Frugal Village Forums banner

Corona Can Along with me!

4K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  Contrary Housewife 
#1 ·
Well hello friends, its been awhile! I am here for an undetermined amount of time before life gets too busy for me to be on this forum!

I figured we can have a Corona can along. List what you've canned as you can it! Let's stock up our shelves with yummy food for probably a second hunkering down!

My garden is going bonkers this year, I told it not to let me down because food security was at a whole new level important to me this year. It listened and is delivering!

So far this year i've canned:

5 quarts, 1 pint of chicken stock
12 pints of strawberry lemonade concentrate
7 pints of cherry limeade concentrate
6 pints of mock pineapple
2 pints of coleslaw

I got cabbage coming in heavy- and beans are just starting. So kraut, coleslaw and beans are in my future!

What are you canning today? :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey there! Welcome back.

I canned 7 pints of kraut, which might last us about a yr.

I also made 2 qts of dill pickles. I can't get canning cukes easily, and growing things ourselves is a struggle, so my new strategy now is to make small batches using my very old open crock recipe and just store them in the fridge. That way, I can use mini cukes or English cukes from the store.

I won't be processing much more for a while, but this looks like it might be an interesting thread.

#4 ·
I'm not planning to can anything this year. Garden is not producing enough extra and I don't feel safe going to the farmer's market now they are letting people wander around freely again. I still have lots of tomatoes, pickles, relish and jam.

However, we are about out of cookies. I would like to make several batches while flour and sugar are cheap and plentiful. They keep well in our 2nd fridge.

Reactions: marthamfi
#6 ·
I dehydrated a lot of stuff for next winter. We're expecting covid to get worse and then there's regular flu, so the more we can stay out of town, the better. I bought frozen mixed veggies and dried 5 or 10 pounds of those, celery, potato slices, hash browns. I can't recall now what all I dried. I will do more before winter.

I also stocked a variety of seeds for sprouting, so we can have more fresh veggies, and still have AeroGardens to grow other veggies in winter.

#7 ·
I agree with you, SD. To play it safe, I have already ordered all my seeds for next spring's garden, because I can see there being a run on them in February and March. People went crazy this year and bought out the nurseries and seed stores almost overnight! They may be unavailable or ridiculously expensive by next year, and I always start my own from seed anyway. I leaned heavily toward heirloom seeds, as well, as I had a lot of luck this year starting from last year's crops. I am picking up a frozen turkey this week, to store for use during the holidays, if we are allowed to get together with family by then.

#8 ·
Waving...Waving...Glad to see you sweetheart!

I have been on a canning spree almost all meat...ranch beans, sweet and hot sausage, loose breakfast sausage, bacon, pork cubes, meatloaf..I have lots of other canned meat much of it on a round it kinda of way ..meaning I have a good variety.. I still have lots of pie filling and jams..I want to can up more salsa, ranch beans and hummus.

#11 ·
I’m a rebel canner...the kneadyhomesteader and suttondazes is where the I learned it..I really dislike beans but the ranch beans are like eating cool ranch Doritos..lol..love them! I hadn’t tried the hummus yet as I don’t eat that but my son and hubby do..HTH..

#10 ·
Lots of stuff was sold out here too, plus winter just wouldn't give up, so everything was so late at the nursery. We did get a variety of tomatoes and a few other things, but not like usual. I'm sticking with heirloom varieties, too, and slowly figuring out what works for us.

We had set up our little indoor greenhouse in February to start some plants, but then got distracted and didn't start anything. Have to do better next yr.

#13 ·
That was a fun video. Thanks! She sounds just like my local Tupperware lady, minus the Iron Range accent. I cringed when she added all that salt, but otherwise it looked very good. I thought the seasonings were canned with the beans. It's better to have the plain beans though. More versatile.

#14 ·
Around here "ranch beans" are pintos cooked with tomato, onion and peppers and sometimes meat like ham or leftover bbq. They are not sweet like Boston baked beans or bbq beans.

#15 ·
Hi Brenda!! Hugssss!

