canning tip

Thread: canning tip

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default canning tip

you don't always have to pressure cook to can I've always water bath canned everything all you have to do is double the time it calls for pressure canning and keep the water at a good boil all the time and be sure to keep the water level over the lids I've canned deer meet that kept for over 5 years and never had a bad jar and green beans longer my mother was very good at it and Im glad she taught me too

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks marlas1too, you know I had a feeling canned goods lasted far longer then the 1 year rotation I keep reading. I know my Grandmother had canned food she fed us that was over a year and none of us ever got sick.

I once heard that they tested some canned foods that were from the start of this country and found them to be sound, but lacking some nutrition. I don't know how they canned way back then, didn't even know the could that far back.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks.......I don't have a pressure canner and not real excited about paying the price for one.

this is good to know........

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pollypurebred39 View Post
    Thanks marlas1too, you know I had a feeling canned goods lasted far longer then the 1 year rotation I keep reading. I know my Grandmother had canned food she fed us that was over a year and none of us ever got sick.

I once heard that they tested some canned foods that were from the start of this country and found them to be sound, but lacking some nutrition. I don't know how they canned way back then, didn't even know the could that far back.
    Oh yes, they definitely do last longer than a year. Although my hubby does tell me funny stories about how his great grandmother would make him eat the soggy pickles she canned 20 years ago instead of the newer, crunchy ones she recently canned. I think I'd want the newer pickles too!

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LB, now that's funny! Pickles never lasted that long at my Grandmothers. She had a whole gang of us. She had 9 kids, and all of their kids, and then some of them even had kids, in her house eating those bread and butter pickles (only kind she canned as far as I can remember)

My Sister just reminded me the other day how my Grandmother used to purchase an entire farm truck full of corn. They'd dump it over the fence and the ENTIRE family would spend the day shucking and canning the corn, sometime times the next day too.

That night we'd all have a corn only supper break and eat corn on the cob till we were about to burst. I also remember not riding my bike past my Grandmother's house on Summer days when I just wanted to play, because I knew I'd get called to the porch to snap beans. What a horrid child I was, shame on me! Of course they were many days I spent every Summer helping my Grandmother. I used to love when she sent us girls to pick apples from the apple tree, or pick mulberries for jam, that was fun. But snapping beans on the front porch and watching my friends ride by on their bikes was not so much fun. LOL! It was always a risk riding by Grandmoms, there was always work to be done, but the rewards, oh the rewards of helping always made me cave. Fresh apple pies, just cooked apple sauce, sweet tea and jelly bread, oh my YUMMM!!!!