Regional Pests?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional Pests?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Default Regional Pests?

In Indiana we had these little lady bug-like beatles that would swarm over the sides of the house and screen windows in late summer/early fall. In addition, there were wood/sand burrowing wasps that were black and had very scary flight patterns, up, down, zig zagging, I HATED those things. They are parasidic and would catch great big flying grass hoppers that were 3 times there size and then lay eggs in them. What's worse is that you can't kill them. Ick!

We would visit family in Michigan every summer. My uncle has a cottage on a lake and there were fish flies EVERYWHERE.

In Florida, it seems I am witnessing love bug season for the first time. I've been dodging the little suckers while walking down the outdoor steps to the ground level of the apartment building. They float around with no real direction. I didn't know they were love bugs until I asked one of the office girls today what they were, and did they bite. LOL.

So....anyone else have interesting (if gross LOL) pest situations in their state/region?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I dread junebug season - usually in May here. I haven't seen them yet this year, but I know they're coming soon. They don't hurt a thing, but they're noisy and love to land on folks with a big "plop".

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

LOL, the lovebugs are just starting! It's the huge (big as my whole hand) spiders that I don't like.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

In Arizona we have carpenter bees. They're big, black, noisy as hell and curious. They'll come and hover 2 inches from your face. They don't bite or sting but simply freak you out.

We have scorpions. 'Nuf said.

Out in the desert, especially if there's cattle nearby, we have horse flies. Those are evil and the stings hurt!

Of course we have Africanized bees. Those can be deadly and scary.

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cicadas are loud, but mostly harmless. We get locusts from time to time, but haven't had any major swarms or damage yet.

What kills me in the summer are the chiggers and the tiny invisible mosquitoes.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

Because we, the people, have the power to build a better future. KH

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Contrary Housewife View Post
    Cicadas are loud, but mostly harmless. .
    Now you're really going to think I'm loony... To me, nothing says a summer evening like the sound of Cicadas! It's AWESOME!

Lightning bugs are awesome, another summer time favorite.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Here in Lou-zee-ana we have an untold number of pests:

Fire ants...painful & leave blisters
    Red wasps..painful & I'm allergic
    Potato beetles...look like an orange lady bug; swat one & it stinks to high heaven
    We too have those horse flies...double painful
    Buffalo gnats...they bite, it hurts and then you get a softball, sometimes volleyball sized swelling around the bite. some are allergic.
    Lovebugs here too..make a nasty mess on your windshield/front grill of your car & they'll fly into your mouth when out walking.
    Stinkbugs!!!...need I say more?

Then there's the cottonmouth!!! One got my sister's 10 year old granddaughter. She got over it initially, but had every known side effect for several months. Scary indeed.

I love the lightening bugs too.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

No Russ it's a MI. thing-add frogs in the pond,crickets and an occasional bullfrog and it's orchestra night!!

Druth-those are May flies or Fish flies. On Put-IN-Bay isalnd (ohio) they were so thick they would smother you. But they are short lived. The streets are so thick it makes a crunching sound when you walk. It was kind of surreal.

Registered User monkeywrangler71's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I don't know of anything regional. We have junebugs, which scare the life out of me, and the mosquitos are unbearable in some places. Other than that, I've never encountered anything too bothersome.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
    In Indiana we had these little lady bug-like beatles that would swarm over the sides of the house and screen windows in late summer/early fall. In addition, there were wood/sand burrowing wasps that were black and had very scary flight patterns, up, down, zig zagging, I HATED those things. They are parasidic and would catch great big flying grass hoppers that were 3 times there size and then lay eggs in them. What's worse is that you can't kill them. Ick!

We would visit family in Michigan every summer. My uncle has a cottage on a lake and there were fish flies EVERYWHERE.

In Florida, it seems I am witnessing love bug season for the first time. I've been dodging the little suckers while walking down the outdoor steps to the ground level of the apartment building. They float around with no real direction. I didn't know they were love bugs until I asked one of the office girls today what they were, and did they bite. LOL.

So....anyone else have interesting (if gross LOL) pest situations in their state/region?

I am with you on the Love Bugs. They are really nasty! They come down here twice a year, April-May and about Oct-Nov. Boy, do they smell nasty. Oh, be careful to not open your mouth too wide when outside with them.

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Now you're really going to think I'm loony... To me, nothing says a summer evening like the sound of Cicadas! It's AWESOME!

Yep same here!

There is nothing worse than a Junebug landing in your hair and trying to get it out! I usually run screaming.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    The first time I ever saw a lightning bug was in Costa Rica...damn near scared me to death....was walking alone and about had a heart attack. But I love them.......wish we had them here.

Quote Originally Posted by shp1055 View Post
    Here in Lou-zee-ana we have an untold number of pests:

Then there's the cottonmouth!!! One got my sister's 10 year old granddaughter. She got over it initially, but had every known side effect for several months. Scary indeed.

I love the lightening bugs too.
    Ok---have to ask.......are you talking a snake?.......or what?
    You have got some wicked creatures down yonder!!!

We have stink bugs too.........two different kinds.....one green and one brown. Saw the wicked ants that you mentioned in C. Rica too...no thanks, you can keep them!

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We was horrible and cruel as kids. I remember running in my back yard at night with my friends to try and catch as many lightning bugs as we could. We put them in a Mason jar and slept with them in our rooms. Sorta like a night light.

Of course now I wouldn't hurt them. I enjoy counting how many 'lights' on a beautiful summer night.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

My least favorite pest is people who drive badly. We have lots of them here in Florida.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by leighcat View Post
    My least favorite pest is people who drive badly. We have lots of them here in Florida.
    Ahhh! Doesn't anybody use turn signals down here? It's so funny yet so irritating at the same time. I've never been anywhere where there were fewer people using turn signals LOL. I was just telling BF yesterday that as I was coming home, a half mile from the apartment complex, I was following a string of cars. One by one they all turned off onto different side streets. NOT ONE of the five people used a turn signal lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast