How to get rid of spiders? HELP!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Default How to get rid of spiders? HELP!!!!

I hope someone out there can help me... we live in a old victorian house and there is a major spider problem inside and out...
    The problem is we have been getting bites on us we dont know if they are spiders or what....
    they are the ones that look like daddy long legs but arent. they are everywhere... I dont use chemicals or pesticides so I am looking for something natural as I have kids and dogs...
    I hope someone can help...
    Thanks... :grrrr:

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

bed bugs, fleas? spiders don't usually bite.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I have the same problem - I spend half my time getting rid of spiderwebs, and sometimes when I;m sitting in bed, the baby spiders that are as small as a pinhead land on my arm of whatever. It's lucky I don't freak out. And at least some of them do bite, alas. Not sure what species I've got.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

As my dad used to say "Spiders eat other bugs. If there aren't any other bugs, they'll just starve to death".

I'm wondering if perhaps you're getting bit by something else. Around here, the mosquitos seem to be everywhere this year. We've been getting LOTS of rain (and some flooding). I am so sick of scratching.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

The exterminator told me that they don't have anything that kills spiders, all you can do is try to take away their food sorce. By getting rid of the other bugs they eat, they will either die or go somewhere else.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by Kitchen Mama View Post
    The exterminator told me that they don't have anything that kills spiders, all you can do is try to take away their food sorce. By getting rid of the other bugs they eat, they will either die or go somewhere else.
    OR eat you!! bwahahaha!!!!

Just keep sweeping the walls and ceilings. You will eventually get them gone. But, I'm with the others on something else is doing the biting...especially if you are getting bit mostly on the legs...probably fleas...set out a cake pan on the floor (carpet)with an inch of water and a few drops of dish soap overnite with a gooseneck desklamp lit and see if you have fleas in the water in the morning. If you do, set out more pans and lights.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Get a lizard or a cat.

They eat spiders...

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

I have checked for other bugs... none... we are getting bit around the hip area... It is horrid... where can i get the demicious earth?

Registered User pollypurebred39's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

You can order it from Gardens Alive, online or through their catalog. You may be able to find it at a garden center.

IMPORTANT! There are 2 kinds of demicious earth one is for pools. DO NOT buy that kind. It is NOT food GRADE and can be dangerous. It is stated very clearly on the package what you are buying and it's uses. Demicious earth should be so pure you could sprinkle it on your own food

Banned
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ladykemma2 View Post
    bed bugs, fleas? spiders don't usually bite.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    As my dad used to say "Spiders eat other bugs. If there aren't any other bugs, they'll just starve to death".

I'm wondering if perhaps you're getting bit by something else. Around here, the mosquitos seem to be everywhere this year. We've been getting LOTS of rain (and some flooding). I am so sick of scratching.
    Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitchen Mama View Post
    Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by lparker View Post

Just keep sweeping the walls and ceilings. You will eventually get them gone. But, I'm with the others on something else is doing the biting...especially if you are getting bit mostly on the legs...probably fleas...set out a cake pan on the floor (carpet)with an inch of water and a few drops of dish soap overnite with a gooseneck desklamp lit and see if you have fleas in the water in the morning. If you do, set out more pans and lights.
    Great tip on the fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by Molemommy View Post
    I have checked for other bugs... none... we are getting bit around the hip area... It is horrid... where can i get the demicious earth?
    That doesn't sound like spiders. They don't bite over and over. More like mosquito's, fleas, or bed bugs. Ants? Are you thinking of Mosquito eaters that can look like a large spider.(maybe like a daddy long leg) but they actually kill those mosquito's.

I would never kill a spider. They serve more good. Well unless a brown recluse or black widow. One that can actually harm me. But then, they usually mind their own business. They say those Daddy long legs are the most poisonous to humans but too small to even bite a human.

Curious how you checked for other bugs? A mosquito can land in your bed in one hot second. Do you have outdoor/indoor animals?

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Are the bites sort of in a line? . . .. . ? - then bedbugs

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I agree about removing their food source. That's what our exterminator told us 2 years ago when we had a black widow problem in our new home. ACK! He came and sprayed to remove their food source, which was safe to use around our pets and children. He came back 2 more times, and (knock on wood) we haven't seen one since he killed off the brown bugs they fed on.

Good luck, that's never fun.

-vanessa

Registered User Contrary Housewife's Avatar
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Spiders don't usually bite, and when the poisonous ones do you will know it.

I'm thinking you either have fleas or you're getting bit by chiggers. It's high chigger season in the midwest and you can't see them or feel them until after you've been bit. They will crawl up your legs and bite you in the soft area behind your knees, in the crotch area (tight underwear will stop them from crossing the line) or at the waistband (can't get under elastic).

The bite forms a hard welt which develops a blister in the center after 2-3 days. It itches like mad for a week or more and may scar.
    Stop trying to organize all of your family’s crap. If organization worked for you, you’d have rocked it by now. It’s time to ditch stuff and de-crapify your world.

If you're not using the stuff in your home, get rid of it. You're not going to start using it more by shoving it into a closet.

Use it up, Wear it out,
    Make it do, Or do without. ~unknown

A clean house is a sign of a wasted life. ~unknown

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by lparker View Post

I did that exact thing and guess what? My cat came along and drank up all the water with dish soap in it. Thank God it was a dishsoap without bleach in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast