great canning site
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default great canning site

go to youtube and type in canning boneless chicken breasts---i'm going to be canning that soon and some other ones on youtube soon too like Ive said before if you are using a water bath just double the time you would use for a pressure cooker-I've done deer meat that way and have stored them up in the basement for over 5 yrs and never a bad jar --

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Speaking as a trained home canning teacher (through Kansas State University), a boiling water method for canning meat (or any low-acid food) is completely unsafe no matter how much time you use.

Canning rule #1 - Only use up-to-date scientifically tested recipes and tested methods.

Such as the National Center for Home Food Preservation:
    National Center for Home Food Preservation | USDA Publications

Don't feed home canned foods using unsafe and untested recipes to children, elderly, or anyone with a compromised immune system. They are more likely to die from tainted food than a healthy person. The bacteria we concern ourselves with today in home-canning is more deadly and stronger than even 20-years ago, so it's more important than ever to be careful when home-canning.

It's best to use home-canned food within one year of canning. Once canned, there is significant loss of nutrients to begin with, and as much as 5-20 percent each year thereafter (depending on storage conditions, temperature, and exposure to light). If you count the nutrient loss from high-pressure canning to begin with, plus many years in storage, your food will be nothing more than empty calories. It takes nutrients to feed our bodies, not empty calories.

I'd suggest freeze-dried meat/poultry for SAFE long-term storage. Super Supply of Freeze Dried Meat (12 cans)

I'd also suggest a stockpile of vital wheat gluten (I stock it in #10 cans), or wheat (I have hundreds of pounds in storage) that can be milled into flour to extract gluten from, as an alternative protein substitute with which to make "fake" meat, rather than to use unsafe canning techniques for meat.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

then if you would please ask to have this removed please and im sorry if i upset you

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Marla,

I don't think you have upset anyone.

You thought you were passing on a great canning idea. The idea of canning meat IS wonderful... only the method was incorrect.

Grainlady is our resident Canning Guru. (I'm secretly in awe of her )