Pressure canner?
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Arrow Pressure canner?

I am ISO of a pressure canner. Should I get as big as I can afford? *L*
    Any suggestions on brands or qt sizes?
    I think the majority of items I plan to can I wouldn't need the pressure canner, but I am planning on broadening my horizons a bit too.
    I was checking on ebay. I am a bit skeptical on some of the used older ones. Are they easy to have repaired? (ex: seals or guages?)

TIA,
    Sara

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I think I have mentioned this before. Mine was my moms and it is probably as old as I am. It is even "harvest yellow". Before I used it I went to the hardware store and ordered a new seal and gauge. The seal just slipped in the the gauge screwed in. The hardware store had a book and I just looked at the bottom of the canner for the model number. It was really easy and I have had a lot of luck with it.

Christy

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Pressure canning.
    I pressure can some of the stuff in the garden, but I also have a canner just for cooking faster meals. I wouldn't buy a old one cause parts are hard to get for some of them. I had a old one given to me with the rubber missing & could not find a rubber anywhere to fix it, even though I had the part number for the rubber. I just use it as a regular pot.
    As for the size , it depends on how much your going to can & if your going to put a lot up in quarts jars. I use a smaller canner for both but it would only hold pint jars. I sure hope this helps you some.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have had great luck finding replacment parts. Local hardware stores are great for that, the smaller ones in particular.

I would get the biggest one you can find. Since canning is usually done in the heat of summer the more you can process at once means the less time you spend in the over-hot kitchen. I also think quality is the way to go here, it is possible that this will be a life time, or longer, investment. I have my mothers now. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have 2 of the above mentioned harvest yellow ones lol All are in great condition and work perfectly! I also got my replacement parts from a hardware store too . I have the HUGE ones. I inheirted both of them as a "housewarming" gift a few weeks ago. Family friends knew I was planning a large gardena nd donated theirs for the canning process. BTW I am lucky enough to have a 2nd kitchen in my garage for all my canning! Yea me! LOL
    ~Michele~

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am so jealous of that second kitchen!

So don't keep us in suspence--did you end up with a pressure cooker? And what kind if you did??

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Hi Ladies! I'm reading this thread because, I, too was just on Ebay looking for a pressure canner. I'll be canning for dh and myself, but also giving things as gifts. I would definitely want the canner to hold quart-size jars. I've never canned in a pressure canner, so I'm totally clueless. What brand and size would you recommend for a small family? Also, there are 2 types of pressure canners, right? Which should I get? TIA!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have another, possibly dumb, question. A 22-quart pressure canner....does this mean it holds 22 quart size jars? Don't laugh.