Frugal Village Forums banner

Dill Pickles

Tags
dill pickles
1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cthy1954 
#1 ·
I know that you have probably already had this discussion before, but I am still learning. Does anyone have a good receipe for a crisp dill pickle? Mine come our floppy, good but floppy.

#2 ·
have you tried adding alum...thats what makes the pickles crisp....no good with out it

a book i'm hoping to get : The Joy of Pickling...........s'posed to have a lot of recipes for pickling different things

i'll look for my recipe, it's a basic brine

i have pickled green beans, garlic & cukes

#4 ·
:chef: If a typical recipe did not call for alum, do you know about how much to add to the brine? Thanks for the help.

#5 ·
Cathy

if i remember right a quart jar took 1/8 tsp...
it was a small amt any way, you add it to each jar filled with hot brine, not to the whole pot of brine.
still have to find the recipe for brine i used & i'll post it if you want

i did order the book from the library on pickling

it is called the joy of pickling by Linda Ziedrich (1998)

yesterday we went to a grocery that has a large assortment of amish pickled veg, they are very expensive..about $5 qt !!! they even had pickled brussel sprouts! mushrooms, baby corn, cauliflower, etc.

#6 ·
Yes, please post the recipe. Lord willing, my cucumbers will do extremely well this year. I have a lot of canning books, but not a lot of dill pickle recipes.

#7 ·
Here is a bit of info from the joy of pickling:

for firming agents you can use:
lime, alum, horseradish or leaves (grape leaves)
my technique has been to
use a small amount of alum per jar, sprinkling it over the vegs & hot brine.
different from the technique in the book . she says to soak the cukes in salted water (brine) before pouring hot vinegar over. also the canning method a bit different.
How have you made your pickles??

check out this book it is very good. worth buying if you really like pickling. it has 200 recipes

sorry i haven't found my pickle recipe yet. I reorganized recipes a while ago & hid it from myself!

#8 ·
Due to a lack of space, I have used a recipe that calls for placing cukes in a jar, placing dill, a clove of garlic and hot pepper, adding a solution of boiling vinegar and water. Sealing in a hotwater bath. The taste is quite good, but not what I am after. I am a pickleholic, and I love pickle season.
I am going to try to find the book. Thank-you

#10 ·
I just found the Joy of Pickling book at our library. I looked on line on their site and found 6 copies at various libraries in the county. Dh is picking it up for me today! Thanks for the suggestion, we just bought a house with a huge yard last summer, and are planning our first garden thes year...with lost of little cucumbers for my pickle fanatics!

#11 ·
As soon as I find my cookbook, I'll give you the amounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.