Bugs, Bugs, I hate bugs!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Bugs, Bugs, I hate bugs!!!

I am looking for some homemade or household items to help get rid of bugs. We have a small infestation in our community of earwig bugs, I can't find anything on ways to get rid of them other than calling a pest control guy.....don't want to pay $100....I have only had one in my house, but my mom has them all over hers, so I figure it's about to happen.

We are also starting to get ants....not little ants.....the big ones that look like they have been taking steriods or something. Of course we have flies too, but that is because my wonderful children keep leaving the door open...LOL!!!!

My grandmother told me to put vinegar, sugar, and water in a jar for the flies, but I am wondering what to do about those earwig bugs and the ants.

Any ideas or suggestions will be very welcome!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

They are bad this year. My dog is having fun with them. Im finding them in the kitchen bathroom laundry roomunder rugs, I get chills just thinkin of them. I have not found a good treatment for them.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I'm so tired of bugs, it seems a bad year for them here. Everytime I look down I see something crawling. Yesterday I had the most horrifying experience. I put a clean shirt on from my closet. I heard a crackly noise as I put my arm in the sleeve and felt something scratchy. Rolled the sleeve up and there was something nesting in it. I don't know what it was, it looked like a cocoon or something, but it bit or stung me and I had a big burning itchy welt on my shoulder for about 4 hours.

But, I digress...

Earwigs like to crawl into small dark places. We used to set traps for them. You just need a dark coloured tube, we used to use an old hula hoop cut in half. Leave it out overnight and empty it into soapy water in the morning. Soapy water kills earwigs instantly.

The vinegar works for fruitflies, I don't know about houseflies. I use a fly swatter for them. Much more satisfying

I use the raid syrup stuff for ants. You just dump some in their path and they take it home and it kills the whole nest. It's effective with the little ones, not as much with the giant ones. My mother's been fighting a losing battle with those for years. She thinks they all have to be individually caught and 'cracked', but think that war has gotten personal.
    Last edited by monkeywrangler71; 07-10-2009 at 01:40 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I know what you mean....Bugs, I hate Bugs! We have had a crazy amount of earwigs, spiders and centipedes this year. Nothing I've ever tried really worked, I've put out dried herbs (as suggested) to deter them, but nada.

I just hate bugs. We had to get a guy in here to spray when we first moved in this house. It was Christmas and the house had been vacant in a farming area for almost a year. When we turned on the heat everything that nested in the house thought it was Spring and started hatching. It was like something out of a horror film. We went to bed one night and I kept seeing flashes of light, I opened my eyes and saw that our bedroom was filled with lightening bugs! Everywhere! We had already spent most the day with the sweeper sucking up bugs and that was the last straw. We haven't had a guy in since then but I'm seriously thinking about bombing the place. As much as I hate chemicals I think I hate bugs more. If there are some effective natural methods of getting rid of creepy crawly things I like to know too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post

The vinegar works for fruitflies, I don't know about houseflies. I use a fly swatter for them. Much more satisfying
    Hey MW...more info on this please......what and how do you use the vinegar?

I think one of my houseplants have them. I know they like moist places for their eggs or even water.......but what do you do?
    If I could decide which plant I would chuck it! I hate them....whenever I water......they hatch, and soon are flying around my computer screen or other light.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The gnats are starting to hang around here. I have a small container of soda on the counter but think it is time for the fly paper to come out. And I really don't like fly paper!!! Unfortunately my cat doesn't have any interest in taking care of bugs anymore. She would rather watch them or "play" with them.
    Used to have one cat that would pretty much destroy the place trying to "get the bug".

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Ewww, earwigs. I say bomb the suckers. Scary looking creatures!

Last edited by Palooka; 07-10-2009 at 05:50 PM.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frugalfranny View Post
    Hey MW...more info on this please......what and how do you use the vinegar?

I think one of my houseplants have them. I know they like moist places for their eggs or even water.......but what do you do?
    If I could decide which plant I would chuck it! I hate them....whenever I water......they hatch, and soon are flying around my computer screen or other light.
    Put some vinegar in a shallow container (I use a ramekin), cover with saran wrap and poke a few holes in it. I think they lay eggs in fermenting fruit, so the smell of vinegar attracts them. They will climb into the dish through the holes, but they can't find their way out again and eventually drown. If they are hatching in your plants though you'll never get rid of them with traps, they breed almost immediately after hatching and each have hundreds of babies.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The bug guy is one service I gladly pay for. I'll skimp in other areas.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrangler71 View Post
    If they are hatching in your plants though you'll never get rid of them with traps, they breed almost immediately after hatching and each have hundreds of babies.
    Yes, hundreds! And I am not sure it isn't thousands!

I am getting ready to repot all house plants and will 'wash roots' and give them fresh dirt so this could help. It has gotten better since I have been very diligent about keeping the two trays of water/pebbles, that my orchids sit on, washed and clean. That was 'primo' breeding ground but I needed more humidity for the plants.

thanks for the vinegar info......might try that too.
    Last edited by frugalfranny; 07-10-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Wow, everyone is having the same prob. as us.
    ants-cornmeal
    bees-pop bottle w/ apple juice
    gnats-fly paper
    black ants-??
    Jerry Baker had recipes for lawn spray w/ shampoo,beer

I wrote up this morning and flying ants all over my deck. I sprayed the front for the first time in forever. It's like every week it's something diff.

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

WE get earwigs every year. The first year here I paid for a bug ugy to come out, it was 40$, second year the bug guy was 45$.

Last year I bought some spray from Target for 30$ that you spray around the outside of your foundation and the inside of our home, along walls etc. and I did that again this year. Works like a charm .

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

MrsMcDowell what was the name of the spray you got at Target!!! I am willing to try anything!!! Thank You!!

McD
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I think it was the Ortho Home defense. It works very well. Hubby sprayed it earlier this week and I haven't seen an earwig since. Before that, we were seeing 1 or 2 a day in our main level/upstairs and tons down in the basement

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have earwigs everywhere too but mostly where it's damp. I will have to try the tube thingy. They are just nasty. We even have salamanders or lizards or whatever you call those critters.
    Last edited by pop goes the weasel; 07-13-2009 at 09:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast