margery - HELP

Thread: margery - HELP

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default margery - HELP

or anyone else who knows about slow cookers. I've got a recipe book with lots of recipes for wet dishes. Can I dry roast say pork or chicken in my slow cooker. If so, how?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Can't really dry roast cook. Because you slow cook with the lid on, the meats give up bunches of juices on their own or the veggies I put in there do, so they still braise.

I've done beef roasts. I just sprinkle on a packet of brown gravy mix & turn it on & walk away, lol. I never add water when I do this or corned beef, lol.
    I don't think I'd do the chicken though, I myself like a crispy chicken.
    Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Darlene, yep, it helps a lot. DH and DS won't be having a roast tonight. They'll be having vegetable soup like I originally planned. lol

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm sorry Bethany, I just came online, for a quickie check.

Slow cookers tend to pot roast stuff, and they make LOTs of juice, which you either pour off and save as soup broth or soup starter, or thicken for a gravy. Or use a little for gravy and freeze the rest for a later soup (even use it to thin out a canned soup and take it up a notch in flavour)

Now something that you CAN do is, you can brown a roast all over in hot oil in a pan, then put it in the crock to get a nice brownness. That will give it even more flavour in the crockpot but it depends on how much time you have.

I never add liquid to my crockpot.

I view it as pot roasting, it will take the toughest roasts and turn them into tender pot roasts but it won't be a substitute for oven roasts.

Chicken pot pies
    Another thing is that you can do the chicken parts till tender in the thing, (about 4 hours or so on high, 6 on Low) along with the veggies, then debone the chicken (spotlessly clean rubber gloves help with hot chicken), dump into a long low pan like a rectangle cake pan with the veggies and other solids

thicken SOME OF the juices with a bit of flour and pour a bit on, then top with biscuits and then bake in a med to hot oven, about 375 till the biscuit topping is done when a toothpick comes out. Should be golden and crispy.

That makes a nice chicken pot pie or you can top with pastry.

Think Soups, Stews and Pot Roasts, oh and beans for the most part. I'm going to revive a crockpot thread here and put some stuff in it for you later in the week.

dh is home today and wants me OFF the computer for the weekend. For some strange reason he prefers my face to the back of my head bent into the computer screen.

Who Knew?

Hope that helps and give me a poke if I forget!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ok I updated the crockpot thread with some tips and recipes, more to follow.

I'm hoping other crock pot people will add the tried and true stuff they've done too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks Margery. I'm working at our shop at the moment so I'll check this out in more detail when I get home.
    Hugs