help with fleas!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default help with fleas!!!

my dog, cat and home are invaded with fleas. We have tried baths, spot on treatments, sprays for the carpet and furniture, and I vaccuum everyday. They have dwindled, but still here. Any tried and true tips for getting rid of them for good?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The *only* thing that has helped to keep our four dogs and three cats flea free is Frontline Plus. It's well worth the price. I pay (depending on the weight of the dog) about $35 for a three month supply for each animal.

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Every year my two indoor cats fleas. You can use Borax laundry addative or salt on the carpets but you have to leave it on for at least 24 hours. Not an option here. Too much traffic and not enough doors lol. So I got some Zodiac flea stuff, its like Frontline but cheaper. like 6.99 for a two months supply. The fleas will still bite the animals but will leave them sterile. As for the carpets a friend gave us a Dirt Devil turbine. This has got to be the best sweeper that I have ever used. It actually lifts the carpet up off the floor. The first couple of times it really picked up whatever the other sweeper missed along with the fleas and eggs. Just be sure to empty it outside so they don't crawl back out. I also used a flea comb on the cats and ran it over a candle if I found any fleas. Right now they are flea free. We tried all kinds of sprays and bombs but so far this is the easiest and safest way we've found.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I've heard of the salt trick, I have some on the couch and chair that the dog and cat sleep on, so we'll see...
    They are driving me absolutely crazy!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

If you've gotten rid of live fleas, you've now got to break their life and breeding cycle.

Fleas have a 12 day hatch cycle. but can also remain in their pupae for a year if the conditions aren't right to hatch.

So, for starters as much as I hate chemicals:
    1.bomb your house and that includes opening your cabinets, etc.
    fleas like dark and warm areas, so your cabinets can be suspect.
    2. get a flea collar and cut a bit off and put a bit in your vac bag.
    3. vacuum the whole house expecially concentrate between floor boards and corners of the room also vacuum your mattress and box springs.
    4. toss the bag in the trash outside
    5. wash all surfaces of your house.
    6. all animal bedding and litter box will need to get cleaned daily for the next 12 days to 3 weeks.
    7. wash all pets, spot on if you have it - recommended frontline plus. If they are infested now, try comfortis and leave them in a secure area outside of the house, but an area that is comfortable for them. Comfrotis only works for 24 hours, so you'll need follow up.
    8. for follow up, vaccuum your house daily with a bit of flea collar in the bag. Be sure to also vacuum out your cabinets too.

After 3 weeks you should see the fleas gone. Be sure to maintain the spot on for at least the next year to be sure you've broken the cycle. Frontline plus tends to be the safest and most effective of them all IMHO others have had good success with Program too.

Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In order to combat the fleas you have to treat the house, the pet and the yard. Go to Wal Mart and get some yard spray just find one that hooks up to the hose and will kill fleas ( I can't remember the name of one we used) and just douse your yard from the foundation of your house all the way to the property line. And then repeat this again in a month.

As for the house and pets...Adams flea products work very very well..do not get some cheap Hartz brand or no name brand. Spray any and all carpets, spray the baseboards where they meet the walls and wash anything the dogs or cats lay on in hot water at least once a week.

Use the Adams shampoo and flea spray on the animals...( yes bathe the cats too!!) and repeat this again in a month. Also get a flea comb and comb the fleas off the pets..think lice on your kids LOL

You can also use Borax on your carpets it will dry up the eggs and fleas and when you vaccum...which you shoudl be doing alot..throw the bag away outside and don't let it sit for weeks...if it's bagless dump it in a grocery sack and get it out of the house!

Fleas can cause tapeworms in your dogs..not fun...not fun at all...think smelling nasty icky running poo....not fun. Easily treated but not fun.

Hit all three areas at the same time and you wil lbe able to beat them. You can also call a pest controlcompany and they can come out and treat the house yard...it's really up to you ..we always did it ourselves.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for all the replies. I have been vaccuuming daily and emptying the canister in a bag outside. We have not treated the yard yet, we'll definetly do this. The dog and cat have had baths and were treated BUT it was with the Hartz brand spot on stuff. I've been trying to avoid the expense of frontline, but I think I will give in on that one. I just want them gone.
    I've been avoiding using chemicals on the carpet because of the kids, especially the baby. We have used a natural spray that did kill them, but not good enough
    Last edited by amanjud; 08-25-2008 at 03:53 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

After battling fleas for years, we came upon a tried and true method. I mean, we would spray the yard, the house, bathe the dogs, and overnight they would be back.

We bought something called Flea Busters. It's a non-toxid powder. You sprinkle it all over the carpet, upholstery, dog bedding, rugs, and smooth floors. Sweep it into every crevice, then vacuum up. It works mechanically instead of by poison. The flea bodies cannot survive because this dries them out severely.

Since then we have never, ever used anything else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ack! FLeas are horrible to get rid of. We actually ripped up carpet once to get rid of them....have since learned our lesson and spray the yard and use frontline on the dog monthly. My aunt says that if you put a bowl of water in the floor at night and put a light above it, the fleas will jump to the light and land in the water and drown, never tried it but, hey, couldn't hurt

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by DJ1972 View Post
    My aunt says that if you put a bowl of water in the floor at night and put a light above it, the fleas will jump to the light and land in the water and drown, never tried it but, hey, couldn't hurt

We've done this just for amusements sake if nothing else. It does work, but doesn't get ALL of them. It's kind of fun to watch in a icky way.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Dump that Hartz business..lol If you have TSC Tractor Supply Store..you can get some Adams there and they also carry another good brand that we had great luck with. Zodiac I believe.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeMom View Post
    The *only* thing that has helped to keep our four dogs and three cats flea free is Frontline Plus. It's well worth the price. I pay (depending on the weight of the dog) about $35 for a three month supply for each animal.
    I was going to suggest this. My poor cat is allergic to fleas and last year at Christmas time I had to take him to the vet because he was inflamed because of flea bites. He told me to use frontline and I haven't had any flea problems since. My cats are indoor cats too!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In Canada I use Advantage for my cats and it works great I get it from the vet it's expensive but worth every penny.We had our house treated once professionally-what a nightmare- and I have fought them myself using most of the treatments already mentioned.When we moved into our place I think the yard must have been covered in them I had my kids coming in with fleas on them and we treated the yard a couple of times-now with the Advantage we never have a problem.Everyone...please don't use hartz flea products on your animals I know they're cheaper but the frontline/advantage(there are a few others but names escape me)are way better and healthier

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

all i used was frontline plus. took about a month they were all gone. didn't bomb or anything. edited to add: it was advantage i used...not frontline.
    Last edited by ladykemma2; 08-25-2008 at 07:09 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use Frontline Plus monthly and two times a year I spray down the carpets with Bengal flea spray. Just lock the pets out of the room for at least one hour after spraying. I do the spraying over 2 days so I can block off each room for extra safety.

We have 8 indoor cats and this method really works for us.
    Last edited by FrugalWitch; 08-25-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast