freezing potatoes
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default freezing potatoes

We tried blanching and then freezing potatoes, but when cooked they were texturally different. The goal is to chop a bunch up (with peppers and onions), bag 'em up and freeze for later use with potatoes o'brien or frettas.

Any way we can do this or do potatoes just not freeze well?

Hmmm... starting to wonder if we should let them set at 60 C or so for awhile before freezing like you do with malt before drawing the wort to start breaking up some of the starches.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We store potatoes fresh and I pressure can them. I used canned potatoes for stews and pan frying.

Home Preservation
    Potatoes do not freeze, dry or can with good results. For long term storage of late fall crops, store at temperatures of 45 to 50°F. After harvesting, place in the sun for two to three hours to dry, brush off the soil, do not wash until ready to use. If storage temperatures are too high, potatoes tend to soften and sprout. Store in a dark place to prevent greening and layer between sheets of newspaper so if one spoils it will not spread to the whole lot.
    UNQUOTE

From this page I found online......
    Potato - Watch Your Garden Grow - University of Illinois Extension

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I tried to freeze small red potatoes as part of a lunch entree, and they came out inedible. Wonder how they process them commercially (ie potatoes o'brien).

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

mek - we only freeze potatoes b/c we bought a bag for $2 vs buying 3 taters for $2. We generally only use them for mashed so we have no issues with the texture. What if you were to dice one potato and flash freeze on a tray in freezer then move them to a ziploc freezer bag and store for a wk? Then take em out and try them? I think flash freezing may be the key?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    mek - we only freeze potatoes b/c we bought a bag for $2 vs buying 3 taters for $2. We generally only use them for mashed so we have no issues with the texture. What if you were to dice one potato and flash freeze on a tray in freezer then move them to a ziploc freezer bag and store for a wk? Then take em out and try them? I think flash freezing may be the key?
    Flash freezing ... does this give me an excuse to go to the welding supply store and buy some (liquid) nitrogen? (I don't really know what flash freezing is in context.)

Mmmmm.... back in college at Chem / Physics annual picnic we'd have liquid nitrogen ice cream - start with a little frozen yogurt pre-mix in a styrofoam cup, add in some nitrogen, stir and you some thing even better than dippin' dots.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sorry - flash freezing: (chop up item to be frozen) lay them in a single layer on a tray that can go into the freezer. Let sit in the freezer for 2 hours give or take - until item is frozen then loosen from tray and store in an airtight freezer bag until ready to use.

Just like buying a bag of frozen corn. Most kernels are flash frozen the same way so its not one solid mass in a bag; kernels will flow loosely when poured. KWIM?

Flash freezing works for a lot of things you want to freeze but don't want them frozen together in one clump: ie meatballs, hm hamburger patties, steaks - if you cut them yourself etc.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I freeze mashed potatoes all the time. I only purchase potatoes when they are buy one bag, get one free, and this is how I prepare them for the freezer.

How to:

5# potatoes (peel if you'd like, or scrub clean if leaving the peel on)

Cook potatoes as usual and drain; mash.

Add:
    6 oz. cream cheese
    1 c. sour cream
    1/4 c. butter

Mix well. You can now put the mashed potatoes in plastic containers in user-friendly amounts. Once frozen, pop out of the containers, stack, and vacuum-seal in a FoodSaver bag. I generally dollop them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper using an ice cream scoop. Quick-freeze the dollops, then place them into a FoodSaver bag and vacuum shut. Now I can take out mashed potatoes in amounts needed.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

You can also use dry ice to flash freeze items. The colder temperature makes the water in the food freeze in little crystals instead of the larger crystals that form from a slow freezing method. It works well if you have a cooler with dry ice in the bottom, a rack or tray with the food above it... and leave it cracked to vent the gas so the lid doesn't fly off.

Alton Brown demonstrated this method in one of his episodes but I can't remember which one.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I can mine as well, but thanks to everyones suggestions I may try freezing them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mek42 View Post
    Flash freezing ... does this give me an excuse to go to the welding supply store and buy some (liquid) nitrogen?
    I am so going to make sure my husband doesn't read this thread and get any wild ideas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libby View Post
    Sorry - flash freezing: (chop up item to be frozen) lay them in a single layer on a tray that can go into the freezer. Let sit in the freezer for 2 hours give or take - until item is frozen then loosen from tray and store in an airtight freezer bag until ready to use.

Just like buying a bag of frozen corn. Most kernels are flash frozen the same way so its not one solid mass in a bag; kernels will flow loosely when poured. KWIM?

Flash freezing works for a lot of things you want to freeze but don't want them frozen together in one clump: ie meatballs, hm hamburger patties, steaks - if you cut them yourself etc.
    I think this would work well for freezing the potatoes, peppers and onions mixture.....and yummy, I can just smell that frying with some bacon or sausage for breakfast!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grainlady View Post
    I freeze mashed potatoes all the time. I only purchase potatoes when they are buy one bag, get one free, and this is how I prepare them for the freezer.

How to:

5# potatoes (peel if you'd like, or scrub clean if leaving the peel on)

Cook potatoes as usual and drain; mash.

Add:
    6 oz. cream cheese
    1 c. sour cream
    1/4 c. butter

Mix well. You can now put the mashed potatoes in plastic containers in user-friendly amounts. Once frozen, pop out of the containers, stack, and vacuum-seal in a FoodSaver bag. I generally dollop them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper using an ice cream scoop. Quick-freeze the dollops, then place them into a FoodSaver bag and vacuum shut. Now I can take out mashed potatoes in amounts needed.

This sounds like a very good method - how do you cook them once frozen? Do you add any milk or cream when you're heating them up? Stove top? Oven?