper in between in a ice cream bucket
> potatoe skins- bake potatoes- scoop out and cut skins in half-lay on sheet pan and freeze- when frozen-I rebag about 24 in each and put inside an icecream tub
these are just some of the things i do..
I am going to look into the seal a meals and saw somewhere you can boil in the bag. that would be a quick for spagetti and homemade spagettios..

#22 ·
We are slowly cleaning out the freezer and I am going to start planning for cooking for more than one meal - son't think I'll get to the real OAMC yet, but I want to build up to it!! Will let you know what I decide to make and how it goes!!

#23 ·
About 12 yrs ago, I took a short course offered by the local community about 'cooking once a month', I bought that receipe book from & by that instructor. Very interesting, I tried out that OAMC, a lot of menu planning, then prepare a shopping list, then use a good part of a day to do shopping, & the next day to cook from scratch (chopping, dicing, etc). The freezer needed to be cleaned out or at least 90% of it. Need containers/bags for freezer.
The most important part is how to cool down the cooked food quick enough & freeze immediately to minimize chance of spoilt/contaminated food.
I had trouble with the last part, my kitchen counter top & fridge space was all used up, the fridge temp was higher because of all the 'just cooked' food. Lots of pots & pans to clean, labeling containers & such. I did that OAMC one time, couldn't bring myself to do it again. I remembered I was so tired & so sick of looking at the food I cooked, that we went out to eat.
But I like the receipes in that cookbook, because it mentioned where to stop & freeze, then defrost & finish cooking & adding some final touches before serving.
I do a lot of 'triple the portion & freeze 2 portions' kind of cooking.

#24 ·
Reactions: mama2James
#31 ·
Just bookmarked this site! I can't thank you enough for posting it, it looks amazing and I think it will save my life since I am going back to work after my maternity leave next week. I work 12 hr shifts and don't get home until almost 8 pm, so my husband will really appreciate having meals that he just has to pop in the oven!

#26 ·
Oh how I have missed doing OAMC !!!

My fridge comes soon (May 7) and I am already looking forward to being able to do it again.

RecipeZaar has a lot of inspirations

#27 ·
I tend to buy lots of a product, and make meals from it OAMC style. Last time i started with chicken and made
chicken soup
Buffalo Chicken Dip
pasta/chicken/broccoli/cheese sauce chicken meal
hunter stew

It works similarly with beef...
When I try to do too much at a time I get discouraged, but 2-3 hours doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice for meals when I need them.

#29 ·
And that's the beauty of it! I loved to pull out my hm healthy muffins from the freezer for breakfast and my Italian low fat soup for lunch. Yep, it was a lot of work but it really paid off. :)

I need to start slowly back into it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.