Corona Can Along with me!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Corona Can Along with me!

Well hello friends, its been awhile! I am here for an undetermined amount of time before life gets too busy for me to be on this forum!

I figured we can have a Corona can along. List what you've canned as you can it! Let's stock up our shelves with yummy food for probably a second hunkering down!

My garden is going bonkers this year, I told it not to let me down because food security was at a whole new level important to me this year. It listened and is delivering!

So far this year i've canned:

5 quarts, 1 pint of chicken stock
    12 pints of strawberry lemonade concentrate
    7 pints of cherry limeade concentrate
    6 pints of mock pineapple
    2 pints of coleslaw

I got cabbage coming in heavy- and beans are just starting. So kraut, coleslaw and beans are in my future!

What are you canning today?
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hey there! Welcome back.

I canned 7 pints of kraut, which might last us about a yr.

I also made 2 qts of dill pickles. I can't get canning cukes easily, and growing things ourselves is a struggle, so my new strategy now is to make small batches using my very old open crock recipe and just store them in the fridge. That way, I can use mini cukes or English cukes from the store.

I won't be processing much more for a while, but this looks like it might be an interesting thread.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No canning, but I am on my third batch of sun-drying tomatoes. When this batch is done, I will likely jar them up with some garlic and olive oil and use them/give them to friends over the winter.
    DH aka Mad Hen
    (http://mad-hen-creations.blogspot.com/)

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm not planning to can anything this year. Garden is not producing enough extra and I don't feel safe going to the farmer's market now they are letting people wander around freely again. I still have lots of tomatoes, pickles, relish and jam.

However, we are about out of cookies. I would like to make several batches while flour and sugar are cheap and plentiful. They keep well in our 2nd fridge.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am not canning anything have put 5 bags carrots in freezer to go in soup and stew,2 bags squash got 2 bags onions to chop up put in freezer tomorrow.
    Goals for 2020
    1-No spend day
    2- No eating out days
    3-getting rid clutter
    4-menu
    5-stockpiling
    6-Grocery budget

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dehydrated a lot of stuff for next winter. We're expecting covid to get worse and then there's regular flu, so the more we can stay out of town, the better. I bought frozen mixed veggies and dried 5 or 10 pounds of those, celery, potato slices, hash browns. I can't recall now what all I dried. I will do more before winter.

I also stocked a variety of seeds for sprouting, so we can have more fresh veggies, and still have AeroGardens to grow other veggies in winter.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I agree with you, SD. To play it safe, I have already ordered all my seeds for next spring's garden, because I can see there being a run on them in February and March. People went crazy this year and bought out the nurseries and seed stores almost overnight! They may be unavailable or ridiculously expensive by next year, and I always start my own from seed anyway. I leaned heavily toward heirloom seeds, as well, as I had a lot of luck this year starting from last year's crops. I am picking up a frozen turkey this week, to store for use during the holidays, if we are allowed to get together with family by then.
    DH aka Mad Hen

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want. Anna Lappe

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Waving...Waving...Glad to see you sweetheart!

I have been on a canning spree almost all meat...ranch beans, sweet and hot sausage, loose breakfast sausage, bacon, pork cubes, meatloaf..I have lots of other canned meat much of it on a round it kinda of way ..meaning I have a good variety.. I still have lots of pie filling and jams..I want to can up more salsa, ranch beans and hummus.
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I didn't know you could can hummus, but, duh, it's beans, so why not?

What are these ranch beans you speak of?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Lots of stuff was sold out here too, plus winter just wouldn't give up, so everything was so late at the nursery. We did get a variety of tomatoes and a few other things, but not like usual. I'm sticking with heirloom varieties, too, and slowly figuring out what works for us.

We had set up our little indoor greenhouse in February to start some plants, but then got distracted and didn't start anything. Have to do better next yr.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Deer View Post
    I didn't know you could can hummus, but, duh, it's beans, so why not?

What are these ranch beans you speak of?
    I’m a rebel canner...the kneadyhomesteader and suttondazes is where the I learned it..I really dislike beans but the ranch beans are like eating cool ranch Doritos..lol..love them! I hadn’t tried the hummus yet as I don’t eat that but my son and hubby do..HTH..
    Wife to Keith
    Mom of 3 boys

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I am guessing this?

DH aka Mad Hen

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That was a fun video. Thanks! She sounds just like my local Tupperware lady, minus the Iron Range accent. I cringed when she added all that salt, but otherwise it looked very good. I thought the seasonings were canned with the beans. It's better to have the plain beans though. More versatile.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Around here "ranch beans" are pintos cooked with tomato, onion and peppers and sometimes meat like ham or leftover bbq. They are not sweet like Boston baked beans or bbq beans.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Brenda!! Hugssss!

Last night after work I canned up another 6 pints of coleslaw.
    I also made a 2-loafer of zucchini bread. I'm sure it's almost gone by now.

Post anything you put up! It may give others ideas!

I also grabbed some pasta, and cream of mushroom/chicken soup. Just to have in the extended pantry. Although I like to not use those cream of- it may come in handy if dairy is limited.

I ordered containers that can put up to the freezer to start scrambling my chicken eggs for winter as well.
    Step 2
    Will update this when I have time

Food grown for my family so far: 37lbs 1 oz!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast