Modern FoodSaver Appliances and Value For Money
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Modern FoodSaver Appliances and Value For Money

Hello All,

This is my first post on the forum, apologies if its a stupid question. I am considering purchasing a FoodSaver to help reduce the amount of food wastage in my home. I was wondering if the modern FoodSaver was worth the expense and users are still finding value for money.

A common complaint I read was that the plastic was very expensive although I could see how the food cost savings might justify it. Have done my numbers and am happy but was wondering your thoughts.

Any advice on value for money and suggested models would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome!

I have an older model. I don't use it a lot but would probably replace it if it quit.

I wash and reuse the bags if possible, if they have not been used for raw meat.

FoodSaver is a brand name, and that's what I have. I would probably buy the same brand again.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Welcome!

I'm on my second one and when it dies (it's having a few issues) I will buy another one.

Like SD I wash out my bags and even put them in the dishwasher turned inside out.

I buy replacement rolls on Amazon (not name brand) and cut to the size I need. The Walmart brand is ok but I can't reuse them like I can the Foodsaver and the ones I buy on Amazon.

I've pulled meat out of the freezer that was 5 years old and it was as good as the day I bought it. I do a lot of bulk buying when I find stuff on sale/use today or freeze. Being able to to store/freeze it with the foodsaver has saved me lots of $. I've made my own hamburger helper kits, bread kits, seasoning packets, Store four/sugar from bugs, for camping and such I've made fire starter kits to take with me and sealed them in the foodsaver bags to keep them dry.

For seasoning packets I use the 8" roll and cut to the size I need say 3" long, and then along the 8" width I cut it into two 4" wide strips, seal the 3" edge. If you accidentally seal the wrong edge the Foodsaver will not seal it when it sucks the air out. I learned that the hard way.

I don't care for the upright models as they waste too much of the plastic bag. I like the models that you "lift the lid" (similar to the FM2000, I am not recommending that model just using it to give you an idea of the style I prefer). I've learned how to work them over the years to use less plastic when you are sealing the first edge.

Also, If you can or have canning jars You can buy an attachment to fit the jars. I have the large mouth attachment and use it regularly. I store noodles, dehydrated veggies and such in half gallon jars. I pull the flat lid, take out what I want and reseal the jar. This is only for dry goods and is not the same as canning.

Hope that helps.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can use a FoodSaver to seal (not vacuum seal) some types of bags like Doritos. The waxy bags from cereal or snack crackers usually work well and would be great for making seasoning packets. It's trial and error. Not all bags will seal.

I haven't tried soft plastic bags. I think they would melt too much and might ruin the machine.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Another Question are there a lot of different in how good the higher price one works then the lower price one works? I assume the higher price would last longer (not always true) but what i am wondering if it sealed better now.Thanks for any information you might share.