I found a few ideas on how to get rid of fleas on pets - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have three dogs and 1 cat. We use blue dawn dish soap and flea collars at Walmart for 1.00 too. We do give our pets a bath once a week. Also we make sure we keep the grass mowed and weeds trimmed.
    Jenny

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks for this, my cat got very lethargic after a couple different brands of drops, and so I want to avoid them. She rebounded, but I really did not like the effect on her.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I use advantage on both my dog and cat. I was surprised to find at the vet that the cat had a few fleas. the vet suggested I treat the house to be sure nothing was in the carpet. Bombs are not recommended since they go up in the air and then fall on everything, not enough focus on the trouble areas. So I used spray on the floors, washed bedding etc. The process needs to be repeated in 3 weeks as any eggs will hatch within the 3 week period. THEN I found out I was covered for treatment under a contract I have with Terminix. Needless to say, I had them come on the weekend.......now....time will tell

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have heard that diluted dawn dishwashing liquid works great, and that you can also bathe your pets in it to get rid of fleas. My uncle's dog had fleas that vet medicines were not getting rid of, and after one treatment of this, the fleas were gone.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

sorry, didn't realize this tip had already been posted

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

That is one thing we don't have to worry about here....unless you go to the desert. Or a dog park where some other dog has packed them in..........my dogs seldom leave their own little back yard.........a walk sometimes.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Thanks! My poor bully has extremely sensitive skin and flea preventative burns him. I'm going to try the Dawn!

Registered User pop goes the weasel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I tried the salt and it pulled all th moisture in the house into the salt. I'm still sweeping up wet salt!!!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

If you feed your pet Brewer's Yeast, it helps as well. The fleas do not like the taste of it for some reason. You can get this in powder form or in tablets. The tablets I find at Wally World with the pet supplies, I think it can be found in the vitamin section as well. I feed my dog 2 tablets every morning, and he really loves them. If you get the powdered form, just mix it in with the dog food.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have tried almost everything..... my oldest lab is misserable.. he is alergic to flees and also the meds for fleas so I have tried all kids of ess oils (but have not tried the cedar) Do you put that on the pet also?
    I also have to try dawn. I got coal tar shampoo someone told me is a sure fire cure.... the first few days was great but they are back again.....
    Grrrr I hate fleas.... I think I would rather have the ticks.... at least they dont multiply like fleas......

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I am having the same problem...we have tried Advantage several times and used a flea bomb but my 6month old kittens still have fleas. Tried putting cut Rosemary branches under furniture.tried diatomacous earth, tried giving them baths, vacuuming and tried Frontline a couple of days ago but they still have fleas! We've been trying to get rid of them for months. Really don't want to bomb the house but am getting desperate. Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

i have 4 yorkies
    and what i do is order the advantage kits on ebay for $18.99 usually for a 10 month supply..its the kit where they give you a bigger dogs dosage and u measure out what they tell you for the weights..like mine get .04 on the syringe...and it works perfect ..so i get all for 2 months or so for less then $20.00 which is what one one cost at the vets and it always works!!

hope this helps someone...i only see the fleas occassionally in the summer..then apply the advantage...

i didnt know this till recently but wait 24 hours after a bath to apply..and wait the same to give them a bath after applied if they need it

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Yeah i do what sahm does. But i have a saint so she is xx larger dog. But its still way cheaper on ebay. I have tried dawn on her ,,it took FOREVER to wash it out and it left her hair dull looking not sleek and shinny.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We have the 2 older cocker spaniels. Been fine all summer and this fall, the fleas found them. Not sure how all this happens. We live in the country, no other dogs around our dogs, and our dogs normally stay home. The only place they been would have been is a ride to his parents house this summer and they only have the indoor cats.
    Well I been searching on ebay for a good deal. The advantage works well for these two. So I go to the vet a few days ago, and picked up 2 tubes to get us through this first month. $ 14 a tube for one dog for one month. OUCH.
    So I ask the lady at the desk, why such a high dollar amount.
    She said that is the way it is. And I asked about buying online, and she wanted me to believe that stuff was not legit. She told me the advantage company ONLY sells to vets. Well, gee whiz, I am thinking..........sure is a LOT of auctions on ebay to choose from. Guess I will be doing some bidding REAL soon

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

There was a study, I'll see if I can't find the link, that said that vacuuming up fleas kills them, no need for the flea collar in the bags.

Here:
    Got fleas? Get the vacuum | Reuters

Judi

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast