Gnats are taking over my house
    Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Gnats are taking over my house

These little demons are jumping on my computor screen, landing on my counter with my beautiful lamp on, trying to steal my pop!

How do you get rid of these small little crazy creatures? Our window screens seem to be sealed. Usually I never see them until the veggie season rolls in our house. Ya know with all the good fruits and veggies.

They seem earlier this year.

Help....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

dollar store fly paper

store as much of your fruit and veggies in the fridge

I don't know but seemed like the fruit flies around here are pretty dumb leave a cup of water ( or soda * bleck*) out and they drown in it!!

Also wash everything when you get home to get rid of eggs or cast aways.

Oh and also going crazy and batting at them relentlessly... im not deranged im batting fruit flies i swear !!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Are they fruit flies or gnats? I don't know how to get rid of gnats, but I do know how to get rid of fruit flies!

If they are fruit flies, then take a small chunk of banana and put it into a jar with a metal lid. Take the metal lid out to the garage and punch a few holes in it with a hammer and nail. Make sure the holes are big enough for the flies to get in.

The flies can get in, but they can't get out!

As far as gnats go, the fly paper sounds like the best option!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hope they are fruit flies and not gnats, last year I got bit so bad on the back of my head from gnats while working in the garden that the whole side of my head swelled up.

Master Dollar Stretcher aka AmyBob AmyMCGS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The OP says gnats.

Last time we had gnats I finally ran bleach through the garbage disposal, and they disappeared shortly after that. I figured there might be food bits trapped in the disposal.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

This is all good advice. Thank you, but how can you tell if it's fruit flies or a gnats?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Could they be drain flies?

If they are you need to take a bucket full of hot hot water with a cup of bleach and dump it down each floor drain in your house. I dealt with these for years never knowing what they were or where they came from. A radio call in show host called "Ask the Handyman" suggested this and that knocked them right out. I saw a few the next summer and followed the same procedure and haven't seen them since. You can kill all of the adults you see but unless you get the eggs and larvae in the drain pipes they will keep coming back. Hot bleach water does that.

UKBB

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If they're attracted to food they're fruit flies, computer screens or anything bright I would have to say gnats. For fruit flies, I put out a small bowl of vinegar w/ one tiny drop of liquid dish detergent in it....not mixed. By morning, you'd be surprised how many are in there!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use those fly strip deals you can get at walmart or dollar general. Good luck!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've got the fruit flies tooo! I hate them! I got some strips for them today. We don't have a storm door on the back door and I leave it open when DD plays in her sandbox - so I get a ton of over flies in. I have been fighting the same 3 flies for the past 3-4 days - I thought they died after a couple of days!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I had these this winter. They were fungus gnats. They came from my house plants. What a pain. I had to dry the soil out completely to kill them. I also took the plant poting soil out to the shed instead of leaving it in the basement. That seemed to help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Hi!

If you find out they are fruit flies, I recommend trying Sarah's (Momto2Boyz) tip of putting a piece of fruit in a sealed jar with holes poked in the lid - I had fruit flies everywhere, and tried this (with a piece of peach cause I didn't have any bananas) - It worked GREAT!!! It trapped so many of the little pests - You would think they would see all their buddies in there and not go for it, but apparently they are not the smartest little bugs. Thanks to Sarah for the tip!

Blessings,