That time of year again - Ants
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default That time of year again - Ants

Every year around this time we get ants strolling into our kitchen. Not sure where they come from, they seem to be walking right in the back door.

The only thing that has ever worked for me is the little bottle of raid syrup stuff that they take home and feed to the rest of the colony. I bought a bottle years ago and only use a couple drops a year. I don't know if it expires, if it doesn't it will probably last the rest of my life.

What do you do for ants?

Registered User MakeADollarHollar's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We sometimes get itty-bitty ants that I call sugar ants. Don't know what they are called. I keep a squirt bottle of rubbing alcohol in the kitchen when they show up and squirt them. They dehydrate on the spot.

You can try sprinkling some Diaotomaceous Earth around the perimeter of your home. It's safe for humans and pets. That might also help.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never tryed this but was told it would work.Sprinkle some self rising corn meal where you see them and you want see any more ants there it sound funny but they swore it worked.
    Last edited by piney; 05-12-2010 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fail to add coment

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Also the corn meal want hurt children or pets if they happen to get in to it.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We have ants every year and the last two years have been real bad. We used the syrup stuff for a while but I think the ones we have now are immune to it. DH is about to flame the entire kitchen to get rid of them. We think there is a colony in the wall behind the stove (matches up to the bathroom shower on the other side.) They also come in from behind the dishwasher.

I don't know what they are after, they won't take the borax/sugar mix. They don't go into the sink for water, they don't touch my open bag of veg scraps for compost. But they crawl on everything, dozens of them, and are getting all over the house.

The only thing that is working is the poison in a spray can and DH is using it liberally, but they still keep coming.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have them at this time of year too. Mainly in my fr. I use those ant traps. You punch a hole in them and put them on the floor. I have used them for years and they work great for me.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have never had ants in the bathroom, but this year-YES! Why in the bathroom? I saw them crawling around the toothpaste. AND when I was making the bed last week--I saw 1~where I sleep!!!!!

jas
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Ants are such a pain! We have tried that syrup stuff too. I have heard that they don't like cinnamon. Well neither does dh so that is out for me.

In the yard here in Florida we get those big fire ants. If they bite you it hurts like heck and you get these white little pimple like things. They don't come in the house much, but we have found nests of other kinds. Just gross.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Here's what worked for me: I scattered whole peppercorns in my cabinets. Looks a little weird, but the ants went away.
    Spiritual:
    "You are fearfully and wonderfully made." Please... respect life.

Financial:
    Debt free, hoping to stay that way!

MY BLOG: glorybug.wordpress.com

1. Keep on writing.
    2. Get some balance in my life.
    3. Lose weight. Hopefully 20# this year.
    4. Continue to be looking for how God wants to use me this year.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by jas View Post
    Ants are such a pain! We have tried that syrup stuff too. I have heard that they don't like cinnamon. Well neither does dh so that is out for me.

In the yard here in Florida we get those big fire ants. If they bite you it hurts like heck and you get these white little pimple like things. They don't come in the house much, but we have found nests of other kinds. Just gross.
    Yes, for sure we have Fire Ants down here in Florida. I was sitting in the computer room the other night, in the dark, minding my own business playing on the computer, when something bit me on the foot. I turned the light on and found out that my bare foot was sitting in the middle of about 20 fire ants. I had to outside to my utility room off of the carport to get the ANT SPRAY. I don't use anything unless I see them, then they get sprayed. About once every couple of years I will see some in my house. Most often, of course, they are outside in the yard. I hate them!!!!!!

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

We had fire ants in the yard in Texas. I like to garden in my bare feet. Yeah...

A bucket of hot soapy water will destroy their nest, and you don't have to use chemicals on them. Some big nests might need two buckets.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Fire ants are evil creatures.

Just tonight I saw one of those little tiny ants on my kitchen counter. That usually means there is a million near. Ugh. Hope it's not a bad year for them.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I get the ity bity ones also... around my kitchen window, sink and stove... I tried everything but this worked last year and 2 days ago I seen them for the first time this year lots of them.... so i used what i did last year and they are gone.. one day and i havent seen one since... this is what i did... take 20 mule team borax and cheap pancake syrup and mix together... put on something shallow so they can get in and out without drownding and they take back to nest and soon they are gone... yeah! hope this helps..

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We get the little, tiny black ants. I have tried every home remedy, urban legend and finally called the bug guy. The little creatures were eating my CARPET! Between my kitchen and entry there is a strip 2-3 rows wide that is chewed up! The bug guy can't figure it out - but he saw them. We just spotted them this year and this time they are upstairs too!?!? They were marching where the carpet meets the tile. The bug guy thinks we have strange ants.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In the house, Vinegar works for me.
    I just go thru my cupboards take things out, wipe them down and bag up anything ants like. I then wash down all my counters, canisters & appliances with the vinegar. Works for me.
    Make sure you leave nothing food/sugar wise on counters or in appliances like crumbs etc. , especially overnight. Sweep floors well.
    Diligence is key and you will win the war.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast