Augh! Ants in my house!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default sugar ants

I know we have covered this before but, how do I get rid of sugar ants? I ate some this morning, gross or what? I still feel like they are crawling on me! I was eating a cookie (that I am not supposed to be eating anyway) and about 3/4 through I noticed 100's of sugar ants crawling all over inside the box. YUCK! I have never had these small red ants before and cannot see where they are comming from. I can only say thank goodness they are not in my regular pantry.

Needless to say I am scrubbing my cabinets out and running all the dishes through the dishwasher. I must say that is the last time I eat and read again! (at least without checking the food first that is, after all it is my favorite pastime)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Try Borax. I got rid of small black ants in the house using borax.

Take the lid from a small jar (or some small flat container) and place in the lid about 1 teaspoons of borax powder, a teaspoon of sugar and 4 teaspoons of water. Mix to a paste and leave it for the ants in the lid. Make sure yoou keep it away from children and animals.

Another method is to wipe your bench or cupboard with a vinegar/water or ammonia/water solution. About 1/4 cup or vinegar OR ammonia to one cup of water.

Or you could try both together.

You could also look for the trail of ants and follow the trail back to the nest. Pouring boiling water into the nest to kill the queen will cause all the ants to leave.

I have found that at some times of the year one solution will get rid of them but if you try that again, it won't work. I'm not sure if they're different ants of if at different times of the year they are stronger.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Where are the ants?

I have lived in my present home for 27 years. Every year (and I mean always) as soon as the weather warms, we have had ants. I have been using Avon SKin-so-Soft and it does pretty well, but it is not toally inexpensive. We have been in the 70's and 80's for a couple of weeks, and it has just occured to me that I haven't seen the usual invasion. I asked dh about it and he hasn't seen any ants, either. The only thing I can think of is that I have increased my usage of vinegar for cleaning. I have gotten into the habit of using only vinegar and water for mopping my linoleum and also as a degreaser. I can't think of any other explanation. I think maybe the odor(undetectable to us) is keeping them out.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have used a vinager and water mixture to pour over ants and it kills theem!

I also use a large 2 inch deep planter saucer and fill it with water and then put my large deep bowl of dog food in the center, ants can't get to the dog food!
    My Dh is the one who invented this idea!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

JoyAnn, I agree with washing things down with the vinegar/water mix, works in this house too. We did have a few about 4 weeks ago but none since. Hate those stupid things, makes me feel somehow dirty or something. ick

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I will have to try it. We always get ants, too. We have a lot of spiders this spring. (EEEK) And those icky lady-bug imposters that are a stinky beetle.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I hate ants! We get them every year too. I have tried the vinegar, doesn't work very well for me. We bought some insect spray in a gallon jug with a spray attachment at Lowe's. I think it is "Home Defense" or something like that. We sprayed it all around the foundation, door and window frames. Seems to be working so far.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Also I've used chiil pepper on their mounds and balck pepper around the base of the house. It does agood job.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Talking

I have extra I can send over to you.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

me too. if you are feeling lonely for them i'll happily send you some of mine.
    they were coming in through a crack in the fireplace last week when we had rain

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Sprinkle baby powder around. That will take those buggers down!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We are being bombarded with ants!!! It is driving me insane!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Ants and dirty windows

I have ants in my living room. They're rather "special" since they have yet to find my kitchen. I have 3 1/2 year-old twins and a dog, so bug spray is out of the question. I read a tip once about putting down piles of cornmeal, but you can't find that in this country. (I did find some very processed corn meal once, but would that work? If so, I can look for it again in a month or two when one supermarket starts carrying things for expats celebrating Thanksgiving/Christmas.)

Also, I need a wiper fluid recipe. It can't contain ammonia since that can't be found here either...although I can get Windex. Would vinegar work as well? How much to how much water?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

for wiper fluid, i would probably just water down some windex....(just my suggestion, there are tons of others here that will probably suggest better!)

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Smile ants and dirty windows

hi this is what i used to get rid of ants i had read on another website. it said to take your use coffee grounds and put them outside your house were you see the ants are going into your house. i had little ants in my kitchen i tried this it worked i have a window above my sink i believe the ants were coming from that window so i put the coffee grounds under the window outside on the ground. at first i thought it was not going to work then a couple of days later i saw no more ants. it work. a good way to recycle your coffee grounds.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast