Need tip for getting rid of fleas!
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Need tip for getting rid of fleas!

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. We also have a big field behind our house, which means we are at war with fleas. They have been to the vet and are on Advantix, but I need a solution for making sure they are not in the house. (fleas not pets...they are indoor animals except for play and potty). Catch is, I'm pregnant, so the solution must be baby friendly. (and as cheap as possible!) I took them to vet at the first sign of fleas, and haven't really seen many, but where there's 1 theres a 1000, and those little suckers multiply fast. I really want to stop this before it gets bad!

**If I posted this in the wrong place I'm sorry, I'm new and still finding my way around!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I saw on tv the other day to sprinkle reg. table salt on the carpet....it will the fleas. Never tried it myself, just saw it not long ago.....

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I don't know how baby friendly it is...you'll have to research...
    but I sprinkle Borax on all my rigs, carpets, and cushions....let it sit for an afternoon, then vacuum up....it works. I have 3 dogs that live indoors.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

There is a pill called capstar we used for our cat and dog. When the fleas are in their biting stages. Wen they bite the animal that ate the pill it basically paralizes their mouth and they starve. They are around 6 $ for a 50lbs + dog and around 4 $ for a cat 15 lbs+. Otherthan that our vet said to give them a bath with the Original Dawn dishsoap and brush them with a fleacomb a lot.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I find the most effective solution is Advantage, which you get from your vet. You put this goo on the back of the animal's neck and they become a walking flea collar. Anywhere they are ,the fleas get on them and die from the stuff. I am pretty certain it will be safe for you becase it goes into the animals bloodstream. I had an infestation last year and that is what my vet recommended. All the varmints were gone in just a few days.

You reapply it once a month. The stuff you get at the pet store is not nearly as effective as the stuff from the vet.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow!! Great tips you guys!! I love common household items one espeically!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

just remember to keep the area where your pets lay and sleep or rest clean..hot soap and water and a hot dryer for any kind of rugs, pillows or anything they spend time on..will keep the infestations down..also, make sure your pets have healthy doses of garlic and brewers yeast..that keeps the fleas to a minimum as well..invest in a "lice" comb (cheap at cvs) instead of paying top dollar for a flea comb at a pet store, since they are essentially the same thing..my vet also advised us to bath our pets in regular baby shampoo as other shampoos can seriously dry out the skin and cause irritation and more scratching..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had a small flea infestation after bringing into the house a box of clothes stored in someone else's garage who had cats. At the first sign of the bugs we called the carpet cleaner who came over and gave the carpets a thorough cleaning and then spritzed them with a vinegar and water solution. It took care of the problem completely.