Someone asked about fleas...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Someone asked about fleas...

Here is what we do.

I bathe my dogs once a week. One week is with regular Dawn dishsoap. I let it sit on for 5 minutes, just like I would a flea shampoo. The next week, I use regualr shampoo.
    After each bath, they get a flea spray. It is Frontline. I just spray on when they are wet.
    Starting in the spring, I treat my yard with a solution of regular Dawn and bleach.
    I put a half cup of dawn and then fill the rest of one of those sprayer things that attach to the hose (you know the ones, that miracle grow comes in) with bleach. I then spray that over the backyard. Making sure I get really well around the fence line. I do this once a month until October.
    I also treat the cat the same way.
    I have been doing this for years and never have any problems with fleas!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The bleach doesn't kill your lawn?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No. Because there is actually so little being spread over a big area.
    My grass grows better since we have started doing this. Not sure why.
    My sil got me started doing this. She has an amazing yard. The grass is always so much more green than her neighbors. And she has 8 dogs and 4 cats. Plus she is a groomer/kennel owner. She runs it out of her house.
    She has also worked for vets all over, (bil was Air Force) and she got that from one of them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It was me with the fleas. We haven't been able to afford the frontline yet ( it's been a terrible summer money wise). We have been bathing the cat and dog, and my hubby found some spray in the garage for the lawn that he had gotten free at work. I've been vaccuuming everyday and am glad to say I haven't seen a flea in a while (crossing fingers!!). We will still get the frontline for future protection. I hate those darrn buggers, I've never felt so crawly in all my life!

Thanks for the tip on the dawn, much less expensive than the flea shampoo!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feed my dog a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar once a day every day and a little garlic powder I have no problems with fleas.
    Last edited by larabelle; 09-26-2008 at 04:01 PM.
    Blessed and Highly Favored!!!!
    From $78K in debt to debt free and purchased a house and used car with 100% cash...God is sooo Good!!!

Goals:
    New to me vehicle

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I've been doing some research on this topic, trying to find a cheaper alternative to flea prevention.

Something I ran across today that I'm going to try is to take a spray bottle and use a dilution of whatever flea shampoo you use with some water and spray them every few days with that.
    I figured I already had some of the green, Hartz flea shampoo on hand, so I thought I'd give it a try to see if it works, I figured it would have to smell better than the actual flea spray you'd find at the store.

Amanjud, if you can't get the Frontline spray right now, I've also heard good things about the Adams flea spray, I think it runs about $6.99 a bottle or so?
    Maybe that would be another option for you?

Oh & while I'm thinking of it, that bottle of fly spray that I bought for our horse also said it could be used for fleas? It was only $4.95 a bottle at our local Tractor Supply store??

Moor thank-you for the suggestion on the bleach & Dawn combo for the yard, I'll definately give that a try!
    I'm wondering, do you add any water at all?
    Or just add the bleach to the Dawn?
    Last edited by cheles2kids; 09-26-2008 at 07:46 PM.
    Michelle in middle Tennessee!

Ever so slowly rebuilding my stockpile...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have a sprayer like this

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...48&id=cat70044

I put the Dawn and the bleach in there and then attach it to my water hose. That is enough to do one application for my yard. If you have a big yard, you many need to fill it twice.
    My sil/bil have one acre and they fill it three times. But they also go over the property line several times. As they live near woods like we do.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    I have a sprayer like this

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...48&id=cat70044

I put the Dawn and the bleach in there and then attach it to my water hose. That is enough to do one application for my yard. If you have a big yard, you many need to fill it twice.
    My sil/bil have one acre and they fill it three times. But they also go over the property line several times. As they live near woods like we do.
    Okie dokie! Thanks for the follow-up reply to my questions, I appreciate it.

For anyone interested in trying this, I found a sprayer (just like the Scott's one, but almost $3.00 cheaper) at Wal-mart. I paid $5.00 for mine, it was called the "Expert Gardener, Non-clogging 3-Way Lawn & Garden Sprayer".

Thanks again Moor, for all the tips!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I got mine when I bought some Miracle Grow. I think I actually paid about $5.00 for the sprayer and the plant food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for sharing these tips. Our dog got fleas over the week, and we bathed him in Dawn dishsoap then sprayed some Hartz flea & tick spray this morning... Thankfully he is flea free at the moment. I've vacuumed religiously this week and hope they are GONE for good. I will definately keep this in mind for the yard next summer.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Just wanted to add my two cents....bathing your dog once a week isn't always wise. If you have labs they shouldn't be bathed at all with soap or shampoo unless they rolled into something dead. Clear water baths are perfectly fine. Overbathing your dog will strip his coat and skin of oils that they need to maintain a good coat and you could end with a dog with major coat and skin issues.

Combing your dog with a flea comb ( think lice in children) is a good way to get rid of them too. But..you do have to treat dog, house and yard to really get rid of them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

When they have fleas, we do the afore mentioned treatment plan.

We have GSD's, so during the winter, or times of no fleas, they just get sprayed off, unless they have been in the creek. It is nasty, so we bathe them after that.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

For Advantage users: NOT advantix just plain advantage.
    This is only safe with this product as it is the same chemical for cats and dogs.

The dosage is .01cc per 2.2 pounds. Most of those tubes treat a big with range. So you might be using as much as double the amount of product necessary for you r pet depending on its weight. What I have been doing is buying the larger dose in the 4 pack and splitting the vial between the two dogs and cat. It saves a fortune.Just get a 1cc syringe to do the dosages.

Rather than treat every 4 weeks I only treat when I see evidence of fleas. Usually once in July and once in Sept and I'm done for the year. I'm in the NE. Warmer climates will be different.

Also if you are getting rid of fleas in the house. vacuum before you spray the carpets. Vacuuming causes the eggs to hatch. The sprays only work on the larvae and adults and eggs can lye dormant in your carpet for years.

Vacuum/treat once a week and then after a month vacuum/treat once a month

Raid Flea spray works really well on carpeting.

Using these two methods I have effectively gotten rid of the fleas that used to infest the house. In fact this year I have not seen one flea and have not had to treat either the house or the animals.
    Last edited by shadowfax; 10-01-2008 at 11:28 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

This post got me thinking " outside the box" over the weekend, so to speak and I'm doing a bit of experimenting right now with my own topical spot-on treatment.

Since the Frontline Plus doesn't seem to be working for us as well as it has in the past, I've read over time that your dogs can build up a resistance to it, unfortuantely.

I decided instead, to buy a bottle of the flea spray and instead of applying it over their entire body, I'm using the flea spray but applying it more like the spot-on treatment.
    I've only done one treatment, so I haven't had enough time to see if this would work long term, but I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

I'm just using an empty syringe and filling it up with the flea spray and just applying it all the way down their back.
    A couple things that I did want to note:

The spray is much more watered down than the topical spot-on, so you can't use as much of it.
    I'm thinking because of this, a person might have to apply it either weekly or bi-weekly to continue with the effectiveness.
    When applying, it is much easier & quicker to get it on them.
    It dries so much faster & doesn't leave that oily residue that the other topicals leave behind.
    Applying it this way doesn't use as much product, and also seemed to get it down to the skin much quicker, than spraying all over the coat.
    *If* this does work, the savings could be astronomical, compared to buying the topical flea meds.

I just wanted to share & I'll keep you all updated with how my experimentation goes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Be sure to empty your vacuum cleaner after vacuuming............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast