UGGGGHHHHH Bugs in Dry goods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default UGGGGHHHHH Bugs in Dry goods

I hope someone can help because I'm sick of throwing out food because worms and flies have infested them.

Last summer we had a problem with these moth type flies that love dry goods. They'll actually bore into plastic bags and paper packaging to get at beans, flour, corn starch, rice and then lay their eggs in them.

I've started collecting different containers with lids but don't have enough for them all so I put most of it in freezer or refrigerator. But i'm still finding bugs periodically. Now it could be that it's still a hang over from last summer.

Also have 2 antique wooden chimney cupboards that are used in teh kitchen to store cans and dry goods. Could this be the problem? Could the bugs be living in them? If so How do I but bomb them? Would taking them outside and covering them with plactic and the put the bug bomb under the plastic work?

Are just ordinary containers where the lids screw or snap on enough or do I need some sort of super seal container?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I always freeze my dry goods for several days when I bring them home. After a couple days in the freezer, I take them out and put them in the pantry. I've never had any problems with bugs. The freezing is supposed to kill off any eggs that may be present in the product. I don't think it would protect things from getting infested if the bugs were already in the pantry area though....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I usually store my goods in the freezer for about 48 hrs. Then I take them out & put them into those big plastic ice cream buckets along with a whole bay leaf.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

UGH!! I HATE THAT!!!
    Totally wasted food! Grrrrrrr!

Well.. first thing - pop any grain product into the freezer as soon as you get home. At least four hours. Kills anything that might have been brought in from the store or manufacturer.

Now.. to rid anything that might be getting into your food stuff... you have to eliminate access to the food source.

Take out the grain products. Check for bugs in it. Or remnants of such. What isn't contaminated- put in the freezer. (I personally ALWAYS leave my flours in the freezer. Sick of 'dem bugs!)

Even if you have stuff in a glass jar... they'll get into it! Check under the lids- dag nabbit!

Clean and wipe all debri

To scare them away after all that- you can use moth balls. A couple here and there.

But don't forget, they're poisonous ~ don't leave around if little ones have access.

I think there is a pest product that you can purchase at your hardware store specifically designed for the critters- if you chose not to use moth balls. (which are only temp BTW.)
    After a couple of weeks of no grain access... they'll go away, die off... or just not grow anymore.

And good luck!

hate those bugs! freaks me out!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am glad you asked this question because I had never heard of putting your dry goods in the freezer when you first bring them home to kill off any eggs in them. Thanks for the tip, ladies!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

by the way, this goes for pistachios as well. Don't ask how I know.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i'm paranoid about bugs and keep all that stuff in the freezer all the time

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

one thing i learned a long time ago is to change the bay leaves i set in my cabinets every few months.
    this keeps "pests" at bay (no pun intended)

a long time ago i had issues in an apt. i lived in with ants.
    the landlord "pretended" nothing was wrong... and I'd asked around and my mother (farm girl) said "put bay leaves in all yer cabinets, one per shelf".

*poof*
    no more ants.

dunno 'bout the worms... but ants and flies kept outta my foods!

g'luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow! Thanks for the freezer tip! I've never actually seen bugs in anything yet but I'll be putting those bay leaves out!

Registered User hippytreehugger4ever's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have a 24 cf freezer, so anything with flour or rice stays in there unless I put it into my plastic tupperware canisters. My extra cat food and bird seed even goes into the freezer!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sorry that happened to you. thank`s for the tip about the freezer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I had that happen a couple of years ago and lost a LOT of food. I'm so sorry it happend to you.

I pulled EVERYTHING out of my pantry and washed every shelf including every crack and crevice I could find with hot water and bleach. Even now when I wipe down the shelves, I use warm vinegar or a bleach mixture.

I also recommend the whole bay leaves only I put 2 or 3 on each shelf but I have long, deep shelves. I also put one in my plastic covered flour container and I've not had any more bugs.

I also freeze grains and flours for atleast a day before putting them on the shelf. If I have room in the freezer, I leave it in there until I need it.

The worst of the bugs/worms I had were in the cake mixes, oatmeal, and boxed things like Hamburger Helper, Macaroni & Cheese and instant mashed potatoes. You'll need to be very vigilant about checking any new boxes you bring in the house and DO put them in the freezer for a bit before storing them in your pantry.

I hope you don't have any more food loss.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

So you that use Bay Leaves-do you just used the tried ones or do they have to be freash? And how often do you replave them? I never heard of that! But if it works I am up fo it!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ugh, I got these (moth type bugs with webby things in the bags and eggs, eww) in everything in my pantry (everything!) a few years ago. I think I finally traced it to some dates or nuts I brought home from the health food store (they were cheaper there, but it wasn't worth it). I had to throw out so much stuff it made me feel like crying, and I never cry.

I thoroughly scrubbed out my pantry cupboards and put cedar blocks on each shelf corner. Not sure if that's what's working or if I just got rid of them, but no more for now.

I didn't know about the bay leaves!! Magaka brings up a good question---fresh ones or dried?? This would work wonders up here at the cabin, especially! Bugs and critters and moths--Oh MY!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Wow, how does this happen. Are items that you have stored for a long time getting infested or can this happen to recently bought items???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast