How do I get rid of ants!? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by waterbaby77 View Post
    I used borax, just sprinkled it around the floorboards and window sills and the door frames, whereever I thought they were getting in. This worked great! I don't know if it is safe for use around pets and children, however.

Several years ago, when I had ants and a lot of cats running around, I did the same thing with cayenne pepper, and it worked pretty well (although not as good as the borax). I guess the pepper gets in the neuroreceptors located in the ants' feet and screws them up!
    Borax is what we use as well.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Do you have a dollar general store if so they have ant traps 4 in pkg.about $3.00 just put them where you see ants and they will get rid of them unless there is and ant hill out side and they are coming in from that if so you will have take care of the problem out there first.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Borax is a poison.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FrugalVillage.com
    Advertisements

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by acidcookie View Post
    Terro traps. They are filled with a yummy but poisonous syrup (more or less borax + sugar as far as I know) that first will attract the ants and then they take it all back to their nest and it kills off the whole bunch. We used it in our bathroom recently and it worked perfectly. It may get worse before it gets better as the ants flock to the poison. I think you can also make your own version by boiling down water, borax & sugar and leaving it in shallow containers.
    I use those traps too and they have worked great for me. If I have to put the trap out where my dog can get to it--I tape it to something like a plastic lid from an old food container (in case it leaks out) and then I tape that inside a card board box and securely tape that closed. I put holes in the corners of the box and set the box in the area they are a problem. I just did this and it only took a couple days to eradicate the ants. I still keep an eye on the dog when it's out--but he doesn't seem to be attracted to it.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I feel your pain! Our ants in SC have no mercy. They like just about anything. I've found them attack the peanut butter lids and cooking oil. They crawled up under the caps and into the food. YUK! I keep peanut butter in the fridge, now. I feed the dogs only what they'll eat. They eat with us, so they only get a certain amount of food and we pick up the rest. Ants loved us for leaving out the dog food!

I agree with borax. I use borax powder and sugar to get rid of fire ant mounds. Sprinkle borax liberally and a little sugar on top of that. They like the sweet and take the borax, too. If I have a large ant hill, I mix borax, sugar and water in a gallon pitcher and pour over the hills. Works really good and the dogs don't mess with it. Kills the grass around the mound, but grass grows back.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Update! I couldn't find Tero traps but did find Raid traps. I put them by our garage door, front door and by our patio doors. I haven't seen an ant since I put them out yesterday afternoon!

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Chalk the outside of your house, then the inside. Or limestone powder. Works as a temp version.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Be very careful with the traps, I put out roach traps and they did work, but when my Dad's BIG puppy managed to get behind the stove and chewed on one, he died.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I sprinkle cinnamon where the come in (by the french doors at my house!) and this keeps them away

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

I made a tiny atlatl and use it to hurl tiny spears at them.

in my bathroom I spritz with bleach water that i use on the shower and when their running I use extreme prejudice and go for their pressure points using my thumb. works like a charm.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

We had ant hills forming outside very close to the house. My mom recommended baking soda. I poured some on the hill and along their paths. They had all curled up and died within hours. These were tiny ants. Don't know if it will work for bigger ones.

Ros
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHomemaker View Post
    I feel your pain! Our ants in SC have no mercy. They like just about anything. I've found them attack the peanut butter lids and cooking oil. They crawled up under the caps and into the food. YUK! I keep peanut butter in the fridge, now. I feed the dogs only what they'll eat. They eat with us, so they only get a certain amount of food and we pick up the rest. Ants loved us for leaving out the dog food!
    I'm in Georgia, and it's the same here. They are really annoying little creatures. Ours come in through our dishwasher, as well as up through other pipes, so the chalk and earth solutions don't work well. We have marble counters, so vinegar is not good for those, but I started putting eucalyptus oil in my cleaning solution (which is just castile soap and water), and that seems to really help. I can imagine that vinegar added to that, if you don't have stone, would be even better.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    ~Russ

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug
    Blog Entries

Cornmeal. And disrupt their scent trail w/ cleaner after you clean up whatever they found. Dog food is what they are after here.

Post Thanks / WTG / Hug

Terro Liquid Ant Bait! They have borax in them and something sweet to attract them and are safe around pets.

Ants INVADED my kitchen last summer. I researched and bought the Terro Liquid Ant Bait. I put it out, the ants found it in TWENTY MINUTES and were gone the next day! They take the bait back to nest and share it. So it kills the nest.

I found some coming in my bathroom last week. Did the same thing and they are gone.

TERRO is great stuff! Follow the instructions and don't mess with/move the station after you put it down.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast