thinking about relocating to Astoria OR area.. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fred Meyers is like a Super Walmart for selection but more expensive. Loss leaders only. Do you have a Meijers in Kansas? That is what I would compare it to....
    I have a friend who I only see a few times a year but when she comes into Portland she makes a point of stopping at Wincos on the way home.
    Yes, food is expensive here. And very limited double coupons. I don't know about thrift stores in Astoria but they are prevalent in Portland.
    If you don't have your heart set on Astoria you might look at other towns on the coast...Lincoln City or even further south. Other great small towns might be Hood River and The Dalles (the Dallz--say it right!) While they aren't on the coast they are on the mighty Columbia River and have some stunning views. I know that the hospital in The Dalles was very holistic and progressive in the nineties when my mom had her colon surgery there. Hood River might be considered commuting distance from some parts of Portland.
    And don't cry if you end up in Portland. It has a very small town feel. Public transport is excellent. Most of Portland is laid out in a very clear and logical manner. Thrift stores are rampant. People are friendly. While there are clearly the "rednecks" and the "hippies", the prevailing attitude is "live and let live". And be nice.
    When I moved back to Oregon (grew up here), I delighted in collecting stories about how different things are here compared to New Jersey. My favorite:
    After my first Christmas here, my brother and I went to Freddie's (aka Fred Meyers) to purchase his January bus pass. Freddie's was prepared for Christmas returns at the customer service desk by having two lines for two different registers. One for returns, one for everything else. We were standing patiently in the "everything else" line and watched quietly as the return line moved quickly until there were only two people left. Our line was clearly not moving as well. When the returns clerk called the next to the last person in line, the customer just turned and pointed to our line and said, "What about them, who is helping them?"
    It still cracks me up.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Oh, and check out Craig's List for ads.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here's a link to a search for thrift shops in Astoria:
    Find thrift stores and charity resale shops in Astoria, Oregon Page 1

IHTH!

Judi

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User wanderinggrandma's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here is a link to the bus services: Sunset Empire Transportation District

It is much, much cooler on the Northern Oregon coast than you are use to in the mid-west. It is a rainy gray spring/summer this year but if you enjoy beautiful scenery and the damp doesn't bother you, you should enjoy a short stay in Astoria.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

thanks for the feedback Zakity, I may need to re-think where to live. I really don't want to live IN Portland, have always lived in a small town (10,000 or less) and the thought of living in a big city doesn't appeal to me... however, a smaller town closer to Portland may be an option. Just depends on where the nursing agency can place me in a job.

I'm still excited to get closer to the coast...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Sounds like such an adventure! I wish you lots of luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know there is a Safeway in Astoria.

Rainer and St. Helens are small towns half way between Astoria and Portland. I know people live in Rainer and commute to Portland.

Hood River is very cute and quaint as well, and is near lots of orchards and Mount Hood. It's a windsurfing mecca. I know there is a small hospital there.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you don't have to be on the coast and you want easy access to Portland, take a look at Scappoose (pronounced like "papoose"). And, you don't want to live in Multnomah County because the taxes are crazy high.

Banks, Forest Grove, and Gaston are other areas that are nice, but they are farther away from Portland. But, there is a hospital in Hillsboro (don't know what sort of nursing that you do) and they are all close to Hillsboro/Beaverton.

Rainier has a pretty long commute into Portland. It is like a good hour or more. St Helens takes like 45 minutesish to get to Portland. Scappoose takes about 30 minutes to get to Portland (20 minutes to the industrial area). Well, that depends on how fast you drive and if there are any cops hanging out on Highway 30 (which will slows everyone down).

Also, they just put in a "safety zone" between St Helens and Scappoose. It adds about 5 minutes of travel time because you have to drive the speed limit now.

Oh yeah, Highway 30... Most people drive at least 65 (probably more like 75 or faster) and the speed limit is 55. There usually isn't any cops either. You have to watch it because everyone slows down where the cops usually hang out. Between St Helens to Portland, it is a four lane road. From St Helens to the coast, it is a two lane road and good luck on passing anyone who is going super slow.

You can take Cornelious Pass across the West Hills into Hillsboro also. So, that would open up job possibilities.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dh's from Oregon. His grandparents live on the coast- in Newport. But the property taxes are very expensive on the coast because of the view.

You should have lots of opportunities with being an RN.

I wish we could get stationed in Oregon- it's so beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful new life there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Astoria is really small. I think seaside is a little bigger. They're both really pretty but to be honest if I were moving all the way from the Midwest with kids I'd look for a more urban area and save Astoria and seaside for weekends. I've done the big moves a couple times and it would just seem to me that it would be less of a shock, you know? Anyway that's probably why youre not finding stuff in the ads, it's pretty small.

Portland is supposedly really nice and I think there is a commuter train between it and Seattle that makes the trip really nice. (I really like Seattle.)

We lived on the Kitsap peninsula and it was a nice mix of urban and rural and a short trip to a lot of beautiful stuff. just gonna throw that one in the hat since you seem to be up for anything. Anyway good luck! Sounds like you're in for an adventure

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Awww... Jobs for the kiddos... Yeah, that might be a problem. Umemployment is still pretty high. If you are looking at
    Columbia County, the rate is about double what the state average is. They would have to commute to Portland or Longview for jobs.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I'm headed for Astoria tomorrow...Sunday Street market..both my husband and I love it. I still say if you can get past the weather for 7 months of the year (grey) then you will love the other 5 months...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am getting more and more excited. I'm going through a Travel Nursing agency and wherever they can place me in a job, that will determine what area we start off at...

when I talk about my kiddos, I should mention that they are essentially adults...LOL... DD is 20 and DS is 22 (his fiance and their two babies are coming too).

where I live we have 4 seasons.... Hot, Wet, Freezing and tornados

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by fluttermuffin View Post

where I live we have 4 seasons.... Hot, Wet, Freezing and tornados
    hahahahahaha then you will love Astoria...(I had a great time there today!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There are two seasons here, rain and roadwork.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast