help with pressure canner
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default help with pressure canner

I need help with my pressure canner, it is a weighted guage.

I canned potatoes when I first got it and had to throw them all out.

For the life of me I cannot find the sweet spot on my electric stove, I have to adjust the temp up and down on the heat, then all the fluid comes out of the jars. This canner is nothing like my old one.

I also need to can everything at 15 pounds. I really dont want to buy a dial guage canner, I have nowhere to have it checked every year.

I googled and went thru utube and couldnt find anyhting that helped.

Any help is gladly accepted!
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi

I just googled canning pototoes.
    This is a very good site to use. Gives you step
    by step with pictures.
    How to Make Your Own Home Canned Potatoes (complete directions with photos)

Why are you using 15 pounds ?
    Your Elevation is ?
    I use 10 pounds but my canner usually settles at 11.
    Probably due to my elevation. I use a old Presto canner with a dial guage.

A couple of things I do different.
    I put the pototoes in cubes in the jar raw. I tried
    pre-cooking them and the end product was mush.
    I also don't vent for 10 minutes. I vent for 5.

When I did use a electric stove yeara ago, I know you have to adjust the temperature lower before you want it lower and if you get the burner too hot, then it takes awhile for the burner to adjust. It is why I love propane. Are all your burners the same size ?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My ball blue book says with altitude above 1000 ft. to use 15 puunds on the weighted guage. the site above also says to use 15 lbs above 1000 ft. Is there a big difference between the weighted and dial guage? I'm around 6000ft.

I have 2 large and 2 small burners, a regular electric stove.

I have called the manufacturing co, and also an extension office and all they pretty much told me is, all stoves are different.

I can't find the temp to turn it down to, after it vents, its either to low or too high, so I turn it back up or down, which then pushes the food out of the jars.
    I found someting yesterday that said they turn theirs down to 4.5 or 5. I either have no jiggler or its going crazy and ready to fly off.

I have thought about canning some beans,( pinto ) if it doesnt work i'm not using expensive food to do trials on. I never had any trouble with my old canner, but it was old and the lid warped so its useless.

Maybe I should invest in propane? That way I could can outside?

I really need to figure this out, I wanted to can carrots and chicken breasts this week.

Thanks for the help.
    Pine trees, with their needles pointing up to heaven, represent everlasting light and life.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you read to the bottom of that page, I just gave you, there is a wealth of information. I believe you are correct on the 15 pounds with your elevation. For my elevation, I need to use 10-11 pounds.
    You can , can water in jars for a test.
    I would try using the smaller burner.
    I would love a canning kitchen separate from my house

I don't deal well with just a weight on the canner. I need a dial
    guage and the petcock on the back vent. I am old school.

I just looked at that page again, and see there is 2 charts for the
    canner pressure. One is for dial guages, and one is for canners with weights.
    Last edited by ladytoysdream; 02-29-2012 at 05:57 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Okay, I just found this info.
    When timed processing is completed, turn off the heat, remove canner from heat (if electric range), and let the canner "depressurize" at room temperature. (dial needle moves back to "0" or no steam sounds when weight is gently nudged). Do not force-cool the canner. Releasing pressure from a partially opened vent or placing the canner under cool water will result in under-processing. It may also cause unsealed jars and loss of liquid from the jars. Quick-cooling can also warp the canner lid of older model canners.
    From this website....
    Pressure Canners Guide - How to use a Pressure Canner

With a propane stove, all I do is shut off that burner, leave it on the same burner, and let it cool on it's own. When the pressure guage drops to zero, I start to open the lid a half way turn, but do not remove it. Let it cool some more, maybe a hour, then take off the lid. If I think the jars are cool enough, I then can remove them. If not, I let them sit longer in the canner.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi!

The website you sent me above, under 'sucessful steam pressure cooking', I am having the trouble with #5. I have to keep turning the temp up and down to keep the right amount of pressure. Either my jiggler is not moving or is going full blast.

I think I will try canning water, Thanks for that idea, that way maybe I can find the spot on the stove I need to turn it down to. I didnt think about using water, that way I only waste a couple lids. Which I have a huge stockpile of. Thanks!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    Hi!
    The website you sent me above, under 'sucessful steam pressure cooking', I am having the trouble with #5. I have to keep turning the temp up and down to keep the right amount of pressure. Either my jiggler is not moving or is going full blast.
    I think I will try canning water, Thanks for that idea, that way maybe I can find the spot on the stove I need to turn it down to. I didnt think about using water, that way I only waste a couple lids. Which I have a huge stockpile of. Thanks!
    Like you said, you are going to have to play with it.

Can you can with 10 pounds of pressure as a experiment ?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Why not figure out your settings with the canner empty of food? Put in the water like usual, kick it on, and then figure out the sweet spot.

It's fine if it jiggles a lot, it's not fine if it never jiggles, so just play around until you determine how far down you have to turn it to get the jiggle a few times a minute.