Last night after work I canned up another 6 pints of coleslaw.
I also made a 2-loafer of zucchini bread. I'm sure it's almost gone by now.

Post anything you put up! It may give others ideas!

I also grabbed some pasta, and cream of mushroom/chicken soup. Just to have in the extended pantry. Although I like to not use those cream of- it may come in handy if dairy is limited.

I ordered containers that can put up to the freezer to start scrambling my chicken eggs for winter as well.

Reactions: brenda67
#16 ·
Ranch beans sound real good! I will have to watch the video! I am growing a big patch of pintos this year.

Hummus- are you canning it blended? Do you have the recipe Brenda?

Reactions: brenda67
#20 ·
I have enough tomatoes dried now to make up some jars of sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, but the store was out of basil, and my little plant isn't big enough yet to harvest enough. :( May have to try it with just oil and garlic this time around.

#24 ·
I've put up:

3 quarts of Dill pickles
6 quarts of green beans

I have another canner load of green beans waiting to be done, and have a million zukes to make zucchini fritters with this weekend.

Reactions: marthamfi
#26 ·
I have 6 qts of bread and butter pickles in the fridge and 8 qts of dills there. 5 qts of tomatoes, 2 pts of tomatoes, 12 pts of peach salsa all in the canning done. I was given a bunch of seed last fall and my dd planted for me. less than half came up. she did pick up some watermelon plants and honeydew and cantalope plants too. we harvested 13 watermelons. 3 honeydews and so far 1 cantalope. these we are just eating fresh. green beans are just enough for fresh eating. I had wanted to can some, but dd was the one putting in the garden and I wasn't here to help or tell her how much, so she didn't know to plant more than she did. All good though, I figure anything we get out of the garden, even if it is fresh eating only, is good. zucchini plants are already dead and we have eaten all that we have gotten from them. We still have cukes coming out of our ears, plants are dying off so that will finish soon.

#29 ·
was able to get 4 qts of peaches canned. this finishes off the peaches from my trees. We ate many of them fresh and in smoothies etc. will probably try to get more of my tomatoes done tomorrow. I get enough every 3 or 4 days to get 4 to 5 qts of them. It is easier to do it this way with littles around.

#30 ·
In the past month I've canned:
4 quarts Spaghetti sauce w/ hm meatballs
4 pints beef
I have 2 small baskets of peaches that should be ripe enough tomorrow to can.

my friend gave me 3 laundry baskets of pears. I've canned 5-6 dozen pints of
sliced Pears with cinnamon
fried pears
pear sauce
pear butter
fruit cocktail
Tropical pear jam (12 half pints and 4 pints)

Dry canned:
6 half gallons of powdered milk
15 half gallons instant mashed potatoes
10 half gallons of flour

bought:
20 pounds sugar
10 pounds pasta
6 #10 cans of tomato sauce (seasoned perfectly for spaghetti sauce or lasagna straight out of the can)

Canned earlier this summer:
over 30 quarts of green beans from the garden
4 half gallons of chili
24 pints of tomato soup from the garden
8 quarts of tomato juice from the garden
4 half gallons hn cream of mushroom soup with beef chunks - I foraged the mushrooms
8 pint & a half jars of white pasta sauce with foraged mushrooms and artichoke hearts
12 pints cream of mushroom soup - foraged mushrooms
4 pints blueberry-wonderberry jam
12 1/2 pints foraged mushrooms

Dehydrated:
2 pints tomato peels/seeds powder from the garden
1.5 pints Vegetable soup "droppings" powdered
over a quart of lima beans from the garden
1/2 pint of cayenne pepper powder from the garden

Froze:
over 30 cups diced banana peppers from the garden
over 20 cups diced green peppers from the garden
over 10 cups diced jalapenos from the garden
over 3 gallons foraged blackberries
over 5 cups sauteed foraged mushrooms
10 cups diced onions from the garden
15 dozen ears of corn blanched, cut off the cob and froze
30# ground beef

This is only what I can remember.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.