Ugh Moths

Thread: Ugh Moths

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default Ugh Moths

Okay, so I have moths in my pantry. I bought plastic containers for the flour, sugar, etc. Thought that would help. I pull out my big bag of wheat flour that I've only used once, and there's moth all inside the flour and the container! UGH! I'm guessing I may not have closed it tightly enough. I also found them in a box of pasta last night, and so I had to throw that away. I am tired of throwing food away! How do I get rid of these suckers?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

It most likely is not coming from your pantry, but probably was already in the food when you bought it. There are sometimes bug eggs in the food we buy, and then when we bring it home, they hatch. I know, gross! All you can really do is throw it out and make sure you check the rest of your grains, pasta, etc. and get rid of everything so they don't spread. Or you can take things back to the store and explain what happened and they will probably refund your money.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

At the feed stores I bought 5 gallon buckets and they have the really tight lids, these are for flour, sugar, oatmeal, rice, pasta, etc.! I get the more expensive rubber maid food bins at walmart, thrift stores and yard sales for the cereals, other pasta's flours, baking goods!
    EVERYTHING I own is in rubber maid bins, I learned a long time ago that the weevils and bugs come from the original packaging (I.E. paper bags, cardboard, plastic etc.) So, everything I own goes into it's proper bin, this way, I never throw out food!!
    Good luck
    Mommy

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I use zip lock bags. Place all of my dry foods in individual bags and cut out needed instructions and put in there as well. so if I get bugs in one it won't pollute the rest. Yeah just went through having to de-moth my kitchen. No fun. I also hung those sticky traps over the sink to catch adults.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by nvmommyx6 View Post
    At the feed stores I bought 5 gallon buckets and they have the really tight lids, these are for flour, sugar, oatmeal, rice, pasta, etc.! I get the more expensive rubber maid food bins at walmart, thrift stores and yard sales for the cereals, other pasta's flours, baking goods!
    EVERYTHING I own is in rubber maid bins, I learned a long time ago that the weevils and bugs come from the original packaging (I.E. paper bags, cardboard, plastic etc.) So, everything I own goes into it's proper bin, this way, I never throw out food!!
    Good luck
    Mommy
    I do the same . If you have room it is important to freeze your products for 24-48 hours before properly storing. Also when putting in the containers put a bay leaf in as well as on your pantry shelves. Make sure you vacuum, and bleach the cupboards down as they will lay eggs that hatch in 28 day cycles. Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I too have moths mine come from the birdseed I buy for my birds. The instructions from the company is that food needs to be frozen for atleast 1 month to kill all larva and eggs in the food. They infest everything. I have sticky traps hanging by the bird cage and I vacuum my food pantry atleast once a month I have yet to get rid of them but I am keeping them down to a low nuisance..eeerrrgg